Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Late/end game society - pitch me GoS vs Voln

Way post-cap for a Monk, I could see GoS being more powerful overall, but the Voln perks are very nice for right at cap when your TD is low, and you have permablessed UAC with symbol of supremacy to make up for the loss of glove/boot enchant. In the end, GoS is incredibly strong as a society. I use it on 3/4 of my primary characters. My sorcerer is still in CoL until I start spending TPs on going to 2x&3x HP - once I do that, Voln for him all day long.

Also, never understimate Supremacy's ability to boost your CS vs undead to make 1219 more reliable in SoS.

PS - What do you do as GoS when you're room blasting everything in SoS and your weapon bless runs out on gloves or boots? I imagine GoS in SoS benefits most from high-end GUB or Permablessed gear...
    Last edited by Maerit; 09-20-2019 at 11:51 AM.

2. Default

It doesn’t make much sense to use sleep and then mstrike. why not just mstrike in the first place as it’s exactly the same thing?

I use sleep by sleeping a room of 5 or more and then focus mstriking or killing one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maerit View Post
    PS - What do you do as GoS when you're room blasting everything in SoS and your weapon bless runs out on gloves or boots? I imagine GoS in SoS benefits most from high-end GUB or Permablessed gear...
    If my bless runs out, I pull out a cestus and keep going. If the bless on my cestus runs out, I pull out my other cestus. My boots usually take 3 or 4 hunts before the bless wears off, so I just make sure I dispell/rebless inbetween hunts. My perspective is probably skewed on the voln/bless issue because I have access to a capped cleric and a 3x/day 1604 wand for max blesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistra View Post
    It doesn’t make much sense to use sleep and then mstrike. why not just mstrike in the first place as it’s exactly the same thing?

I use sleep by sleeping a room of 5 or more and then focus mstriking or killing one at a time.
    If a creature decides to lie down and take a nap, it reduces UDF....

Though your'e right, especially, series of focused mstrikes is generally quicker than an open mstrike with only a few creatures.
    Last edited by khorpulent; 09-20-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by khorpulent View Post
    Lol, what I'm doing is taking on 20-30 creatures at a time in SoS. For whatever reason, I find it fun to take on stupidly large swarms when someone like Jahmilli is running around the Sanctum. Sleep is great if you're taking on a handful of creatures a time, but if I'm taking on more creatures than I can mstrike at once, I can't afford to have a couple of them wake up and start tackling or spitting acid at me. A couple shots of 1219 keeps the whole room locked down for more than enough time to clear a room without getting maneuver locked. It's true that you could just spam sym sleep between every mstrike, but you're still waking six or seven of them up every time you strike, and it burns a shitton of favor. Though if you do Reim with HoA every now and then, you can pretty much spam sleep all you want.

I'm also fairly sure that 1219 does immediate RT in some cases. Or at least, when I've accidentally cast it against my alts, I have seen that to be the case. I don't know if it's an endroll thing, or if it's just a random chance or what.

Honestly, I wouldn’t trade 1219 for 410 if I could. I did find it a bit underwhelming until my CS got somewhere in the ballpark of 410 (I think it’s at 417 now), but with higher warding margins it can totally lock down a room full of creatures in a way that 410 can’t. Plus, most capped players have enough TD to ward a stray cast, whereas 410 is considerably less player friendly (yeah yeah, and sleep is totally player friendly, I know). And if you’re Sunfist, the cost of 19 mana isn’t a big deal because sigil of power makes mana a non-issue.
    sleep + turning a couple times to git rid of the lurks. no one cares about looting lurks for 5 silver and a clear topaz, leaving like 8 things that matter.

1218 never gives instant status/RT, even with a 500+ endroll. If you get lucky the "round" timer will trigger right away, but there's always a small gap there, usually a second or two, before the effect kicks in.

I would trade 1219 for 410 in a heartbeat. 410 is one of the most broken spells in the game. Eitherway, we're splitting hairs. 1219 and sleep are both really good. And if i'm super paranoid about a bad storming room i'll cast both (like in the sanctum turn + sleep + 1219) for instant getting rid of trash lurks, immediate disable, and then vertigo persistent disable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistra View Post

because with 2 hits, with them disabled, and krynch i'm almost certainly at tier2 or tier 3, on all of them, so they're some combination of dead, stunned, or missing a limb (probably). then start spamming 1 second head punches to clean up. most things shake off status effects anyways at cap so...they're just gonna shake off sleep on the next round anyway. Pre-cap leaving them asleep is certainly a great option depending on the area / you're training at the time.

edit: lol, side note i was looking at logs and stuff because of this and shapers shake off PRONE before they shake off SLEEP. So they end up sleeping while upright as far as the game is concerned.
    Last edited by Donquix; 09-20-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

Hm yeah, you're right, there's no immediate RT. Must have just had a cast where there was almost no time between the cast and the first round of RT. Either way, 1219 is the shit.

I'm just barely post cap but I enjoy hunting/bounty the Rift and Scatter, so Voln shines the brightest for me. But I'd be interested in peeking at some other post cap monk's skills. I just maxed dodge and I'm filling in PF at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by wetsand View Post
    I'm just barely post cap but I enjoy hunting/bounty the Rift and Scatter, so Voln shines the brightest for me. But I'd be interested in peeking at some other post cap monk's skills. I just maxed dodge and I'm filling in PF at the moment.
    i did dodge (capped with near 3x so finished off) -> PF -> picked up a bunch of the cheap secondary stuff (more climb/swim, 40 trading, 1x survival, 1x FA) -> MOC 190 -> lores (capped with 15 transformation) -> spells (capped at 36/20 raised monk to 48 to max 1208)

currently i'm sitting on a fuckton of ptps deciding what to do. the effective thing would be more spells, finish lores, more spellburst ranks, etc. but i'm leaning toward a weaponskill to pick up just for fun. I always planned on doing edged + finish TWC or THW but with the RECOVER changes thrown is temping since it's so cheap.
    Last edited by Donquix; 09-21-2019 at 08:05 AM.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

Lack of any AS boosters makes me a sad panda thinking of training weapons on a monk ;(

Also I am nearly step 10 of Voln and so far so good, Bonespear is paradise for this. Bigget hit by FAR is to my mana reserves for spellups. I only bother putting up an hour at a time, whereas I used to do 4 hours with sigil of power available.

Quote Originally Posted by audioserf View Post
    Lack of any AS boosters makes me a sad panda thinking of training weapons on a monk ;(

Also I am nearly step 10 of Voln and so far so good, Bonespear is paradise for this. Bigget hit by FAR is to my mana reserves for spellups. I only bother putting up an hour at a time, whereas I used to do 4 hours with sigil of power available.
    meh. usual warrior build only has like 16 to 20. (bond and between 3 and 5 spec) when not berserking. Obviously significant but not gamebreaking, but yes it does suck. Thrown does help with that also with the lower DS.