Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Minor Steam

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by drumpel View Post
    If they went that route to let wizards choose their element for bolts they'd need to do a revamp of creatures to implement elemental weaknesses and strengths.

I'd also like to think they'd actually let an attuned wizard have some kind of extra benefit for like elemental spells over non-attuned elements.

Too much work, probably never happen.
    Perhaps. That's ever a concern with GS. However, they have been pretty active on development as far as I can tell and they are clearly willing to entertain changes of course at this point. It occurs to me that modernizing combat a bit with tried-and-true concepts that reduce skill overlap (e.g. cooldowns, spell slot consolidation, etc.) would not only be great for players who are a little dissatisfied with combat, despite the fact that wizards are arguably one of the most powerful and versatile classes. It would also be great for developers, who must be sick to death of coming up with convoluted workarounds to deal with skill overlap. It's simply a colossal challenge without using something like cooldowns to carve niches for other spells with similar functions.

How much easier would it be to design cool and useful spells if you didn't first have to overcome the fact that a spell like minor steam gives too favorable a damage:mana ratio to make anything else worth using? They actually did a pretty impressive job of it with the wizard class. It really does feel better than ever, despite the issue with minor steam. But if we're going to do even better, I think it's time to modernize a bit.

~Taverkin

Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Perhaps. That's ever a concern with GS. However, they have been pretty active on development as far as I can tell and they are clearly willing to entertain changes of course at this point. It occurs to me that modernizing combat a bit with tried-and-true concepts that reduce skill overlap (e.g. cooldowns, spell slot consolidation, etc.) would not only be great for players who are a little dissatisfied with combat, despite the fact that wizards are arguably one of the most powerful and versatile classes. It would also be great for developers, who must be sick to death of coming up with convoluted workarounds to deal with skill overlap. It's simply a colossal challenge without using something like cooldowns to carve niches for other spells with similar functions.

How much easier would it be to design cool and useful spells if you didn't first have to overcome the fact that a spell like minor steam gives too favorable a damage:mana ratio to make anything else worth using? They actually did a pretty impressive job of it with the wizard class. It really does feel better than ever, despite the issue with minor steam. But if we're going to do even better, I think it's time to modernize a bit.

~Taverkin
    Their "solution" will probably be to nerf Minor Steam and then tell us we should be grateful.
    Last edited by Methais; 06-22-2020 at 03:31 PM.
    Discord: Methais#5420
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    Remember, I'm a tiny dick pussy.