Thread: Official : Lumnis Contest Ending

Default Official : Lumnis Contest Ending

The Lumnis Contest has now ran for 10 periods and will no longer run in the future again. It was originally designed to measure how much experience characters were earning over a period of time so we could better determine a bonus value for the Lumnis weekly experience boost. We originally thought it could be a fun game for players to best each other at and help set a global bonus. It originally did meet that goal, but as more time went on, it became something to dread due to the amount of work that would go into trying to achieve the highest possible bonus and the type of behavior it promoted. Going forward (in all instances), the global Lumnis experience boost will multiply your first 7300 experience points by 3, and your next 7300 experience points by 2, for a total bonus of 21900.

A few details from the contest will continue to exist in the LUMNIS verb for historical purposes, but will later be removed.

GameMaster Estild

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemSto...et_newest=true

21900 is weak, I was hoping for 22 or 23k. Lame. But doing the contest did suck.

I mean it's not exactly a lot of experience in the grandscheme so the decrease in exp doesn't matter but seriously, what the fuck. 7300 for a bonus of 21900... SO INTUITIVE.

Would the world fucking end if you just said 7500 per phase so 22500 total so you could be in the ballpark of what we usually got and it would be you know, nice round numbers for just ease of use. I don't think that extra 600 exp a week was going to ruin anything.

Estild has got to be so annoying to work with IRL.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

An average of the contest score earned by players over 10 contests works out to 21,775.2.

Dropping the highest and lowest contests' scores, the average works out to 21,835.5.

At no point was there any contest score higher than 22,224 earned by the players in the 2.5 years of the contest (2017Q4).

Just sharing facts, not weighing in on expressed opinions or taking sides.
    Last edited by Risen; 09-25-2019 at 01:32 PM. Reason: specifying contest score not individual score

Blog Entries

I think they should make it a clean 30k.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Wait, tired, how will this affect my quintuple orb brooch if at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by Anticor
    If you and Jar Jar Binks had a child it would rule the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Burrell
    Wikka wikka my nikka yo yo yo yo: CHECK IT. Tha thang in the thang and bedump bedump da BEBANG knowwhatIsayin?!

Quote Originally Posted by Donquix View Post
    I mean it's not exactly a lot of experience in the grandscheme so the decrease in exp doesn't matter but seriously, what the fuck. 7300 for a bonus of 21900... SO INTUITIVE.

Would the world fucking end if you just said 7500 per phase so 22500 total so you could be in the ballpark of what we usually got and it would be you know, nice round numbers for just ease of use. I don't think that extra 600 exp a week was going to ruin anything.

Estild has got to be so annoying to work with IRL.
    21,900 is actually more than what we scored as a top 50 for the last 2 contests. Assuming Risen's math is correct (which I'll believe as I'm way too lazy to double check), it is also more than we averaged over 10 contests. That was with a fair number of people spending 6 hours in-game doing a mind-numbing cycle of selling gems and then spending all their time on a supernode.

All indications were that our contest number was trending downward, as a lot of high scorers were expressing burnout from participating in the contest. I likely would have continued to do my part to keep the average up, but I think in general that interest in the contest was very much waning. I'll take a fixed 21,900 bonus experience and never having to do the contest again any day of the week. I think the number is fair, but I will say that if I were a betting man, I would have said they were going to set the bonus at 21K (first 7K at 3x, next 7K at 2x). That number is way more intuitive, but I wouldn't advocate for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Burrell View Post
    Wait, tired, how will this affect my quintuple orb brooch if at all?
    The brooch from Rings of Lumnis is unrelated to the Lumnis contest. The brooch will retain all the abilities it has, and you can continue to use it as you have previously.

Quote Originally Posted by malmuddy View Post
    21,900 is actually more than what we scored as a top 50 for the last 2 contests. Assuming Risen's math is correct (which I'll believe as I'm way too lazy to double check), it is also more than we averaged over 10 contests. That was with a fair number of people spending 6 hours in-game doing a mind-numbing cycle of selling gems and then spending all their time on a supernode.

All indications were that our contest number was trending downward, as a lot of high scorers were expressing burnout from participating in the contest. I likely would have continued to do my part to keep the average up, but I think in general that interest in the contest was very much waning. I'll take a fixed 21,900 bonus experience and never having to do the contest again any day of the week. I think the number is fair, but I will say that if I were a betting man, I would have said they were going to set the bonus at 21K (first 7K at 3x, next 7K at 2x). That number is way more intuitive, but I wouldn't advocate for it.

The brooch from Rings of Lumnis is unrelated to the Lumnis contest. The brooch will retain all the abilities it has, and you can continue to use it as you have previously.
    The last 2 contests were low because people were super burned out. Even with a couple people abusing the new fastabsorb boosts and getting 35k+ the bottom ends were horrific, i imagine if you took the middle 6 - 8 contests (so dropping the ones before people knew how to lumnis, and the last 1-2 were people were really mailing it in as the grind was wearing on people and it overlapped with other events) the average would be 21.9 - 22ish

Do the math, take about the average, round up to the number that makes sense for humans, bask in the good will of players would would overreact to you giving them an essentially meaningless 31k experience a year.

Or do exactly what what your TI-89 tells you because you have no ability to understand humans.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

This seemed about as appealing as a circle jerk, buh bye lumnis contest
    Your mind is completely fucked. It is imperative that you unfuck immediately!