Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Guild Wars 2

  1. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seizer View Post
    Man you’re tough to please Hightower. 2.5 isn’t that bad and you can always meld more skill speed to reduce GCD. Since my internet connection tends not to be the best I’ve had to use off builds with 2.55 GCD so rotation lines up for buffs and such.

    Once you get to Heavensward the game turns way more fun. ARR content meh yeah it’s boring and annoying. You can always cheat and buy a level boost that will let you skip all that content. I think you can even skip Heavensward now and go straight into Stormblood which is tons of fun.
    I don't think that makes me tough to please! 2.5s GCD is really long. WoW had a 1.5s GCD which could be reduced to 1s, last I checked. GW2 doesn't even seem to have a GCD. It's rolled into skill animations (which is kind of harder to follow, but feels more fluid than the hard limit of a GCD).

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Isla de Roatan
    Posts
    551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    I don't think that makes me tough to please! 2.5s GCD is really long. WoW had a 1.5s GCD which could be reduced to 1s, last I checked. GW2 doesn't even seem to have a GCD. It's rolled into skill animations (which is kind of harder to follow, but feels more fluid than the hard limit of a GCD).
    Your main skill in GW doesn’t really have a CD, reminds me of a player in WvW who’s name is IOnlyPress1. I might be remembering incorrectly in that most of your left bar skills do have a slight CD. Guild Wars 2 does have some great features other MMOs can learn from. The mega servers would be my first choice, FF14 kind of does this now. Not as well as GW2 eventually did. The market system and crafting system would be next choice.

    I forgot to ask Hightower which server are you on? Maybe hit some WvW sometime or even if it’s not the true WvW the mist thing where we can cause a ruckus.
    Semper superne nitens.

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seizer View Post
    Your main skill in GW doesn’t really have a CD, reminds me of a player in WvW who’s name is IOnlyPress1. I might be remembering incorrectly in that most of your left bar skills do have a slight CD. Guild Wars 2 does have some great features other MMOs can learn from. The mega servers would be my first choice, FF14 kind of does this now. Not as well as GW2 eventually did. The market system and crafting system would be next choice.

    I forgot to ask Hightower which server are you on? Maybe hit some WvW sometime or even if it’s not the true WvW the mist thing where we can cause a ruckus.

    A global cooldown (GCD) is not the same thing as an individual skill cooldown. Where CDs prevent skill overlap by ensuring that you can't just spam the same skill back-to-back-to-back, GCDs apply their cooldown to all skills with the exception of effects that have no cast time.

    The problem I have with a 2.5s GCD is that, unless I have skills to fill that time, it feels like I am always waiting before I can use another skill. In WoW it's not quite as bad, since the GCD is much shorter. But I much prefer GW2's animation-based system as it feels faster and more fluid. You can't just spam every skill. Instead, each skill has unique timing and you have to learn by feel which ones you chain together without waiting or canceling a cast.

    I'm on Henge of Denravi. So if you happen to be on that server, I'd love to roam with you (or anyone else who plays GW2!). If not, I'm down for some PvP instead. I absolutely love fighting other players (in fact, I just spent my entire day just dueling in the PvP lobby arena for no gain! LoL). So just say the word!

    ~Taverkin

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Isla de Roatan
    Posts
    551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    A global cooldown (GCD) is not the same thing as an individual skill cooldown. Where CDs prevent skill overlap by ensuring that you can't just spam the same skill back-to-back-to-back, GCDs apply their cooldown to all skills with the exception of effects that have no cast time.

    The problem I have with a 2.5s GCD is that, unless I have skills to fill that time, it feels like I am always waiting before I can use another skill. In WoW it's not quite as bad, since the GCD is much shorter. But I much prefer GW2's animation-based system as it feels faster and more fluid. You can't just spam every skill. Instead, each skill has unique timing and you have to learn by feel which ones you chain together without waiting or canceling a cast.

    I'm on Henge of Denravi. So if you happen to be on that server, I'd love to roam with you (or anyone else who plays GW2!). If not, I'm down for some PvP instead. I absolutely love fighting other players (in fact, I just spent my entire day just dueling in the PvP lobby arena for no gain! LoL). So just say the word!

    ~Taverkin
    PvP against your weaver? No thanks you’d destroy me. I never did well at solo PvP due to glass cannon type builds. Where I would succeed was in WvW running with a pack of three to four people. We’d compliment each other’s builds in a way to wreak havoc as a marauding scout group. I have some awesome memories of WvW with guild mates. The only character I made that would survive solo was engineer. This was way before heart of thorns dropped. I don’t think I’ve touched engineer since then, along with my elementalist.

    I don’t know why but after running around the game the other night and chatting with guild friends, it just doesn’t have the fun factor to it for me. I guess that happens when you play a game for years then, let the rust settle for a year and try and hop back in.
    Semper superne nitens.

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seizer View Post
    PvP against your weaver? No thanks you’d destroy me. I never did well at solo PvP due to glass cannon type builds. Where I would succeed was in WvW running with a pack of three to four people. We’d compliment each other’s builds in a way to wreak havoc as a marauding scout group. I have some awesome memories of WvW with guild mates. The only character I made that would survive solo was engineer. This was way before heart of thorns dropped. I don’t think I’ve touched engineer since then, along with my elementalist.

    I don’t know why but after running around the game the other night and chatting with guild friends, it just doesn’t have the fun factor to it for me. I guess that happens when you play a game for years then, let the rust settle for a year and try and hop back in.
    It can be that way. I somehow managed to recapture the magic when I started Taverkin, though I had previously played for many years and was probably away for nearly as many. But when I left again, coming back wasn't the same. The game has just never held my interest since then and I don't know if that's because the game has changed or I have.

    Anyway, thanks for stopping by. There aren't all that many people who know about GSIV in this world. It's kind of cool when GS people come play MMOs with me! If I decide to go on a quest for another MMO, maybe you can show me why I should play FFXIV! I wanted to like that game. But I feel like maybe I didn't give it a fair chance (that GCD though...).

    Also, I meant we could queue up for some unranked PvP together (5v5 Conquest) or, if you happen to be on HoD server, I'm a pretty sick roamer, too. I mean, don't get me wrong. I will duel anyone. In fact, the other day I managed to beat a player with "God of PvP" title (signifies a player who has previously finished a ranked season in PvP as the #1 player in the game!). Unfortunately, I didn't record that. However, I do have this one from last month where I beat a guy who had just finished the 3v3 arena season #2 in the game (Demigod of PvP). I'm not on his level, but I can be a threat and sometimes win that fight!

    Last edited by Hightower; 07-06-2020 at 09:17 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •