Thread: UAC Weed Mage?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default UAC Weed Mage?

I suspect this is a bad idea. But I can't figure out why.

My thinking: I like spike thorn!
    I find arrow management tedious.

Most weed mage builds include at least some archery to keep the DS viable. UAC could play a similar role? Knock em down with tangle weed, spike thorn for damage, and UAC for cleanup?

If this is a bad idea - any alternative ideas for weed mage that don't need arrows?

I'm sure it'll work. UAC really works well with any class. And it's amazing as a hidden ambush also, if you go that route.
    There are only 10 types of people in the world — those who understand binary, and those who don't.

My Trade List (kept updated)
    http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthrea...e-s-Trade-Bait

It works. I'll post my build and how I use it for you when I get home.

As a caveat, you might not consider this a true weed mage yet. That's where he's headed, but at this point is very much a Semi. That being said, I consider him a weed mage since 50%-75% of his kills come from spike; which is how I like it and what I play him around. I'll be going hard on Summoning/Spells once I have MoC, SMC, and Ambush where I want it; which I anticipate being around level 40 when I make that move. You can easily drop the FA/Survival in favor of more spell ranks and Summoning to be more magically leaning, but I find it valuable for bounties right now, but am considering fixskilling them away later. Not sure yet.

Nroth (at level 30), your base skill bonuses, ranks and goals are:
    Skill Name | Actual Actual
    | Bonus Ranks Goals In-Game Time to Goal
    Armor Use..........................| 120 30 30
    Combat Maneuvers...................| 120 30 30
    Brawling...........................| 162 62 62
    Ambush.............................| 86 19 19
    Multi Opponent Combat..............| 50 10 10
    Physical Fitness...................| 122 31 31
    Dodging............................| 120 30 30
    Harness Power......................| 120 30 30
    Spirit Mana Control................| 66 14 14
    Survival...........................| 122 31 31
    Perception.........................| 122 31 31
    Climbing...........................| 90 20 20
    Swimming...........................| 90 20 20
    First Aid..........................| 120 30 30

Spell Lists
    Minor Spiritual....................| 5 5

Spell Lists
    Ranger.............................| 30 30
    Will probably change going forward, but right now about 50%-75% of my kills go like this...

You are now targeting a rotting corpse.
    >stance offensive
    You are now in an offensive stance.
    >
    [Roll result: 103 (open d100: 20) Bonus: 16]
    You crouch, sweep a leg at a rotting corpse and connect!
    A rotting corpse falls to the ground! You deftly regain your footing.
    Roundtime: 3 sec.
    R>
    [SMR result: 139 (Open d100: 76, Bonus: 20)]
    A brindle hyena charges forward and snaps her jaws at you faster than you can react!
    ... 25 points of damage!
    Well aimed shot, punctures upper arm!
    The rotting corpse is stunned!

>
    You gesture while summoning the spirits of nature to aid you with the Spike Thorn spell...
    Your spell is ready.
    You gesture at a rotting corpse.

Dozens of long thorns suddenly grow out from the ground underneath a rotting corpse! Several of the thorns jab into the corpse!
    ... hits for 26 points of damage!
    ... 40 points of damage!
    Fine shot pierces jugular vein! The brain wonders where all its oxygen went, briefly.
    You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the rotting corpse's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens.
    The rotting corpse wails in terrifying pain one last time and lies still
    Currently have 3 ranks of sweep, and have no problems sweeping corpses, which are two level above me. I don't wait for them to move to offensive, so most my spikes are against defensive creatures. Sometimes the companion comes in clutch with a stun, but it isn't required. Tactics change [obviously] depending on what I'm hunting. If they have Earthen Fury, I spike first, spike second, spike third, spike spike spike and ask questions later. You have a complete tool kit available when the spikes aren't cutting it. You can plain jane UAC them. You can camo to punch. You can sounds casters. I occasionally open ambush when I think it's going to seal the deal. At this point, I don't use tangleweed unless there are three or more creatures in the room; but it was invaluable before I had Symbol of Mana, which I use one or two times a hunt if I'm starting at Clear. I also open with spikes if I am self spelled. Self-spelled DS I can still get hit in defensive, so when I'm sans Dreavening I spike as my opener over sweep.

I frequently have excess stamina as well, so when I UAC I tend to Quickstrike a lot.
    Last edited by TheLastShamurai; 02-02-2020 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastShamurai View Post
    As a caveat, you might not consider this a true weed mage yet. That's where he's headed, but at this point is very much a Semi. That being said, I consider him a weed mage since 50%-75% of his kills come from spike; which is how I like it and what I play him around. I'll be going hard on Summoning/Spells once I have MoC, SMC, and Ambush where I want it; which I anticipate being around level 40 when I make that move. You can easily drop the FA/Survival in favor of more spell ranks and Summoning to be more magically leaning, but I find it valuable for bounties right now, but am considering fixskilling them away later. Not sure yet.

Code:
    XXX(at level 30), your base skill bonuses, ranks and goals are:
    Skill Name | Actual Actual
    | Bonus Ranks Goals In-Game Time to Goal
    Armor Use..........................| 120 30 30
    Combat Maneuvers...................| 120 30 30
    Brawling...........................| 162 62 62
    Ambush.............................| 86 19 19
    Multi Opponent Combat..............| 50 10 10
    Physical Fitness...................| 122 31 31
    Dodging............................| 120 30 30
    Harness Power......................| 120 30 30
    Spirit Mana Control................| 66 14 14
    Survival...........................| 122 31 31
    Perception.........................| 122 31 31
    Climbing...........................| 90 20 20
    Swimming...........................| 90 20 20
    First Aid..........................| 120 30 30

Spell Lists
    Minor Spiritual....................| 5 5

Spell Lists
    Ranger.............................| 30 30
    Will probably change going forward, but right now about 50%-75% of my kills go like this...

