Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Droppage/breakage

The original gemstone 2/3 droppage system was fairly logical, if you die the items in your hands fell to the ground, if you decayed everything save a few rare things fell to the ground, that is Rapture cloaks became insanely valuable originally. Well that and if you got arrested you kept the cloaks and contents. The issue back then wasn't the system, it was the people that dragged bodies off to hidden corners of the game and let them decay to steal their gear. Which happened rather often since there was no way to stop dragging back then. Given a decent playerbase that didn't steal your shit when ya lost it and helped you recover it if it did drop the system worked fairly well, most of the time anyway.
    Khaladon starts to turn the crystal knob, but stops with a frightened look on his face. He begins shaking uncontrollably and flies across the room, as though by some invisible force.

**SPLAT!!** Khaladon careens off the far wall, slides down the smooth wood panelling and collapses into a quivering heap on the floor, with only his dignity bruised.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardwen View Post
    The original gemstone 2/3 droppage system was fairly logical, if you die the items in your hands fell to the ground, if you decayed everything save a few rare things fell to the ground, that is Rapture cloaks became insanely valuable originally. Well that and if you got arrested you kept the cloaks and contents. The issue back then wasn't the system, it was the people that dragged bodies off to hidden corners of the game and let them decay to steal their gear. Which happened rather often since there was no way to stop dragging back then. Given a decent playerbase that didn't steal your shit when ya lost it and helped you recover it if it did drop the system worked fairly well, most of the time anyway.
    Now that everyone’s old and dying irl...

Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

The best way to implement these kinds of features is to ensure there is a necessity to players having equipment such as weapons and armor, but the equipment is not, on it's own, powerful. That way you aren't carrying an uber weapon you spent years upgrading to have it lost to game mechanics.

Tie the power improvements to character modifications. Things that allow you to empower your weapons, but which is permanently attached to the character (i.e. runes, sigils, tatoos, imbedded gems... whatever). Want to boost your Attack Strength? Upgrade the runes on your arms. Want to increase your defense? Upgrade the sigil on your chest... Padding, weighting, rare script type enhancements, statistic boosts.

Then have weapons and armor which provide some benefit due to quality, but the benefit is not paramount. Weapon flares, for example, which are standard or can be obtained magically with upkeep (i.e. a permanent fire flaring weapon vs having to eblade something), but the critical damage modifier, and the attack strength boosting portion is tied to your character.

Then when the weapon is disarmed or looted / breaks the player loses their combat ability until they replace the weapon, but replacing the weapon isn't going to break their bank (in-game or out of game).

This also helps with power creep. Someone won't have a weapon that annihilates players, and you can restrict the level of character modifications to slots, so you can't say stack bonuses like crazy and become god-like. Especially if said game were to encourage any form of PvP.
    Last edited by Maerit; 01-29-2020 at 05:29 PM.

You can’t sell players a $1000 P2W weapon and then implement a way it can be broken or lost. It’s one of the other and Simu have already chosen P2W.

Make sure Methais is not invited to my Funeral people!
    Khaladon starts to turn the crystal knob, but stops with a frightened look on his face. He begins shaking uncontrollably and flies across the room, as though by some invisible force.

**SPLAT!!** Khaladon careens off the far wall, slides down the smooth wood panelling and collapses into a quivering heap on the floor, with only his dignity bruised.

Make sure Methais is not invited to my Funeral people!
    No need to worry. I don't attend the funerals of poor people.
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.

So how are you going to be buried? Tossed out of the back of a moving van driving on the interstate?

8. Default

So how are you going to be buried? Tossed out of the back of a moving van driving on the interstate?
    I've never actually thought about how I'll be buried, burned, whatever. Not my problem.
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

“If you don’t believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you don’t believe in free speech.”
    -My favorite liberal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage View Post
    I've never actually thought about how I'll be buried, burned, whatever. Not my problem.
    I'm going to be mummified and then wreck bitches like 3000 years later when I come back to life.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Well yeah. What else would I do? Fuck traffic, I'm getting the last laugh here.