Thread: First wizard about too hit 20

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default First wizard about to hit 20

I'm making a halfing steam bolting wizard.

His training is currently as follows. I think this is pretty standard bolting training.

Scabandari (at level 19), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
    Skill Name | Current Current
    | Bonus Ranks
    Armor Use..........................| 70 15
    Physical Fitness...................| 86 19
    Arcane Symbols.....................| 86 19
    Magic Item Use.....................| 86 19
    Spell Aiming.......................| 142 42
    Harness Power......................| 128 34
    Elemental Mana Control.............| 86 19
    Elemental Lore - Fire..............| 90 20
    Perception.........................| 86 19
    Climbing...........................| 66 14
    Swimming...........................| 66 14

Spell Lists
    Major Elemental....................| 18

Spell Lists
    Minor Elemental....................| 13

Spell Lists
    Wizard.............................| 13

I think my next lore will be air so my disks will be more useful for him and my other characters.

I'm going to change his stats. I'm not gonna set them perfect for 100, I want to make leveling easier and will fix stat later. I used the stat cruncher on nitefallz. I set them to max at level 50.

Is there a good website that will let me see at what level these stats will hit 100? Currently, his Dex is 100 so not sure how much of an AS hit I will take when I change it over and if I should be worried about it, I'm guessing not.

Start
    CO 75
    DE 70
    DI 76
    LO 88
    IT 20
    ST 94
    AG 70
    IF 21
    WI I 70
    AU 76

at 50
    CO 100
    DE 100
    DI 99
    LO 100
    IT 82
    ST 100
    AG 98
    IF 74
    WI 98
    AU 100

Does this seem like a good way to set my stats? Any input would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Lucktar; 12-23-2019 at 04:56 PM.

Ok real quick some thoughts, as far as stats go, it is a preference thing, I have two wizards, one pure that I just capped and one UAC that is in his 60's. Both had their stats set to cap at 19 and I have never seen any issues with it, but they are not halflings, even so I remember their strength stat being high since it rises so slowly, so it is a preference thing. This is my logic, the first 50 levels of the game are the easiest, almost no maneuver critters, things are not nearly as swarmy, in general a lot more survivable. So once you hit 50 you have already seen half of your stat growth, that is just my thoughts on it.

The first thing that jumped out on your training was armor use, why 15 ranks? As a bolt wizard you need to be in light leather so you have no hinderance. Hinderance=death for a bolting wizard because you will miss a cast and something will whack you quite firmly and pure wizards a squishy. You can probably hold off on training in more swimming, all of my boys are set to be 1X in both with more emphasis on climb early on. What society you are in will have a little bit of a factor on this but not a huge amount. The only place where I ever felt like I could have used more swimming at lower levels was the Monastery and that is easy enough to get into if you mastered voln, and not much other reason to go there, unless you want to waste a lot of time and hunt the elusive ki-lin, which as far as I am aware no one has ever actually seen.

Quote Originally Posted by kutter View Post
    As a bolt wizard you need to be in light leather so you have no hinderance.
    full*

Quote Originally Posted by Mathari View Post
    full*
    You are correct, my bad, FULL leather

5. Default

I was planning on wearing double leather as that what my sorcerer uses, I like the extra protection, but maybe as I wizard should jump down to full's and use my armor points elsewhere.

I'm COL, and hunting in river's rest, need 15 in each to hunt across the bay. I will be stopping at 15 for a while.

is COL popular for wizards? For sorcerer it's great as wracking doesn't mess with my casting abilities. I still wrack while bolting as it allows me to finish up my hunt and fry.

I dont understand going for major instead of minor...spell ranks 513 is cool and all but not as effective as having both 425 at level as well as 513.

7. Default

Realk,

I was following the guide on the wiki. Everything will go into Minor Elemental now.

2/2/2 by level 2
    Wizard and Major Elemental to 13
    Major Elemental and Minor Elemental until Major Elemental 18
    All Spell Research into Minor Elemental until 430 is unlocked
    Go back to Major to train it up to = Level
    Keep Major = Level, Try to get Minor Elemental = Level
    Any additional spell ranks go into wizard circle

All I know is that it will seem like a lot more than a 4% failure rate in doubles when that spell misses at the worst possible time. There are wizards that hunt in them, but when I tried I absolutely HATED it.

Wracking will lower your bolt AS as I recall, but perhaps someone else can chime in, one of my wizards is Voln and the other is Sunfist so not really sure.

Yet another good reason to be in Voln, you can symbol to any undead hunting ground, honestly that and symbol of dreams are the best two symbols in Voln as far as I am concerned and the main reason to be in it so swimming and climbing are not nearly as much of an issue. That being said as a melee wizard Sunfist or COL is likely a better option with a slight nod I think going to Sunfist, which also has sigils to aid in swimming and climbing. Ok, off to bed with me.

CoL is good for a wizard that doesn't rely on the use of bolts or swinging a weapon. I have a wizard that's strictly CS casting from the 500s and uses 917, he makes use of CoL - if he needs to wrack for more mana at some point he can continue to cast CS spells and 917 without any penalty.

Loss of spirit drops your AS attacks.
    100-75% of your max spirit = no AS penalty
    50-74% of your max spirit = 20% AS penalty
    25-49% of your max spirit = 35% AS penalty
    Less than 25% of your max spirit = 50% AS penalty.

Spirit loss also impacts your EBP (Evade/Block/Parry) chance.

Voln is a decent choice for a bolting wizard.
    Folks say GoS is good for bolting and swinging wizards. I hear a couple of the abilities can add damage weighting or crit (I forget, I don't do GoS) to swinging and even bolts.
    Last edited by drumpel; 12-29-2019 at 07:12 PM.