You are now targeting a rotting corpse.
    >stance offensive
    >
    [Roll result: 103 (open d100: 20) Bonus: 16]
    You crouch, sweep a leg at a rotting corpse and connect!
    A rotting corpse falls to the ground! You deftly regain your footing.
    Roundtime: 3 sec.
    R>
    [SMR result: 139 (Open d100: 76, Bonus: 20)]
    A brindle hyena charges forward and snaps her jaws at you faster than you can react!
    ... 25 points of damage!
    Well aimed shot, punctures upper arm!
    The rotting corpse is stunned!

>
    You gesture while summoning the spirits of nature to aid you with the Spike Thorn spell...
    Your spell is ready.
    You gesture at a rotting corpse.

Dozens of long thorns suddenly grow out from the ground underneath a rotting corpse! Several of the thorns jab into the corpse!
    ... hits for 26 points of damage!
    ... 40 points of damage!
    Fine shot pierces jugular vein! The brain wonders where all its oxygen went, briefly.
    You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the rotting corpse's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens.
    The rotting corpse wails in terrifying pain one last time and lies still
    Currently have 3 ranks of sweep, and have no problems sweeping corpses, which are two level above me. I don't wait for them to move to offensive, so most my spikes are against defensive creatures. Sometimes the companion comes in clutch with a stun, but it isn't required. Tactics change [obviously] depending on what I'm hunting. If they have Earthen Fury, I spike first, spike second, spike third, spike spike spike and ask questions later. You have a complete tool kit available when the spikes aren't cutting it. You can plain jane UAC them. You can camo to punch. You can sounds casters. I occasionally open ambush when I think it's going to seal the deal. At this point, I don't use tangleweed unless there are three or more creatures in the room; but it was invaluable before I had Symbol of Mana, which I use one or two times a hunt if I'm starting at Clear. I also open with spikes if I am self spelled. Self-spelled DS I can still get hit in defensive, so when I'm sans Dreavening I spike as my opener over sweep.

I frequently have excess stamina as well, so when I UAC I tend to Quickstrike a lot.
    Could someone comment on this build in relationship to the spell hindrance? It seems like he was using spike thorn for most of his attacks, but at 30 ranks of armor, I assume he was wearing brig, which would mean 6% spell hindrance. I'm a person who, in general, really doesn't like when I get spell hindrance. With recent changes, does anyone have any issues going doubles for life? Or is there a certain level you start running into more issues where heavier armor becomes necessary and you just need to suck it up and deal with the hindrance from brig?

I have a set of 5x/5cer brig from Dark and Dangerous. I'm wondering if I should keep it and just add a set of 5x/5cer doubles so I've got both to cover me, or possibly just trade my brig for the equivalent doubles.

*Edit - Added the skills and combat as it was lost in the reply
    Last edited by Viekn; 06-11-2022 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Viekn View Post
    Could someone comment on this build in relationship to the spell hindrance? It seems like he was using spike thorn for most of his attacks, but at 30 ranks of armor, I assume he was wearing brig, which would mean 6% spell hindrance. I'm a person who, in general, really doesn't like when I get spell hindrance. With recent changes, does anyone have any issues going doubles for life? Or is there a certain level you start running into more issues where heavier armor becomes necessary and you just need to suck it up and deal with the hindrance from brig?

I have a set of 5x/5cer brig from Dark and Dangerous. I'm wondering if I should keep it and just add a set of 5x/5cer doubles so I've got both to cover me, or possibly just trade my brig for the equivalent doubles.

*Edit - Added the skills and combat as it was lost in the reply
    The rationale for why, only that poster can address. My guess is he was a ranger of those times; druid rangers wearing double leathers didn't come into vogue until after the ranger spell review. That's all there is to this. There were likely a few that wore doubles back then, but it just wasn't a common practice as it is now.

If you are doing fine in doubles as a ranger and prefer 0% spell hinderance over greater protection, wear doubles. Rangers can be successful in a very wide range of armors, use what works for you.

usually archery with weedmage but uac can work just not quite as well
    standing between the living and the dead

8. Default

Thanks for sharing this build! I’m not a purist on the weed mage - I don’t mind some punching and kicking.

I honestly hadn’t even thought of sweep or cman’s - that’s revelatory!

I do wonder about the DS and if there is anything to be done to get it up. But otherwise looks great. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Remo View Post
    Thanks for sharing this build! I’m not a purist on the weed mage - I don’t mind some punching and kicking.

I honestly hadn’t even thought of sweep or cman’s - that’s revelatory!

I do wonder about the DS and if there is anything to be done to get it up. But otherwise looks great. Thanks!
    DS hasn't truly been a problem; it just isn't impenetrable. Getting greedy is usually what kills me.

A rotting farmhand swings a rusted pitchfork at you!
    AS: +269 vs DS: +304 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +58 = +48
    A clean miss.
    This is self-spelled [including 102] + small statue, with companion guarding, 4x armor. No Symbols were running in that instance, but I usually run symbols.

It hurts my AS to run 102 and GUARD, but usually by the time I try to UAC something, they're heavily disabled.
    Last edited by TheLastShamurai; 02-04-2020 at 05:46 PM.