Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exxon Isn't the Only Fossil Fuel Giant Getting Its Ass Sued

Default Exxon Isn't the Only Fossil Fuel Giant Getting Its Ass Sued

https://earther.gizmodo.com/exxon-is...s-s-1839268301

The New York Attorney General’s office has been pursuing Exxon for years for everything from climate denial to fraud. The oil company that made billions while funding climate denial has tried to avoid ending up in court. But despite its best efforts, Exxon went on trial in a New York courtroom on Tuesday over claims that it defrauded investors.

The case is a landmark moment for climate litigation, marking the first climate fraud case to go to trial. New York Attorney General Letitia James and her office allege that Exxon defrauded investors by essentially keeping two sets of books.

A number of Big Oil firms assume future climate policies like a carbon tax or market will come into play, and they build that “price” into their analysis of whether fossil fuel projects can make money or not. In their public-facing reports, Exxon said it priced carbon at $80 per ton for all of its projects, which is much more aggressive than the current carbon pricing mechanism. Internally, the company priced carbon much lower, court documents say. The effect essentially made Exxon look like a better investment than it was, the lawsuit claims, thus defrauding shareholders to the tune of between $476 million and $1.6 billion, according to the New York AG’s office.
    And theres more! Baltimore, Colorado, and Rhode Island are also suing petroleum companies for damages due to the effects of climate change in their areas for the money to deal with the damages.

We are well past the confirmation and consensus of climate science into using it now to litigate against the companies that have tried to cover it up for so long. The science now can determine specifically how the weather has changed in different regions due to the amount of Co2 in the atmosphere and can directly link it to petroleum company output.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...back-on-trial/

If an oil pipeline breaks, you can easily point to who was responsible for the spill. However, climate change is a global problem, caused by global emissions that have uneven impacts. To sue someone, you have to prove that they caused you measurable harm. By its very nature, climate change is a difficult problem for courts to untangle.

With increasing specificity and speed, scientists have been able to tell us how much worse climate change made an extreme weather event.

Except that has changed. With increasing specificity and speed, scientists have been able to tell us how climate change intensified an extreme weather event. Now we can learn the effects almost in real-time. For instance, within weeks of the extreme heat wave in Europe this summer or the flooding from Hurricane Harvey in Houston in 2017, researchers published working papers explaining how much worse they were made by climate change. (Europe’s heat wave was 10 times more likely because of warming, and in Houston there was 38 percent more rainfall.) Still another paper analyzed how climate change fueled California’s 2012-2014 drought (up to 27 percent worse). Yet another focus of research looks at how much, say, Exxon’s historic pollution is responsible for today’s climate impacts—another area of attribution science called source attribution.

“The court room is a new frontier around addressing climate change, and I think there’s a relatively small number of scientists including myself who are engaged,” says Peter Frumhoff, chief climate scientist with the advocacy group Union of Concerned Scientists. “But as these cases emerge and proliferate, there’s an opportunity for attribution science to inform climate law…This work is at an early proof-of-concept stage.”

As E&E News noted last month, environmental lawyers expect “the next wave of climate litigation is not a matter of ‘if’ but ‘when.'”

The lawyers working on advancing climate liability cases in the courts see the advances in the science as integral to building their cases against governments for inaction, and major fossil fuel polluters for misleading the public and investors. It helps them explain why plaintiffs have standing to sue, and how the corporations and governments turned a blind eye to the robust evidence before them.
    Litigating the petroleum companies for some of the tax free billions they made while they pushed climate denial wont undo the damage but at least will justly share the cost of fixing it for everyone.

Let me see if I understand this latest bit of leftist bullshit correctly:

Humans are like "Hey, we like cars! But cars require oil! Will anyone out there pump oil out for us so our cars go vroom vroom?"
    Oil companies say "We can!"
    "Experts" come along and say "Cars cause climate change!!!"
    Democrats respond with "Well clearly this is the fault of...OIL COMPANIES! Let's sue them!"

Someone please tell me where I went wrong in my understanding.

3. Default

Could Backrash be more of a soyboy fag?
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

“If you don’t believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you don’t believe in free speech.”
    -My favorite liberal

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Annahlee View Post
    You seem to be pretty obsessed with that word. Projecting much?
    Why? You cruising for a date?

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

“If you don’t believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you don’t believe in free speech.”
    -My favorite liberal

I hear GSIV Rogue is open to meeting people from the PC to "hang out" and "chat."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Let me see if I understand this latest bit of leftist bullshit correctly:

Humans are like "Hey, we like cars! But cars require oil! Will anyone out there pump oil out for us so our cars go vroom vroom?"
    Oil companies say "We can!"
    "Experts" come along and say "Cars cause climate change!!!"
    Democrats respond with "Well clearly this is the fault of...OIL COMPANIES! Let's sue them!"

Someone please tell me where I went wrong in my understanding.
    It is interesting in that, the oil companies aren't the ones that are actually burning the fuel. I still can't afford an electric car so it doesn't really matter if the oil companies "funded denial" (whatever the fuck that means, let alone being illegal).

Slip and fall lawsuits are bullshit.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    https://earther.gizmodo.com/exxon-is...s-s-1839268301

And theres more! Baltimore, Colorado, and Rhode Island are also suing petroleum companies for damages due to the effects of climate change in their areas for the money to deal with the damages.

We are well past the confirmation and consensus of climate science into using it now to litigate against the companies that have tried to cover it up for so long. The science now can determine specifically how the weather has changed in different regions due to the amount of Co2 in the atmosphere and can directly link it to petroleum company output.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...back-on-trial/

Litigating the petroleum companies for some of the tax free billions they made while they pushed climate denial wont undo the damage but at least will justly share the cost of fixing it for everyone.
    The headline for this really should read "How to make fuel costs skyrocket"

Fuel companies should charge a premium in these areas or not sell their products there at all.
    Last edited by Neveragain; 10-23-2019 at 12:47 AM.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    ― George Orwell, 1984

― George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    It is interesting in that, the oil companies aren't the ones that are actually burning the fuel.
    What's even more interesting is the cars themselves are the ones that are requiring oil. Why aren't car companies being held accountable for selling us all polluting death machines that are going to destroy the planet in 12 years?

Oh yes of course, because Democrats have made oil companies out to be the cartoonish villain twirling their handlebar moustache while tying people of indeterminate gender to railroad tracks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    What's even more interesting is the cars themselves are the ones that are requiring oil. Why aren't car companies being held accountable for selling us all polluting death machines that are going to destroy the planet in 12 years?

Oh yes of course, because Democrats have made oil companies out to be the cartoonish villain twirling their handlebar moustache while tying people of indeterminate gender to railroad tracks.

Let's really get down to brass tacks here. Isn't it the earths fault for having oil in the first place? Fuck nature and it's dirty, dirty oil.
    Last edited by Neveragain; 10-23-2019 at 12:58 AM.

― George Orwell, 1984

― George Orwell, 1984

10. Default

If big oil is successfully sued, expect everything you own to go up dramatically in cost. Anything plastic depends on oil.

-Superracist, Joe Biden

-My favorite liberal