Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolling a new Paladin

Default Rolling a new Paladin

Looking for some build advice/comment

After decided (being told, really) to reroll my rogue, I decided to give paladin a shot. My plan is a maul wielding dwarf paladin. My skill plan is:

Armor Use 2x
    Combat Maneuvers 1x
    Two-Handed Weapons 2x
    Multi Opponent Combat 1x
    Physical Fitness 2x
    Dodging 2x
    Harness Power 1x
    Spells 1x

I'm still playing with the extra skills to see where I can fit them in.

For stats, I really need help. I was able to get my maul RT down to 5 seconds, but I'm probably screwed so I'd really like some help here:

Str: 90
    Con: 70
    Dex: 100
    Agi: 90
    Disc: 60
    Aura: 40
    Log: 50
    Int: 40
    Wis: 90
    Inf: 30

Thanks for any help you can provide.

First 20 levels max out str and logic, and get enough dex/agi to swing a claidh in 5 aeconds.

You'll get 5 stat changes before 20
    Just before 20 you can change your stats to be more towards growth.

When you do change your stats at 19, you wont want any stats at 100. Most set their stats for the best cap at cap they can, other pick a level around 60 or so to have great stats at a little sacrifice for stats at cap. It really goes down to how patient you want to be.

Everything else looks good. Though I would try for 2x cm if you can, even if you have to drop dodge to 1.5 or so
    Last edited by Sile; 01-09-2020 at 07:17 AM.
    There are only 10 types of people in the world — those who understand binary, and those who don't.

My Trade List (kept updated)
    http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthrea...e-s-Trade-Bait

Quote Originally Posted by Sile View Post
    First 20 levels max out str and logic, and get enough dex/agi to swing a claidh in 5 aeconds.

You'll get 5 stat changes before 20
    Just before 20 you can change your stats to be more towards growth.

When you do change your stats at 19, you wont want any stats at 100. Most set their stats for the best cap at cap they can, other pick a level around 60 or so to have great stats at a little sacrifice for stats at cap. It really goes down to how patient you want to be.

Everything else looks good. Though I would try for 2x cm if you can, even if you have to drop dodge to 1.5 or so
    Are you able to provide a little guidance on the stat settings (100 at cap and 'great' at 60)?

And good cman skills you'd recommend for a 2hander paladin?

What I usually do to figure out stats I use the program at :

http://www.nitefallz.com/statmax.html

To figure out optimal stats at 100,

Then I'd tweak them at:

http://www.nitefallz.com/index.html to give it my personal touch for what level I want them to be optimal at.

It really comes down to your preference and what you are comfortable at.

For CMans

I recommend Surge of strength and Wspec early on, later on you may want feint as an opener or for turtled creatures, or Combat Focus for a little extra TD if you need it.

Disarm is nice, but main benifit of disarm is protection from losing your weapon, when you max your bond with 1625 you'll get auto return so that isn't as dangerous. Along with the recovery system now you have no real risk of losing your weapon.
    There are only 10 types of people in the world — those who understand binary, and those who don't.

My Trade List (kept updated)
    http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthrea...e-s-Trade-Bait

This is strictly my .02 but there are essentially two types of paladins: the tank, get a big ole shield swing a blunt normally and beat stuff to death, it is a very safe route to take, and stuff will still die pretty quickly; the other is what I call the wrecking crew, which is pretty much what you chose, massive AS, going to get hit more but kill everything and eat some herbs and repeat.

Now I have never played a dwarf, but I understand there are some real advantages with TD defense so it is probably a good choice but you will struggle with roundtime until you get little older. As for stats, for all my alts, I set them to get to 20 as alive and as fast as I can, then I set all of them for cap, that is me, opinions vary. For your dwarf, I would probably set all for cap and tank influence and put all those points into dexterity and agility and maybe a little in strength. They will max out before 100 but if you are fairly studious about doing adventure guild bounties you will have enough points for a fixstat around 85 trains, sometimes sooner so you can fix anything that is already maxxed out.

Spells at 1X will be tough, I know my paladin is only about .75X in spells and you have no lores in there and you will absolutely need lores so you can consecrate a holy weapon to add flares, I forget how much but the wiki talks about it.

I agree with Sile; Wspec should be first, also give thought to your society, I would recommend Sunfist, whether it was intentional or not, Sunfist and paladins seem to compliment one another exceptionally well.

Have fun with it, once you get to 10, get deeds, you will die a bit, but I still love my paladin, he is a lot of fun.

Aim to go 1x spells until at least 1630, if not 1640 or 1650.

Be aware of thresholds such as 5, 15 and 30 ranks for multi-opponent combat.

Sunfist is great for paladins.

My .02: reroll as a monk, or even a warrior. Or anything else, really.

But if you really want to play a paladin for some reason, these starting stats come as close as you can to perfect at level 100 with a dwarf paladin:

STR: 29
    CON: 49
    DEX: 78
    AGL: 82
    DIS: 58
    AUR: 82
    LOG: 88
    INT: 70
    WIS: 58
    INF: 66

This gives you 100 in everything except INT (which will be 91) and INF (93) at cap.

Of course, setting your stats for cap will give you slower growth and less AS/CS on the way up, but it'll save you a fixstat once you hit cap. (That STR stat, which does look sad starting at 29, will be 75 by level 50).
    Last edited by khorpulent; 01-09-2020 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Versin View Post
    Be aware of thresholds such as 5, 15 and 30 ranks for multi-opponent combat.
    This is a key piece of advice (IMO), especially for paladins, because TPs tend to be very tight. (MOC might be a weird example, though, because IIRC even the "in-between" ranks may help a bit with FoF even if they don't result in additional foes being ignored completely; someone please correct me if that's wrong.) It'll be good to know and work with things like the 15 rank threshold for Summoning Lore (for max 1603 benefit and a few other things), the 25 (or 30, if you want to raise a lot, etc.) rank threshold for Religion lore (for max kneeling possibility with 1615/1630), and so on. Nairdin's paladin guide on the Wiki mentions these thresholds somewhere, though his guide is tailored toward sword/board pallies.

Planning a paladin like this is going to almost require using Tsoran's spreadsheet or something like that, though.

Thank you everyone for the information and advice. If I can summarize:

o Set stats to get to 19.9 as fast as possible
    o Before 20, use my fixstat to set my stats for future growth (level 60 or level 100) and accept it will make current hunting/training worse
    o 1x spells and and figure out how to get some lore ranks in

I like the idea of getting Tsoran's spreadsheet and planning it out and will work that process.

Thanks again everyone for the assistance.
    Last edited by Hibagon; 01-09-2020 at 07:14 PM.

10. Default

Don't worry about lores so much as indicated here. Yes, you'll want some for more kneeling chance on 1630. You may want 9 ranks of summoning lore so you can put a couple charges of 1615 into your sanctified weapon. But they're expensive - and the question becomes whether or not it's worth it short of simply waiting until you have free points (which takes a paladin forever to get). Your sanctified weapon will already be a house, as you went 2 hander. You won't "need" 1615 infused in the weapon, and defensively, 1602 might just be better anyway since it gives the target RT and you're running around with yer butt hanging out of brig for the first bit of forever in your life. You also won't be using 1603 for this very reason until you're AT LEAST level 50 or so, and so lores take a major back seat. Heck... most of the paladins I know (myself included) would say spend those points on getting closer to 2x in CM, MIU, or Arcane. Perception is also very very important now that it's tied into SMR defense. And you have no points set aside for first aid (and you'll be an herb munching machine). Forget lores. You'll be great without 'em for now.