Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GMs are going to literally rewrite game lore and mechanics to remove racism

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default GMs are going to literally rewrite game lore and mechanics to remove racism

This was posted in the politics folder but honestly it belongs here too.

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemSto...et_newest=true

I apologize that this message is overdue. We have been discussing this internally, but we realized that we can’t wait to speak on this until all of our plans have been finalized.

Elanthia is supposed to be a fantasy-filled, fun world where adventurers of all stripes bravely venture forth, slaying monsters, overcoming obstacles, forming communities, and having measurable impact on the ever-changing landscape around them. It is a rich and complex world, in which contrast and conflict have always existed, including racial tension and oppression among the various playable races.

Yet as much as GemStone IV is a fantasy game, it is impossible to divorce it fully from the real-life culture in which it was created and of which it is a product. We recognize that over the years, many developments and in-game systems have become a mirror and reflection of various shades of racism. These reflections have included personal racism, systemic racism, and implicit bias present in the real world, particularly against people of color, and even toward those of mixed racial and ethnic backgrounds. For many, these systems have come to interfere with the purpose of our game and the recognition of the personhood of all of our players. It is our responsibility to examine our culpability in normalizing racism as a "fun" or "harmless" diversion and how that perpetuates systemic racism in the real world. The idea that "it’s just a game" is no longer—and actually, was never—enough.

Voices have been raised among both our player base and staff members, bringing to focus these challenging issues that have been present in our beloved game for far too long. To rectify this, we plan to review and re-write documents, update mechanics, messaging, and storylines to make this a better experience for everyone. Changes will be made and are being made now. Some will happen more quickly than others. Like the challenges facing the real world, some issues we’ve identified are embedded deep within systems that have existed for decades and will take significant work to change. Some issues are so complicated that we need time to make sure we handle them competently and with the care they deserve. But the staff is wholeheartedly throwing themselves into this work. We assume we will make mistakes, but we also vow to continue working through the mistakes and to continue to embrace and learn from them as a community. We hope you can help us along in this journey through your valued feedback and passionate voices, which we hope to encourage and support as we move forward into a more collaborate and united future, both within and outside of Elanthia.
    This is dumb.

So I guess Aelotois will have never been enslaved? Dark Elves will no longer be hated in the Elven Nations?

I certainly hope they remove the aspect of killing a critter for their skin and treasure because that just reeks of a privileged person living in a capitalist society.

We can no longer use the "excuse" of "this is just a fantasy game"? I thought the whole point was this IS "just a fantasy game."

While they're at it they should go the way of D&D and no longer have inherently "evil" races. So make kobolds and orcs no longer inherently bad, sure SOME might be bad, but over 95% of them will be good, and if you attack one that isn't bad then your character should be thrown in jail. That orc probably had a wife and kids to care for!

Blog Entries

Apparently there were folks calling for this? At least that is what the multiple people saying "thank you and good change". I am definitely not a fan of it. I will only assume they will have to change GoS 'hated enemies'.

I will become a citizen of Vaalor just because though!
    Discord - Arrolus#0270

Follow my farm - Cool Story Farm on facebook and Instagram!

Arrolus - Monk
    Aromos - Cleric

I think the term is prisoners with jobs

Blog Entries

Fuck, may as well come out with GSV.

The amount of time and effort that will go into this, holy shit, the entire GS staff needs to go.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    Fuck, may as well come out with GSV.

The amount of time and effort that will go into this, holy shit, the entire GS staff needs to go.
    The staff may have no control over the change and some may even oppose it or they may have full control but I without being in the "war room" I couldn't go that far.
    Discord - Arrolus#0270

Follow my farm - Cool Story Farm on facebook and Instagram!

Arrolus - Monk
    Aromos - Cleric

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Orthin View Post
    The staff may have no control over the change and some may even oppose it or they may have full control but I without being in the "war room" I couldn't go that far.
    For the last decade I played, wrote lore (even the current EG is based off my writings) exclusively half-krolvin. The fact that Half-Krol are a "dirt blood" race is what gives them so much character.

I'm soooo glad I don't give this company of NPC's anymore of my cash.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Wow I guess we can have struggle sessions in game now.

I can see the RP opportunity now.

I’d like to call forth Kerl, Ardwen, Methais, Dreaven, Warclaidhm, Hoy, Helsfeld, Roblar and Vishra. (I don’t know everyone who is rich, if I excluded you please let me know and I will rectify my heinous oversight!) They have accumulated far too much wealth, in the form of weapons, armor, silvers and other knick-knacks. They have flaunted it in front of my characters for far too long. I feel under privileged due to my choice in character race and gender! Please Lord Wyrom! Make this right! Let the humiliation begin.

FFS it’s a game we know Valor elves hate everyone, and everyone shits on half krolvin. I can go on but at this point it doesn’t matter. I thought we played games to get away from reality, not have more of the politics shoved down our throat. Cancel culture rules!
    Semper superne nitens.

Quote Originally Posted by Seizer View Post
    Wow I guess we can have struggle sessions in game now.

I can see the RP opportunity now.

I’d like to call forth Kerl, Ardwen, Methais, Dreaven, Warclaidhm, Hoy, Helsfeld, Roblar and Vishra. (I don’t know everyone who is rich, if I excluded you please let me know and I will rectify my heinous oversight!) They have accumulated far too much wealth, in the form of weapons, armor, silvers and other knick-knacks. They have flaunted it in front of my characters for far too long. I feel under privileged due to my choice in character race and gender! Please Lord Wyrom! Make this right! Let the humiliation begin.

FFS it’s a game we know Valor elves hate everyone, and everyone shits on half krolvin. I can go on but at this point it doesn’t matter. I thought we played games to get away from reality, not have more of the politics shoved down our throat. Cancel culture rules!
    This is all correct.

Blog Entries

I kinda vary between 'maybe', 'this is dumb', and 'this will be hilarious'. Depends on how they implement it.

'maybe' = Changing some of the cringey sex god shit

'dumb' = Dark Elves are now called Super Elves

'hilarious' = Everyone loves the Super Elves

Come at me.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

10. Default

Let's not forget the dark elves essentially created and enslaved the black-skinned dwarves, the Khanshael. Elves are racist racists.
    Last edited by Furryrat; 06-29-2020 at 11:36 PM.