Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: archery miss messaging

Default archery miss messaging

Trying out archery this weekend, and I noticed some misses do not show endrolls while others do. Why does one of these misses show an AS vs DS check, while the other does not?

You nock a wooden arrow in your long bow.
    You fire your long bow at a storm giant but the shot flies wide of the target!
    The arrow streaks off into the distance!
    Roundtime: 3 sec.

You nock a wooden arrow in your long bow.
    You fire a wooden arrow at a storm giant!
    AS: +224 vs DS: +189 with AvD: +30 + d100 roll: +23 = +88
    A clean miss.
    The arrow streaks off into the distance!
    Your mind is completely fucked. It is imperative that you unfuck immediately!

Look'n like you missed

Blog Entries

The first is essentially an EBP result. the "The arrow streaks off into the distance!" messaging used to be for arrows that would disappear and be unrecoverable.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

This reduced in frequency after I entered "aim clear"

I think the first one includes the ranged equivalent of "failed to find an opening for your strike," which happens in melee combat when you attempt to "open ambush" and the hidden roll is made against your ambush+CM skills.

So when there is an aimed location, a hidden roll is made to determine whether you can hit the target you aimed for. The hidden roll is made against perception. There are three results of this hidden roll, hit the target you aimed for, hit a different target other than the one you are aiming for, or "failed to find an opening."

@Taernath - I think I understand what you mean. I have seen EBP messages that are descriptive of an EBP (for instance messaging that the target was able to interpose his shield in time). But what you are saying is when the EBP result gets a die roll for "arrow lost" the messaging results as the first message in this post, instead.
    Last edited by gilchristr; 05-24-2020 at 04:17 AM.

There’s a flat chance to miss with ranged, 5% I think.
    My current items for sale or trade: Treasures in the Brambles.

Frequency of this messaging was greatly impacted, when open-aiming whist massively encumbered, by boosting perception from about 72 ranks to about 110 ranks. The character is level 35.

I do think this messaging includes the ranged equivalent of "failed to find an opening for your strike" that occurs when ambush/CM training is inadequate.

If you are frequently, say much more frequently than the 5% briarfox mentions, getting this messaging while aiming, get more perception ranks (if you are open aiming) or get more perception&ambush ranks if you are aiming from hiding. Just like with melee, where if you are getting "failed to find an opening for your strike," it means you need more CM/ambush ranks (or more ambush ranks if meleeing from hiding)
    Last edited by gilchristr; 05-24-2020 at 11:39 PM.

for what it's worth naijin mentioned the following during ranged discussions:

"If you're a rogue with 3x perception or a ranger with 2x perception and relevant spells then you will cap out in your 50-60'ish range. Other classes require getting closer to cap."

so perception be good, especially with the sighting -> crit conversion at your aim cap now.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by gilchristr View Post
    Frequency of this messaging was greatly impacted, when open-aiming whist massively encumbered, by boosting perception from about 72 ranks to about 110 ranks. The character is level 35.

I do think this messaging includes the ranged equivalent of "failed to find an opening for your strike" that occurs when ambush/CM training is inadequate.

If you are frequently, say much more frequently than the 5% briarfox mentions, getting this messaging while aiming, get more perception ranks (if you are open aiming) or get more perception&ambush ranks if you are aiming from hiding. Just like with melee, where if you are getting "failed to find an opening for your strike," it means you need more CM/ambush ranks (or more ambush ranks if meleeing from hiding)
    In your testing, did you notice a significant difference in accuracy between being massively encumbered while aiming and being unencumbered?

Quote Originally Posted by Donquix View Post
    for what it's worth naijin mentioned the following during ranged discussions:

"If you're a rogue with 3x perception or a ranger with 2x perception and relevant spells then you will cap out in your 50-60'ish range. Other classes require getting closer to cap."

so perception be good, especially with the sighting -> crit conversion at your aim cap now.
    So, it's likely around 150-75 ranks. That's interesting to know, and makes me guess that the formula is something like: Accuracy = d25+ .75(Perception ranks up to 150/2) + modifying skills/spells/sighting, truncated for max accuracy per location (75% for the eyes, for instance). Just a wild guess, but I'm sure there's some randomness built in.
    Last edited by BriarFox; 05-25-2020 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BriarFox View Post
    So, it's likely around 150-75 ranks. That's interesting to know, and makes me guess that the formula is something like: Accuracy = d25+ .75(Perception ranks up to 150/2) + modifying skills/spells/sighting, truncated for max accuracy per location (75% for the eyes, for instance). Just a wild guess, but I'm sure there's some randomness built in.
    yeah something like that, appears 2x is "enough" to cap aim...at cap so i guess you could 3x to 67 or so for the 200ish ranks and then call it a day. More than that could still be better i assume to counteract any penalties you might get hit with via spells or injuries, perhaps (assuming it does a full calc w/ penalties with a max value, rather than calc with a max value THEN less penalties)
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!