Thread: Creating dwarf col ranger

1. Default Creating dwarf col ranger

I'll be creating a dwarf ranger, he will likely be COL and end up being a spike thorn ranger. I haven't leveled a character since '98 so I'm sure things are different.

Any suggestions on the best way or type of build to use to level him from 1-20.

I will have a level 48 sorcerer hunting with him, so does that change the best type of build to level him to 20?

Anything wrong with a dwarf for this type of ranger?

Any input is appreciated!

Go halfling. Nothing wrong with a dwarf, but halflings get a massive natural elemental TD boost, mitigating a ranger’s one major weakness
    My current items for sale or trade: Treasures in the Brambles.

3. Default

Dwarves and halflings have the exact same spirit regen (2 per 5 minutes off-node, 4 per 5 minutes on-node).

Dwarves receive a +30 elemental TD bonus, have 45 more hit points halflings, and can carry a lot more due to +10 ST bonus. Dwarves and halflings both receive bonuses to TD vs. sorcerer spells, +15 (dwarf), and +20 (halfling). Both races have an AU penalty (Elemental TD stat), -10 (dwarves), -5 (halflings) - which I believe would make overall bonuses to elemental TD +20 (dwarf), and +35 (halfling).

Another factor to consider in dwarf vs. halfling is maneuver defense. AG is the primary stat for SMR v2 defense.
    AG info: -5 penalty (dwarves), +10 bonus (halflings).

It's unclear based on recent SMR v2 research just how much of a difference this will make at higher levels. In the case of a ranger - a lot of this may be mitigated by training/spells - especially 618 - to the point where the halfling's real advantage here could be negligible at best.

I would read through this thread and decide for yourself:

http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthrea...-SMR2-Findings

Noteworthy: "Then I tested stats. I put on a +40 Agi +5 Dex enhancive set, and it increased my SMR2 defense by only +2. A +50 PF, +40 Agi, +40 Dex set increased my defense by only +4."

Between these two races you could go either way and there are strong arguments for each.

A lot of people would tell you to choose ranged weapons for this build. If you decide to go in that direction - and you actually want to use your bow to hunt - halfling would probably be your choice due to +15 DE bonus (higher ranged AS).

If your plan is to sit in guarded and use 616 exclusively, I would choose the dwarf.

A question:

What is your end-game plan for this character?

Leveling to 20 is easy enough with just about any training / race / stats / society, etc. - without any help. With your sorc to spell him up it will be a breeze.

Here is what I hunted with my Weedmage 0-20:

0-7 - Giant Rats (1) - (Wehnimer's - Catacombs)

7-10 - Giant Rats (1), Kobolds (2), Rabid Squirrels (2), Big Ugly Kobolds (2) - (Wehnimer's - Outside Gates)

10-13 - Dark Vysans (3) - (Wehnimer's - Coastal Cliffs)

13-17 - Greater Burrow Orcs (8) - (Wehnimer's - Outside Gates)

17-18 - Grey Orcs (14) - (Wehnimer's - Mine Road)

18-20 - Great Bears (16) - (Wehnimer's - Lysierian Hills)
    Last edited by GSIV Rogue; 11-03-2019 at 07:45 AM.

4. Default

Wow, thanks for all the info Rogue. Lots of info to digest, and thanks for the places to hunt that will be super helpfull.

I wanted to create a ranger to help provide spells for my sorcerer. I've only ever played one character and I want to play a dwarf character.

I guess a better question would be if I wanted to play a dwarf ranger and i have a sorcerer that can provide support, what would be the best style of ranger to create?

From leveling to 20 could I use a two hander? Always wanted to use one.
    Last edited by Lucktar; 11-02-2019 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucktar View Post
    Wow, thanks for all the info Rogue. Lots of info to digest, and thanks for the places to hunt that will be super helpfull.

I wanted to create a ranger to help provide spells for my sorcerer. I've only ever played one character and I want to play a dwarf character.

I guess a better question would be if I wanted to play a dwarf ranger and i have a sorcerer that can provide support, what would be the best style of ranger to create?

From leveling to 20 could I use a two hander? Always wanted to use one.
    A lot of people use claidh until 20
    standing between the living and the dead

6. Default

If you are only using the ranger as a spellbot for your sorc then you only need to get him up to 19 anyway - and use your instant migration to get 1x ranger spells + SMC to share mana with your sorc (someone else mentioned this in your other thread). You could easily level him to 19 with a two-hander + minor elemental / spiritual support from your sorc following the creature guide I provided. In that case, I would go with whatever race / training makes you happiest.

If you decide to go on after that - rangers can be very self sufficient - especially a pure at higher levels. Their main weakness - elemental TD - can be negated by race selection (halfling, dwarf), or training (cman focus, heavier armor, ranger spells at level for max 613 benefit, +1/2 TD benefit from minor spiritual support , blessings lore), and society (CoL or GoS). In your case, since you have access to minor elemental spells from your sorc this is basically a non-issue. I think you will do fine as a dwarf / spike thorn ranger - but would probably switch off the two-handed path if you decided to level past 19/20.
    Last edited by GSIV Rogue; 11-02-2019 at 11:52 PM.

7. Default

How should I change my stats? I know I can change them 5 times. Current stats are below.

Constitution (CON) : 91 ... 35
    Dexterity (DEX) : 61 ... 5
    Discipline (DIS) : 51 ... 10
    Logic (LOG) : 90 ... 25
    Intuition (INT) : 91 ... 20
    Strength (STR) : 100 ... 35
    Agility (AGL) : 70 ... 5
    Influence (INF) : 31 ... -19
    Wisdom (WIS) : 33 ... -8
    Aura (AUR) : 51 ... -10

I plan on swinging claid till 19.

My RT is 7 seconds so I understand I need to raise my agi/dex to make that better. What should I lower to raise those up? I imagine i need str at 100, and a high logic to increase exp per pulse, not sure about how to set the rest.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lucktar View Post
    How should I change my stats? I know I can change them 5 times. Current stats are below.

Constitution (CON) : 91 ... 35
    Dexterity (DEX) : 61 ... 5
    Discipline (DIS) : 51 ... 10
    Logic (LOG) : 90 ... 25
    Intuition (INT) : 91 ... 20
    Strength (STR) : 100 ... 35
    Agility (AGL) : 70 ... 5
    Influence (INF) : 31 ... -19
    Wisdom (WIS) : 33 ... -8
    Aura (AUR) : 51 ... -10

I plan on swinging claid till 19.

My RT is 7 seconds so I understand I need to raise my agi/dex to make that better. What should I lower to raise those up? I imagine i need str at 100, and a high logic to increase exp per pulse, not sure about how to set the rest.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    I only set my stats one time based on optimization for level 100 and keep my training plan consistent from 0-100. These are personal preferences.

When setting stats for cap, most everyone will tell you to tank Influence to get all 100s in the other stats. It seems this is considered having "perfect stats" on any character but an empath or bard.

Here is a "Cheatyface Guide" that may have some info you would find useful for your plan:

https://gswiki.play.net/Cheatyface_Guide
    Last edited by GSIV Rogue; 11-04-2019 at 01:00 AM.