Page 30 of 56 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: GMs are going to literally rewrite game lore and mechanics to remove racism

1. Default

It's been so long since I played. I don't recall GS every really being G rated. Even when it was on AOL and there were thousands playing at once I don't recall it being advertised as G or the content being G rated, much less PG. Was always an adult oriented game I thought, although as I write that, I know children played it.

We should cancel the gaming industry for not providing clear ratings.
    https://stopthemadness.gop/
    https://snowflakevictory.com/

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

ďIf you donít believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you donít believe in free speech.Ē
    -My favorite liberal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    It's kind of silly. Like is this all just going to be insinuated now?

"Krovlin would...be romantic with humans...without the humans...being fully on board...then 9 months later Half-Krolvins were created!"

Or is the entire history going to be rewritten to remove all mentions of rape entirely because that's too much realism for us?
    The thing with the Krolvin is, according to the docs, the majority are from weird eugenic rape programs. It goes over the edge to unnecessarily grimdark.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Sounds like Simu let a bunch of fucktards write the Lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClydeR View Post
    Would you sit by a Chinese on a flight?

I assume by "clean up" you mean make more PG and not that you think the writing is sloppy or something.

In which case no. Yes, Elanthia is full of dangerous and evil beings and those dangerous and evil beings do dangerous and evil things.

What is there to gain from all of this whitewashing?

Are we comfortable with the lore talking about armies fighting one another and thousands dying?

What about gods that delight in tormenting the inhabitants of Elanthia?

Lore focusing on witchcraft, critters worshiping dark gods to smite their foes, people going around killing and butchering animals for their furs to make money, bandits who murder you and loot your corpse, entire species of "lesser" critters being nearly wiped out so a "higher" species can build their town in the area, evil liches, backstabbing, assassination, horrible diseases; curses; and other maladies, I could go on and on.

But rape? Nope. Not in MY GS.
    @Tgo010 fair enough. Personally I think that it makes the game a little bit more trashy than it needs to be. I can't say I would want my name on it as a company.

I honestly don't think that most people would look at that document and choose it as a hill to die on. I think it's more that this is a proxy for real-world cultural arguments among a vocal minority that happens to have an axe to grind with Simu. Which is fine, but if that's the case then let's just be honest and say that neither of us gives a shit about the lore documents.
    "You burn with hunger for food that does not exist."

Playershops 3

~ GSF:Azathoth

5. Default

Even when I played I never cared about lore documents.

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

ďIf you donít believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you donít believe in free speech.Ē
    -My favorite liberal

I feel this is off topic to an extent, because we're fixing racism. I do agree, there is not a need to include stories of rape in a game that clearly says "family friendly" in all their other policies.. The idea that it includes killing bandits and pillaging etc doesn't hold much water cause so did Mario, whatever that frog game is and pretty much any game. It's the level this goes into should be cleaned up... but not the original topic and I digress cause idc that much. Slippery slope.?

I know no kids actually play, but we all did as kids and some of this stuff is old.. i wouldnt want to introduce or try to get a kid excited and read that kinda thing
    Last edited by Realk; 06-30-2020 at 04:38 PM.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Realk View Post
    because we're fixing racism.
    How will whatever they say they are doing fix racism? (Not trolling)

-Superracist, Joe Biden

-My favorite liberal

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    The thing with the Krolvin is, according to the docs, the majority are from weird eugenic rape programs. It goes over the edge to unnecessarily grimdark.
    It's similar to what I said earlier about Dark Elves lightening their skin to fit in; it touches on real life issues and brings these issues to light.

I'm actually okay with shit like that in games and stories and whatever as long as it's done in a more subtle way such as this where it's the lore of one particular race. Yes eugenic rape programs existed in real life and were horrible, I don't think we do anyone any favors by pretending it never happened.

People used to and still to this day try to lighten their skin so they will be better accepted into society, it's fucked up they have to do that and from the lore I read it sure makes it sound like we're supposed to feel bad for the Dark Elves who had to lighten their skin to fit in, I didn't get from the lore "LOL! Stupid Dark Elves! Good!"

What I have a problem is when real life issues are just forced upon us in these types of settings. Like just flat out dumb shit like a character shouting "Racism is bad!" or "All whites are rapists!" Like wow, thanks for that! Make it a tad more subtle and relatable than that.

I think a good example of this is an episode of "Family Ties" I remember watching a long time ago as a kid. The episode was about the Keaton family encouraging their friends, a black family, to move in to a house in the neighborhood that just went up for sale. So the family moves in and of course the all white neighborhood has a problem with this and there is a big meeting at their house from the white neighbors and the black family. Some white people were just flat out against living next to a black family, some white families didn't care that they were black but were now worried about their property values dropping. Obviously the black family is upset about all of this and at one point a white man said "No one asked you to move here" and the father said something like "I'm an American citizen, I don't need to ask permission to move anywhere I want."

I know it sounds kind of silly mentioning all of this, but I think it's something that all of these years later that episode stuck out to me and I still remember it because it made a lot of sense, it touched on a real world issue with the white families being realistic and not just cartoon villains of racist white people with them all wearing hoods and torches. The black family was obviously portrayed as the victim in all of this while the white families were portrayed as ignorant jackasses. I don't think anyone who watched that episode thought "Oh gee! How racist these writers are for creating this episode with a bunch of racist crackers! Let's whitewash this episode so we never have to see such racism again!" But it wouldn't surprise me to see streaming services remove this episode from their services much like they are doing with an episode of "Golden Girls" because of "black face" which was were mud masks.

In short I don't think you solve issues or learn as a society by never being exposed to bad shit and pretending it never happened.

Now if the actual rapes were described in graphic detail then yeah I would say that's a bit too much. But just mentioning rape? Or that certain races couldn't bear the pregnancy that resulted and died? Yeah it's fucked up and horrible shit, but fucked up and horrible shit happens and we don't learn as a society by pretending it doesn't.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 06-30-2020 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage View Post
    How will whatever they say they are doing fix racism? (Not trolling)
    it wont... i was just acknowledging that rape, and how those historys are written have nothing to do with eachother. I have no problem with the race the way it is has been.. but I wouldnt mind some of that being changed. Which is why i said we are getting off topic

Quote Originally Posted by Realk View Post
    it wont... i was just acknowledging that rape, and how those historys are written have nothing to do with eachother. I have no problem with the race the way it is has been.. but I wouldnt mind some of that being changed. Which is why i said we are getting off topic
    It really makes me wonder if the only reason the rape is being done away with is because a GM equated monkeys with black people so he's basically viewing this as a bunch of black people raping women and he doesn't like that implication that he completely associated all by himself in his head.

I honestly do wonder if this was just a random race of humanoids if Krolvins/Half-Krolvins wouldn't currently be up on the chopping block for a rewrite.