Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Minus the Politics

Oh geez. Big cats getting infected.

http://cbs12.com/news/coronavirus/ti...2020-212551847
    Last edited by Archigeek; 04-05-2020 at 08:55 PM.
    I don't use Lich. If you want to do business with me, contact me via PM, IG, or on AIM. Or maybe use smoke signals. Don't like it, get off of my lawn.

Here's a 2006 article posted on the National Institute of Health (NIH) website regarding the usage of homemade cloth masks written during the avian flu outbreak. This is in line with the CDCs unfortunately belated guidance regarding cloth masks during the COVID-19 outbreak.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3373043/

The World Health Organization recommends protective equipment including masks (if they not available, a cloth to cover the mouth is recommended) for persons who must handle dead or ill chickens in regions affected by H5N1 (5). Quality commercial masks are not always accessible, but anecdotal evidence has showed that handmade masks of cotton gauze were protective in military barracks and in healthcare workers during the Manchurian epidemic (6,7). A simple, locally made, washable mask may be a solution if commercial masks are not available. We describe the test results of 1 handmade, reusable, cotton mask.
    For material, we choose heavyweight T-shirts similar to the 2-ply battle dress uniform T-shirts used for protective masks against ricin and saxitoxin in mouse experiments (8). Designs and T-shirts were initially screened with a short version of a qualitative Bitrex fit test (9) (Allegro Industries, Garden Grove, CA, USA). The best were tested by using a standard quantitative fit test, the Portacount Plus Respirator Fit Tester with N95-Companion (TSI, Shoreview, MN, USA) (10). Poor results from the initial quantitative fit testing on early prototypes resulted in the addition of 4 layers of material to the simplest mask design. This mask is referred to as the prototype mask (Figure).

Quote Originally Posted by Archigeek View Post

Well that's not good at all.

As a general reminder, whose creating your own homemade cloth masks, looking to purchase them online, look for a cloth with a minimum thread count of about 160-180 or higher and is multi-layered.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Archigeek View Post

They did the testing about 10 miles away from where I live. I'm not sure if they transported the actual animals this time though, I know they did with mad cow disease, the transport convoy was almost a mile long.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    As a general reminder, whose creating your own homemade cloth masks, looking to purchase them online, look for a cloth with a minimum thread count of about 160-180 or higher and is multi-layered.
    A coworker made his own (well, his wife did because he can't sew worth shit) and it includes a pocket for a replaceable filter. He's using cut up, layered coffee filters for the pocket. I thought that was kinda ingenious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I like penis.
    We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men. Edward R. Murrow

Quote Originally Posted by Tisket View Post
    A coworker made his own (well, his wife did because he can't sew worth shit) and it includes a pocket for a replaceable filter. He's using cut up, layered coffee filters for the pocket. I thought that was kinda ingenious.
    Coffee filters, especially stacked coffee filters is an ingenious idea.

Put a pocket for cotton. Activated charcoal too, I think.

Yeah even pieces of paper towel can help. The idea is to make the mask as reusable as possible (the mask can be washed in the washing machine and the filter can be easily disposed of and replaced) while keeping most of your germs to yourself when you speak, cough, or sneeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Well that's not good at all.
    Yeah it's bad news on two counts:

1. This whole thing started when a virus jumped from one animal to another and mutated in the process.

2. If big cats can get it, so can little cats. Take care of your kitties.
    I don't use Lich. If you want to do business with me, contact me via PM, IG, or on AIM. Or maybe use smoke signals. Don't like it, get off of my lawn.