Page 1 of 199 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: George Floyd killing and the aftermath

Default George Floyd killing and the aftermath

This deserves its own topic now.

From what I have seen so far the police were wrong. The one cop for sure should be charged with manslaughter at a minimum and murder at worst, I'm not sure what if any charges should be brought against the other cops.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 05-29-2020 at 06:59 AM.

The riots in Minneapolis getting real now.

According to reports the rioters have taken over a police building and are now setting fire to it after the cops abandoned it.

Protests with no masks or social distancing have also sprung up in NYC and Denver and other cities. I wonder if things will spiral into chaos in those cities as well.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 05-28-2020 at 11:38 PM.

3. Default

Looting has started in Minneapolis. I wonder how bad the situation is going to get.

I don't understand why someone needs to be held down with a police officer's knee on their neck, especially when there are other police officers around to help subdue the suspect.
    Last edited by Candor; 05-29-2020 at 12:04 AM.

If I was in minneapolis and was one of those people (meaning looters and rioters), i would probably think twice. okay a black person was murdered by the police. i am going to do something criminal and possibly meet these police. I guess not a lot of logic in riots and looting.

The policeman was very wrong and should go to jail, but so should the looters
    Last edited by beldannon5; 05-29-2020 at 12:37 AM.

The rioting and looting are a natural response to inaction. I don't condemn but I don't condone. The right course of action would be to detain the officers in question until a trial is held. For their own safety and public satisfaction in knowing there will be due process.
    Last edited by Astray; 05-29-2020 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beldannon5 View Post
    If I was in minneapolis and was one of those people (meaning looters and rioters), i would probably think twice. okay a black person was murdered by the police. i am going to do something criminal and possibly meet these police. I guess not a lot of logic in riots and looting.

The problem is that when black people ask for their rights nicely, they get shot.

Looting is a symptom of the problem.

And candidly- no one ever got their civil rights by asking nicely.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beldannon5 View Post

No worries. They got like a full battalion protecting the former cops house. Cuts down on the chance of running into one on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Astray View Post
    The rioting and looting are a natural response to inaction. I don't condemn but I don't condone. The right course of action would be to detain the officers in question until a trial is held. For their own safety and public satisfaction in knowing there will be due process.
    Firing the officer's was the right thing to do, though detaining any but the officer who killed the man becomes legally difficult without charges. Witness protection would be more suitable, pending a grand jury investigation.

Riots are tricky. They do far more harm than good in terms of gathering support for a cause. What's worse is those who exploit the demonstrations to loot and vandalize private property cast an incredibly dark pall over those seeking justice. Our country doesn't try folks by public acclaim, but civil disobedience, without the destruction has been a powerful tool to invoke reform

Quote Originally Posted by Some Rogue View Post
    No worries. They got like a full battalion protecting the former cops house. Cuts down on the chance of running into one on the street.
    The sheer size of that group was ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    Firing the officer's was the right thing to do, though detaining any but the officer who killed the man becomes legally difficult without charges. Witness protection would be more suitable, pending a grand jury investigation.

Riots are tricky. They do far more harm than good in terms of gathering support for a cause. What's worse is those who exploit the demonstrations to loot and vandalize private property cast an incredibly dark pall over those seeking justice. Our country doesn't try folks by public acclaim, but civil disobedience, without the destruction has been a powerful tool to invoke reform

In some states, aren’t they also guilty as well? The other officers
    Last edited by Solkern; 05-29-2020 at 03:40 AM.
    The idiot award goes to…

Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    The Constitution is not the Declaration of Independence. (I'm not at all surprised that you don't know this)
    An hour later:
    Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    "That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government." ~ The Constitution