Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you could changer your sorcerer's race what would you change it to?

1. Default If you could changer your sorcerer's race what would you change it to?

I created dark elf for my sorcerer because that what everyone said to do when I made him back in '98. I can wrack once every hunt. It seems like if I could wrack 2 or 3 times per hunt that would for sure makeup for less CS.

From a numbers point of view, the Burghal Gnome seems like a sweet spot from CS bonus & spirit recovery bonus for wracking.

From an RP perspective, I'd like to be dwarf though.

Also seems like giantman would be good with their massive hitpoints.

I'm asking this because I'm using my 48 DE sorc to help level some of new characters and had me thinking about creating a new sorcerer with a name I like better and a different race.

If there was a FIXRACE potion would you change your race? If so why.

Also curious is if your view on what race you wish you were changed when you reached cap.

Thanks,

What I did as a DE sorcerer, I orbed +1 spirit recovery into two knuckle-blades that weigh less than a 1lb. Then I maxed out my AUR bonus from enhancives, so I can have 13 spirit. This made it so I could wrack twice if I wanted, and then use my spirit recovery items + mana bread, while on node, to get back to max spirit before the next hunt easily.

Now, I am in Voln, and close to 2x in HP, and wracking seems like it would be great if I was working on really big scroll infusion project, or something that requires a lot of mana, but I have zero mana problems during a hunt with nearly 400 mana to expend.
    Last edited by Maerit; 11-14-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Don't underestimate the racial penalties (mostly) with trading. In the long run, it can make a HUGE difference.
    Ardwen the submitive: [LNet]-GSIV:Ardwen: "not like I was given a choice to opt out of bro mode, bro"

4. Default

I sell my stuff in FWI and am a citizen there to get rid of racial penalties and get citizenship bonus.
    Last edited by Lucktar; 11-14-2019 at 01:01 PM.

at or near cap, whatever race you choose will have plenty of CS, between 704, and sacrifice any society bonuses for mana you should be fine for mana/encumberance too. really the only factor to think about from a strategic stand point is agi/dex against since most sorcerers don't start picking up cman until about the 13 mil mark.

Another major factor to consider is that you do lose DS as well as maneuver defense when you are low on spirit. While wracking provides a really easy way to max out your mana, used properly, symbol of mana can net plenty of mana during a hunt by using it early. You can use symbol of mana at the start of a hunt since it will let you exceed your maximum mana, and if you're willing to sacrifice some deeds (or gems), you can always get more mana.

Ideally, you don't need wracking during a hunt. It's a lot more dangerous to use than people realize.

1. Lowered DS (20% less DS)
    2. Lowered maneuver defense (every point of spirit less than max reduces your maneuver defense / offense)
    3. Lowered AS, not that matters much... (interesting thing to note, it does not lower UAF, but will massively lower MM for any brawling folks)

Once I hit cap, I stopped using wracking for just about everything except in the DR Arena or rare cases (like warcamp farming for necro energy) where I wanted to stay and hunt waaaay past being fried.

DE is a great sorcerer race to max your CS. I'm a CS maximizer, so for me, it is ideal. I would probably not pick a race that has a negative to either AUR or WIS. They're the most expensive stats to boost, so either start neutral with those stats or positive.
    Last edited by Maerit; 11-14-2019 at 01:53 PM.

7. Default

Not a sorc, but I am a big fan of humans and half-elves (in that order) regardless of profession. I like well-balanced races.

I agree 100% with Maerit. And go one further. If you get capped troll blood from a camp,you can make animates that last 45 min. You can refresh them, fully heal and bring timer back up to 45 min every time you sacrifice. At cap, if you have 90 necro ranks, is about every 7 min. If you give the animate a 4x off the shelf lance you can get it pushing a 500 AS. Grizzeld mobs swing harder. With 509 scrolls - can push 550 AS. If you are frugal with spell casting, you can be in the field indefinitely. Nor will you need to wrack. If you can tap a monster reliably, with a 500+ lance wielding aninamate, neither +5/-5 CS nor wracking matters.
    Last edited by Xred; 11-15-2019 at 05:08 AM.
    Join the Gemstone Player’s Union. Promoting a sustainable gemstone and player’s rights.

Burghal Gnome, oh wait I am one...

You get the best CM defense, +logic bonus (to true cap faster), 2nd best CS (-5 to Dark Elf), decent spirit regen until you 2x HP and switch to Voln.

Their biggest issues are mostly solvable for sorcerers:
    • lack of HP (solved partly by symbol of restoration 0s cooldown - as long as you're not stunned/locked infinite HP)
    • No uber +elem TD like halflings (solved by our awesome +TD spells)
    • Encumbrance - solved by 704

But seriously, as others mentioned, race for sorcerer isn't really a huge deal. Since I'm not premium I'd never roll up a Half Krovlin or Dark Elf because of the massive negative trade bonuses, but if you have FWI access, that's easily solved also.
    Last edited by Dantx; 11-15-2019 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantx View Post
    Since I'm not premium I'd never roll up a Half Krovlin or Dark Elf because of the massive negative trade bonuses.
    Meh, ensorcell sells for the same price regardless of race.