Page 72 of 199 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast

Thread: George Floyd killing and the aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage View Post
    Yes, I'd kill people if they tried to take my guns. Without a second thought.

Also, I wouldn't be angry about it, just absolute.
    Good to know there's something you'd fight for, and I know a lot of people who feel that same way. It'd be cool if more people try to think of something like that they would fight like this for, and apply that feeling to find some empathy for people and what they're struggling with right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazar View Post
    It'd be cool if more people try to think of something like that they would fight like this for, and apply that feeling to find some empathy for people and what they're struggling with right now.
    I get this strange feeling you are comparing this to the riots.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolis View Post
    This argument bothers me, and it bothers me a lot. So let's assume a fucktard like Beto actually got elected President and held true to his Hell yeah we're taking your guns. LOL, yeah okay buddy. Good luck. Why? Because it's a giant assumption people who have the right to own them, aren't going to hide them somewhere where they can't be taken. You're also assuming all those guns are going to be magically destroyed or turned in by every person who owns one, legally or illegally. You know what happens when all the guns are gone? The people who didn't, now have all the power in a situation. You think every bad person out there is gonna just turn those in? ...... lol. If I'm a bad person and I know you likely don't have a gun, anything of yours I want is mine, because I do have a gun.*

*I would never use a gun on a person unless my life is actually threatened. I'm not actually going to rob you, unless you have nice stuff.

I mean, they don't have defense against it so what are they gonna do? Call the cops? Oh wait, they want them disbanded. How did that work out for them?
    Sorry, if you thought I was advocating for our guns being taken away, I most certainly was not. I was trying to make a point about just because it's not your issue that personally affects you, doesn't mean it isn't legitimate. There's absolutely no way I'd support disarming America. While I don't like gun violence, I also don't like the idea of there being no way for the citizens to stand up to an oppressive government. Balance man, it's not black or white, but some grey in the middle.

And I really don't think anyone is suggesting "no more police". As I stated in an earlier post, people need to feel safe, but what do you do when you don't feel safe by the people who can force you to comply, and kneel on your neck and end your life? THere's no take backs from that man. By de-funding them, they mean decrease their budget from the 75% or so it is now in most municipalities (full disclaimer, pulled that number from way far up my ass, but we spend a lot of money on police), to a more reasonable level, and focus that money into services that benefit communities and ACTUALLY prevent crime. How often do cops actually prevent crimes? Our current solution is reactionary, not preventative like it should be.

Now, imagine a world where you actually didn't need cops, because everyone had what they needed, had an education, etc. etc. and there was no motivation for crime? Just because we can't see this now, doesn't mean we can't get there. We'd all have to want it and pursue it though. We definitely don't get to that place with more police, especially if they can't figure out how to do their jobs without killing innocent people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    I get this strange feeling you are comparing this to the riots.
    I am! Because you're condemning people who are acting out because their rights are being violated and they feel unsafe. Which is the same thing (I'm sure) you and many others would do if your gun rights were threatened. It is actually a very similar comparison. I'm curious how you think it differs? Rights are rights man, and violence is violence. You can only nuance it so much.

Would it be better if this was a formal revolution? Should we organize into a revolution? Should these people form armed militias instead of rioting, like you would do? Would that make it better?

And just to state it one more time, I'm not condoning the rioters, but I certainly believe in standing up for our rights. But we don't heal this with brute force and hatred. We heal this with love and empathy for all of our citizens.

6. Default

Good to know there's something you'd fight for, and I know a lot of people who feel that same way. It'd be cool if more people try to think of something like that they would fight like this for, and apply that feeling to find some empathy for people and what they're struggling with right now.
    You say this like I don't support better policing, the rights of people to protest (not riot) or have empathy for people struggling. I do, all of it.

I'd also shoot a mofo trying to burn down my business, my home, or any anyway try to attack me or mine, or take my constitutional rights.
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

“If you don’t believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you don’t believe in free speech.”
    -My favorite liberal

7. Default

people who are acting out because their rights are being violated and they feel unsafe
    You mean people looting a store to sell shit on ebay are doing it because their rights are being violated and they feel unsafe?

Or did you mean people destroying all the government vehicles used to transport the blind and deaf, because they are government vehicles?

Or did you mean the people who are throwing bricks are the police?

Or did you mean the people who are destroying national shrines, treasures and monuments?

Or did you mean the people who are burning law enforcement vehicles?

Or did you mean the people who are attacking business owners violently?

Rioters deserve to be shot in the face and left on the street as an example. They are the worst of all of us. I wouldn't care if they all get covid and die. Or just die. Convicted rioters deserve to get no government benefits, ever. They should all be labeled felons and the rest of their lives ruined.

Talk to me about peaceful protesters, and we can have a conversation. Until the rioters go away though, your argument is fucked.
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

“If you don’t believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you don’t believe in free speech.”
    -My favorite liberal

I am! Because you're condemning people who are acting out because their rights are being violated and they feel unsafe.
    Right.

Watch that video and tell me anyone in that video is doing what they are doing because they "feel their rights are being violated" and they "feel unsafe."

See, if you actually read articles talking about it, abolish isn't brought up anywhere. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-floyd-budgets

They specifically talk about reducing their massive budgets, since most of their calls are non-violent anyways, yet in spite of that, they've been increasing spending and building arsenals. I don't think anyone wants a society with no cops... that is in fact madness. But finding other tools, instead of hammer hammer hammer hammer hammer hammer, might be a good idea.

I don't think anyone wants a society with no cops... that is in fact madness.
    That's exactly what some people are calling for. Just like any other movement there are varying degrees of craziness, the media you apparently consume tells you there is only people who are slightly crazy.

The Minneapolis city council is seriously discussing getting rid of their entire police force and starting all over again. That's fucked.

LA is talking about reducing their police budget by 10% while the city burns. That's fucked. Inflation and pay raises alone is going to doubly fuck the LAPD if they go through with a 10% budget cut, it will be more like a 20% budget cut really. You really think their budget is so "massive" that they can take that kind of hit and be anywhere near as efficient as they are now?

And people are saying shit like "Well we'll just have other people do the non-violent calls!" or whatever nonsense. With what money?! They aren't talking about cutting the LAPD budget by 10% and allocating elsewhere for these "non-violent calls."

You say it's madness because it is madness and yet you'll vote for it anyways.