Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Minus the Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Tisket View Post
    Hey, so I'd like to have a Wuhan thread that isn't 100+ pages of political argument and debate. It's an interesting thread but it's hard to wade through to find other issues, personal anecdotes or interesting stories from the members here that are related to the virus.

I'm just interested in how all of you are coping, things you might've experienced, seen or done, how your families are doing, that kind of thing.

I'm not banning political arguments but just suggesting that you take that to TG's thread. Let's keep this one on a more personal level.

Oops, apparently that isn't TG's thread, it's ClydeR's.
    I'm a hospice RN who works outpatient which means I do visits to people's homes. As you can imagine it's a vulnerable population and it's been nerve wracking trying to care for them. Big shortages with masks and hand sanitizer but stores are doing a better job restricting bulk purchases on toiletries so it's great to start seeing people get access to those again.

One of my patients is under the impression this is a hoax because of what the president has said and is still attending large gatherings (60+ people) despite my warnings. I'm in a small town where 25% of the population falls below poverty and most people aren't concerned about the virus. I frequently have to mute Fox news on their TV so they can hear me and it's definitely an uphill battle.

Had a few coworkers go home recently with covid like symptoms but there aren't enough tests at the moment to see if it's legit. Cold/cough, low grade fever, etc. Starting to donate to pools for people who no longer have PTO left.

It's pretty overwhelming. I appreciate efforts like this to check in with our small community. Feels nice 😊
    The only rude person I met was a taxi driver in kagoshima. I was going from the train station to the ferry to take it over to an island and was showing him my papers and he was like "oh, climb mountain?" and I'm like "hai, yep!" and he made a muscle pose(bent arm, whatever you call it) laughed, and rubbed my belly.. like "oh, no, you fat american fuck, you no get up there", but whatever - Japhrimel

Quote Originally Posted by Alashir View Post
    I'm a hospice RN who works outpatient which means I do visits to people's homes. As you can imagine it's a vulnerable population and it's been nerve wracking trying to care for them. Big shortages with masks and hand sanitizer but stores are doing a better job restricting bulk purchases on toiletries so it's great to start seeing people get access to those again.

One of my patients is under the impression this is a hoax because of what the president has said and is still attending large gatherings (60+ people) despite my warnings. I'm in a small town where 25% of the population falls below poverty and most people aren't concerned about the virus. I frequently have to mute Fox news on their TV so they can hear me and it's definitely an uphill battle.

Had a few coworkers go home recently with covid like symptoms but there aren't enough tests at the moment to see if it's legit. Cold/cough, low grade fever, etc. Starting to donate to pools for people who no longer have PTO left.

It's pretty overwhelming. I appreciate efforts like this to check in with our small community. Feels nice 
    Hospice and palliative care workers have it hard already without the logistics problem of the great panic, wish you the best of luck finding the supplies you need for your patients/residents.

It's pretty overwhelming. I appreciate efforts like this to check in with our small community. Feels nice ��
    Everything about this breaks my heart. But thank you for everything you do every day to help people who need you- whether they realize it or not

I've been on mandatory work from home for a month now, and I'm starting to go stir crazy. I've also been a part of our external COVID response- which is great in the sense that at least I feel like I'm doing something to help, small though it may be. My boyfriend is responsible for the COVID response for his office (a few hundred people). We've both been working nonstop- 12 hour days most days. We're both beyond exhausted.

But we're grateful to have jobs. And so far no one I know is sick. My mom and most of my aunt's and uncles have various genetic immune deficiencies. Mom's husband is a double transplant patient who has been on immune suppressing drugs. So there's a lot of anxiety right now over what happens if they do catch it.

It's just a really weird time.

Blog Entries

I don't know how people in NY are doing it (well city part of NY). I am lucky enough to live out in the sticks on 9 acres so the kids and the wife and I have room to run around and play with our animals but I could not imagine being trapped in an apartment for all this time.
    Discord - Arrolus#0270

Follow my farm - Cool Story Farm on facebook and Instagram!

Arrolus - Monk
    Aromos - Cleric

I've been working remotely for a month too. I'm in financial services, and our firm has everyone home, even sales and trading had equipment installed in their homes to conduct business. Turns out actually having a business continuity department matters. My wife, on the other hand, works for the state and they had to go from ZERO work from home capability to shoving a solution out the door (they went with Office365 VPN) and as of Wednesday of this week she's working from home too. Nobody we know is sick, and aside from walking our dog and occasional food runs (groceries/takeout) we're not doing shit. I miss the gym but I have some kettlebells and bands and I've been making the best of it. Not having to wear pants to work out is sweet at least.

I've worked from home for the last 8 years. People assume that this is no different than my normal work day.

It is. And I think my dog's change in habits exemplifies that.

In normal times, I walk my daughter to the school bus around the time my wife drives our soon to preschool. Our dog, an 8 year old pup, usually grabs one stuffed animal from each kid's bed and takes it to the front door where he naps with their familiar scents nearby until they begin arriving home at 3:30. Sometimes he musters the energy to come see what I'm making for lunch and hope I "drop" something for him, but usually he just rests at the front door all day.

I've always felt bad and thought he was depressed. But this new coronormal has revealed I was wrong.

Now, each morning when I re-fill my coffee and head to my home office for the day, he is right on my heels. We make our way to the office where he curls up beside me and naps until mid afternoon.

My dog isn't depressed. He's just an old dog that likes his sleep and having a 10 and 5 year old around all day gets in the way of that.
    Last edited by Keller; 04-04-2020 at 10:47 AM.

One of my patients is under the impression this is a hoax because of what the president has said
    The President hasn't stated this is a hoax.
    Last edited by Fortybox; 04-04-2020 at 11:05 AM.

I wish people would wake up and realize that although the virus is real, the fatality/severity of this virus is overstated and the massive freak out and subsequent economic crash is due to individuals/organizations that have a lot to gain by creating chaos. When this is all said and done, we'll find the fatality rate to barely be above the common flu.

This makes me upset because I will likely have to furlough/lay off employees in the next week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortybox View Post
    This makes me upset because I will likely have to furlough/lay off employees in the next week or so.
    Sucks you may have to furlough or lay off employees.

I'm sorry about that.