Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Enought Hamsters

Default Not Enought Hamsters

The treadmill that is an excuse for the GS system must be powering a PS2 with a 14.4 modem, I could not hunt in OTF last night due to the major lag caused by the Landing invasion.

When will Simu enter the 21st century? How much crunching power can it take to drive a text based game? Sheesh.

Last edited by Askip; 09-28-2019 at 10:21 AM.
    "You're well beyond training for a reason."...Gelston

Blog Entries

It's a systemic problem inherited from GSL. Can't fix it without rewriting the game.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Askip View Post
    The treadmill that is an excuse for the GS system must be powering a PS2 with a 14.4 modem, I could not hunt in OTF last night due to the major lag caused by the Landing invasion.

When will Simu enter the 21st century? How much crunching power can it take to drive a text based game? Sheesh.

You are playing a 30 year old, text based, roleplaying game.

Unplayable lag is part of the nostalgia.
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    It's a systemic problem inherited from GSL. Can't fix it without rewriting the game.
    I know that is what they say.. but that would matter if the computer hadn't advanced at all.

Here's a chart comparing 1995 to today.

Part 1995 PC 2012 PC
    Memory 8mb at $400 per 4 MB 4 gigabytes is common…, which is 4,000 megabytes
    Hard Drive 400 to 1000 megabytes 500 Gigabytes is low end… which is 500,000 megabytes. 500 GB can be as low as $80. Terabyte drives are common (1,000,000 megabytes) for less than the cost of a 1994, 400MB drive
    Processor 33MHz 4,000 MHz+ with multiple cores and countless optimizations (clock speed is not a clear measurement for processing power)
    Video 24-bit accelerated PCI Express 2 (replacing PCI, and then AGP) with 1-2 Gigabytes of dedicated RAM, for about $250
    Monitor 14” CRT 22” wide screen LCD/LED
    Sound Sound Blaster 16 (16-bit) 24-bit, PCI Express, 3d, quad core processors with onboard RAM
    Modem 28.8 Obsolete, except for users in very rural areas
    Optical Disk 2x CD-ROM BluRay, DVD, some CD-ROM left…
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

Let's just say the chart didn't translate well... because the difference between computers in 1995 and today broke it.

https://www.relativelyinteresting.co...ters-to-1995s/

And yea.. I'm not fixing it.
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    Let's just say the chart didn't translate well... because the difference between computers in 1995 and today broke it.

https://www.relativelyinteresting.co...ters-to-1995s/

And yea.. I'm not fixing it.
    It's not a hardware issue though. You can upgrade the servers to state-of-the-art tubes and it probably wouldn't change much. GSL, apparently, can only handle so many inputs before clogging up. That's why there's lag during invasions and large player events.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

7. Default

Even modern games that work like this lag when you get too much data pushed through in text form. For example, try playing a Paradox game (EU4, HoI4, Stellaris) at high speed on a computer with a just ok processor. Gemstone is marked up text, going through in large quantities to many different computers at once, with nothing based clientside. Yes, computers are faster now, but unless as Taernath said, you rewrite how the game functions on the base level, which is basically remaking it entirely, you don't fix this particular issue.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 09-28-2019 at 11:24 AM.

I already know the answer to this;

But just think how smooth future development and coding would be if Simutronics hired a small team to rewrite the base code in a better more robust language/engine. Once that was completed there would be literally millions of people that posses the knowledge to add/develop code, instead of the few that seem to have a death grip on the system based on the fact they are the only ones that know the system.

How did GS run well back when there was 2k+ people playing?

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Neovik1 View Post
    How did GS run well back when there was 2k+ people playing?
    It had fewer ambients, shorter text, and your connection was slower. It didn't run faster. There was less data going through and you could only receive it at 14,000 baud. The problem is only noticeable now that we all have future-internet and the text is all seven times as long as it was in 1995. Weren't no wizards casting AoE fireballs that sent 150 lines to 15 people in the room every 3 seconds in the 90s. It also wasn't all marked up in XML for the client as far as I know at that point.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 09-28-2019 at 12:23 PM.