Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Droppage/breakage

Default Droppage/breakage

I have been working on a GS-influenced MUD for a long time. The idea is to have similar, but perhaps somewhat simpler, mechanics - so it'll be more like GS3, but with some unncessary annoyances removed like prep times and the experience absorption-over-time system. However, I am wondering as to whether to implement droppage and breakage.

Speaking of annoyances...

From what I understand, droppage as it existed in GS3 (and GS2?) was done upon decay. What you have in your hands goes to the ground once you rot. Because of how the janitor works, this would mean items are routinely lost. I currently have droppage upon death and no janitor. Once you die, stuff in your hands hits the ground. Intelligent creatures can pick up weapons/shields and use them. There is no chance for items to be lost except if the game shut down or someone killed the creature and took it, so I do not see much of a downside.

As for breakage, I have not implemented this and was wondering if anyone at all likes this. Ophion was going to implement this for a while in GS4 but it never happened. The benefits are (I suppose) to even the playing field since even mega-equipment can break and certain materials (something akin to glaes) might become more desirable due to their toughness so it can add complexity in that way. And there's even more of an incentive not to rely on equipment at all, like pure spellcasters or a Monk-type profession.

So, are these shitty features that should not exist? Do they add more stakes to a game? Thanks in advance for your input.

I don’t know, but just make sure you call it Jemstone Fore.
    Last edited by Methais; 01-29-2020 at 05:51 AM.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Breakage is important in a game to add stress in combat. Seeking more sturdy equipment becomes a tactical choice. ( vs, for example, certain materials that are more fragile but yield better benefits (feras would be a good example)). (so tactical choice)
    Also, in the tactical field, a warrior would get advantages as they often train in 2-3 weapon styles vs a semi.

In gemstone, breakage was also a silver drain. And God knows we need one. ( so economical choice)

Someone said a couple of weeks ago that breakage in gs3 was "replaced" by chargeable enhancement. It isn't false per se but for people like me that use NO enhancement, it's a false debate.

So why breakage? Tactical and economical choice.

Droppage.

Droppage is a result of a mechanical maneuver. Disarming is a tactic to weaken someone in order to get advantage on em (either offensive or defensive). By removing droppage, you remove this aspect.

Problems with droppage, we all know it, is the janitor in gemstone. They "solve" it with their recover system but i doubt it works for other items like shields and stuff.

All and all, it's a binary choice: Do you want details in your game (more complicated) or you want it simple.

You see it in gemstone: there are lovers of mechnical aspects in gemstone (understanding and exploiting em). They are a few. Most people in gemstone don't understand half of the mechanics and just… let it go
    Last edited by Murrandii; 01-29-2020 at 09:40 AM.
    Ardwen the submitive: [LNet]-GSIV:Ardwen: "not like I was given a choice to opt out of bro mode, bro"

Breakage is stupid and only adds tedium.

Droppage should be a penalty but one for people that actually 'deserve' it.

A lot of it depends on whether you're including PVP mechanics or not. One very long running text based MMO known as ArcticMUD has full droppage upon any death. Players may or may not be able to loot their own corpses before another player, an NPC mobile or zone reset. For this reason there's a fairly detailed criminal justice flagging system allowing folks to attack one another in normal peace rooms to attempt recovery.

Seran,

Yes, it is typical for DikuMUDs to generate a lootable corpse upon death. I would say for hack-and-slash MUDs that is standard. It is harsh as hell though.

There will be PvP. In fact, it will be an environment much like Shattered (no rules) in terms of PvP. Definitely not carebear playtime like GS. Beyond safe rooms, you're on your own.

There may be a coded justice system for in-town such as flagged outlaws, jail, a bounty system, etc. The easiest system to implement is flagging PvPers and corpse-looters with "noquit" meaning they cannot quit for a certain time, and may be attacked in safe rooms.

Methais,

You're close than you think. My working title has been GrindStone 5.

Astray,

What do you mean by "deserve"? Isn't it enough that they died?

Quote Originally Posted by Jank View Post
    Astray,

What do you mean by "deserve"? Isn't it enough that they died?
    I can't remember what game had it but certain PvP or PKers had their gear drop if they griefed people. 'Red names' and all that.

Blog Entries

Droppage, no, full stop.

Breakage, no, full stop.

Some kind of maintenance system, maybe, but it needs to be non-intrusive and relatively easy on the users.

I play GS as a power fantasy. I just want to dress up my barbie and kill some goblins. I don't want to lose a sword I spent a ton of silvers/time/cash on just because a critter rolled 100 twice and it snaps or I die and for whatever reason can't get it back.
    Last edited by Taernath; 01-29-2020 at 01:00 PM.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Blog Entries

Degradation is cool, not 100% to make something unusable though. Maybe degradation of weighting/padding and enchant. All this repairable without a massive hassle, perhaps up to 80% from an NPC and 100% by a player, maybe even a temp 110% status expert repairers can have. Droppage is dumb. Outright destruction of items is dumb.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

10. Default

Just here to join with the others saying droppage/breakage (especially without outright item loss) would suck, IMO. I'm very glad GS never implemented it.