Thread: Couple questions about Ruby 2.0 vs Ruby4Lich

Default Couple questions about Ruby 2.0 vs Ruby4Lich

I recently did a fresh Windows10 install, and in trying to get Simu/lich stuff set back up I installed the Ruby4Lich version from the wiki. However, I noticed that none of my aliases/go2 targets/etc came over. I had backed up my old lich/Ruby directories before the install, so I tried removing Ruby4Lich and then installing the last Ruby 2.0 version, then overwriting the Ruby200 folder with my old one, and finally copied in my old lich folder. This works, but it leads me to my 2 questions:

1) Is there any downside to continuing to run this older version of Ruby, vs the 2.5 or whatever that comes with Ruby4Lich?

2) Is there a way to bring all of my settings like go2 targets, aliases and all that over into the new installation without just manually re-entering all of it?

You just needed to dump your folder you had with your LICH backup into the new LICH folder the installer made. That should of retained all your settings. As for reasons to switch, better security on the newer version and newer Ruby gems that some scripts are starting to use. Others will likely pipe in, but that's my 2 cents.
    Websites
    Lich Wiki Info
    EO Scripts Github Repository - Collaborative script development by the community.
    EO Lich5 Github Repository - Collaborative Lich Development for GS4 & DR for modern Ruby.
    Elanthia Online Forums Archive

Player of Tysong

Quote Originally Posted by horibu View Post
    You just needed to dump your folder you had with your LICH backup into the new LICH folder the installer made. That should of retained all your settings. As for reasons to switch, better security on the newer version and newer Ruby gems that some scripts are starting to use. Others will likely pipe in, but that's my 2 cents.
    Ah, right on. I will try that out later tonight with the new Ruby and my old lich folder and see how it goes, thanks.

It seems to have worked like a charm, good tip. Thanks again.