Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warmage Armor

1. Default Warmage Armor

What's the consensus on the value of training up to a leather breastplate versus staying at double leather? I'm having a tough time valuing the trade, especially if I am working on crit/damage padding the armor since with the double leather it will apply everywhere and with the breastplate it will only help with hits to the torso. Freeing up TPs by not having to get another 12 ranks of armor use is also pretty sweet since they are so tight for warmages generally.

Go cuirbolli don’t be a bitch
    standing between the living and the dead

The crit padding applies everywhere. You will just be using soft leather crit divisor on the "uncovered" areas.
    Last edited by BLZrizz; 05-23-2020 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyros View Post
    What's the consensus on the value of training up to a leather breastplate versus staying at double leather? I'm having a tough time valuing the trade, especially if I am working on crit/damage padding the armor since with the double leather it will apply everywhere and with the breastplate it will only help with hits to the torso. Freeing up TPs by not having to get another 12 ranks of armor use is also pretty sweet since they are so tight for warmages generally.
    Stay double leather. Crit padding is also overrated.

Don't go beyond soft leather, either full or double

you Don't need armor to lessen the impact of getting hit, don't get hit.
    Ardwen the submitive: [LNet]-GSIV:Ardwen: "not like I was given a choice to opt out of bro mode, bro"

Spell hindrance SUCKS! Even the 4% in doubles seemed to come up a lot, I ended up going down to reinforced and living with the 2%, which still seems to hit more often than 1 in 50. Mine is a UAC warmage, my armor is slightly padded, will get more at the next Duskruin, but the simple fact is, warmages get dinged a lot, carry herbs and learn to live with it.

At cap you'll appreciate the higher crit divisor on your head and neck, and rapid fire with 200 EMC makes up for hindrance easily as a warmage. I believe in doubles as the best armor for a warmage. Charge to to the face won't kill me, and that's probably the worst maneuver to manage. Implode will still mess you up though!

I'm about 7 levels from getting my warmage into studded leather with lowest spell hindrance possible. He doesn't cast much and currently the 7% from cuirbouilli armor surprisingly doesn't come up that often. Mainly keeping 506 going for the most part with a few casts of 909 and 902.

Then again, I've been working on my mutant warmage and building his redux, he takes more hits then you're average warmage so I'm working on getting him into the highest AsG possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Maerit View Post
    At cap you'll appreciate the higher crit divisor on your head and neck, and rapid fire with 200 EMC makes up for hindrance easily as a warmage. I believe in doubles as the best armor for a warmage. Charge to to the face won't kill me, and that's probably the worst maneuver to manage. Implode will still mess you up though!
    Cuirbouilli
    I agree with that 100% Maerit, my pure has 200 EMC and it is awesome, but it is a long haul for a warmage to get to that point. I suppose you could forego spells at some point and start doubling up in it, that might make sense and if that is the case, doubles would be the lowest armor I would go to, I would think real hard about breastplate or cuirbouilli, especially if I could find a paladin for fluidity.

I prioritized 2x EMC as my 1st priority at cap ahead of 2x spell aiming (which I had at 0), but prior to getting 200 ranks you can still toggle 515 on and off based on the cooldown which will help considerably during hunts keeping 506 and 919 going.

Frankly, I only see value to higher crit divisors for head / neck / eyes. Which none of the other partial armor protects better than doubles. Getting hit isn't a big deal. Getting maneuvered is the major pain. If you're hunting something with earthen fury or spike thorn that hits your legs constantly, then you'll probably want higher crit divisor for those parts. Nothing has killed me with a chest shot in a really really long time, so a breastplate seems to be redundant as I have +30 CER crit padding, and the crit ranks to chest/abs & back are always below death threshold (that's +10 from 520, +10 from armor and +10 from GoS). Maybe if you're light on padding you would find chest/abs & back deaths more common, but torso coverage hasn't been a priority for me so far. Head coverage has been the biggest area of death for my warmage.

That being said, you can also operate completely fine in full leathers and drop a padded helmet on when hunting areas which have proven deadly from being hit in the head. Hell, you can even script it so you remove your helmet before re-casting your buffs, it would just be tedious.
    Last edited by Maerit; 05-26-2020 at 12:44 PM.