Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enchanting Difficulties - overly lax?

Default Enchanting Difficulties - overly lax?

Is it just me, or are the enchanting difficulties very relaxed under the new system?

I was just curious, checking a couple of items and seeing if I should bother to continue under the old system or move to the new system - at least for one of my wizards. I figure'd I'd check the difficulty of a few items, do a cast of 925 without an old style potion in my other hand and compare them to difficulty checks under the new system.

(at level 72), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
    Skill Name | Current Current
    | Bonus Ranks
    Armor Use..........................| 20 4
    Physical Fitness...................| 173 73
    Arcane Symbols.....................| 191 91
    Magic Item Use.....................| 191 91
    Spell Aiming.......................| 218 118
    Harness Power......................| 226 126
    Elemental Mana Control.............| 178 78
    Elemental Lore - Air...............| 189 89
    Elemental Lore - Water.............| 159 59
    Perception.........................| 140 40
    Climbing...........................| 144 44
    Swimming...........................| 128 34

Spell Lists
    Major Elemental....................| 40

Spell Lists
    Minor Elemental....................| 30

Spell Lists
    Wizard.............................| 80

In a workshop, with familiar, not encumbered/injured:

7x (+35) gornar with 5 CER
    gorveneh potion (old system): You will likely need a miracle to complete this enchantment.
    no potion (new system): you can only fail to enchant it if you are horribly unlucky.

4x (+20) rhimar with 6 CER:
    rhiveneh potion (old system): Unless you are horribly unlucky, you should have no trouble enchanting
    no potion (new system): you can only fail to enchant it if you are horribly unlucky.

5x (+25) zorchar with 5 CER:
    zorveneh potion (old system): You are more likely than not to succeed on your cast

6x (+30) zorchar, no weighting:
    zorveneh potion (old system): Under the current conditions this enchantment will be difficult, but possible

5x bone weapon (inspects as bone):
    dirtokh potion (old system): You will likely need a miracle to complete this enchantment.
    no potion (new system): should be able to enchant it easily enough, barring bad luck

I only hung on to the old system because I had a few dozen items I wanted to at least get up to 4x and it was faster doing them all at once than trying to build up 16k essence each week to plink away at it. Now that I'm caught up and this wizard isn't capped, but is fairly well built for enchanting, some of these items I'd like to move up more, it's just too difficult under the old system.

I feel the new system is overly lax on difficulties. What the hell's the point of needing the elemental flaring potions if there's no difficulty, that I noticed, showing up in my testing. A item that is impossible under the old system (7x gornar weapon with 5 CER) to being impossible to fail under the new system.

Looks like it's probably time to change over to the new system.....

2. Default

As far as I've seen, if it looks like you're able to do something in the new system, you should probably bug report it. If you use it you'll be penalized for mechanics abuse.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 09-13-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Reported for obvious GMA.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    As far as I've seen, if it looks like you're able to do something in the new system, you should probably bug report it. If you use it you'll be penalized for mechanics abuse.
    With both systems out - you have to hold the potion in your left hand to get the difficulty reading for the old enchanting system. Otherwise you're given the difficulty of the new enchanting system regardless if you're using it or not.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by drumpel View Post
    With both systems out - you have to hold the potion in your left hand to get the difficulty reading for the old enchanting system. Otherwise you're given the difficulty of the new enchanting system regardless if you're using it or not.
    That's not what I mean. I mean it may or may not be intentional that the new system is easier in some cases than the old. There's no documentation, but the last people who used the new system as it was implemented where it differed from the old system got penalized for game mechanics abuse.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 09-13-2019 at 10:54 AM.

I think that if the items you listed are the type of stuff you are interested in enchanting, and you generally max your essence every week (or even if you get close), you should switch to the new system. Doing enchants in the 5x - 7x range are faster in the new system if you max essence every week versus using the old system with no ability to infuse potions.

I think there are some items with scripts that were enchantable in the old system but show as impossible in the new. You don't seem to be affected by this, but it is something to consider in case you do have something that falls into this category.

Me personally, I have two post-capped wizards where one has moved to the new enchanting system, and the other is still in the old. I have a third wizard that is right around where yours is. I have kept her on the old system only because I don't actively hunt with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    That's not what I mean. I mean it may or may not be intentional that the new system is easier in some cases than the old. There's no documentation, but the last people who used the new system as it was implemented where it differed from the old system got penalized for game mechanics abuse.
    That's from rare metals that people knew shouldn't be enchanted - anyone that says otherwise are ignorant and suck at playing dumb. I don't have sympathy for those people. I didn't come in to debate what metals can't be enchanted and what can, just questioning the difficulty checks that seem pathetically low on known metals that can be enchanted.

But, since you brought it up....just to put things to rest on the subject:

Coraesine, feras, urglaes, urnon, zelnorn, krodera and kroderine couldn't be enchanted under the old system (not sure if I'm missing any) - why would people think this would change with the new update?
    Enchant itself didn't change, just how it functions when we cast it.

Instead the long temper times, it was changed to instant casting.
    Instead of +5 increments, it was changed to +1
    Instead of unlimited number of 0-4x casts and 1 major slot, you're limited by essence earned from hunting
    A lot of restrictions on what you could enchant were in place due to type of flare (if non-elemental) and script. It was changed to allow a lot of scripts previously blocked and other non-elemental flares to be enchanted (more like how 735 can be cast on a ton of stuff)
    Metal properties did not change; metals that couldn't be enchanted under the old system still can't be enchanted under the new.

As I said above - anyone that says otherwise are ignorant and suck at playing dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by malmuddy View Post
    I think that if the items you listed are the type of stuff you are interested in enchanting, and you generally max your essence every week (or even if you get close), you should switch to the new system. Doing enchants in the 5x - 7x range are faster in the new system if you max essence every week versus using the old system with no ability to infuse potions.

I think there are some items with scripts that were enchantable in the old system but show as impossible in the new. You don't seem to be affected by this, but it is something to consider in case you do have something that falls into this category.

Me personally, I have two post-capped wizards where one has moved to the new enchanting system, and the other is still in the old. I have a third wizard that is right around where yours is. I have kept her on the old system only because I don't actively hunt with her.
    That's what I was thinking. I'd probably switch over on this wizard since I do hunt him and it only takes around 9-10 hours to max his essence. My other wizard, I don't hunt as much so I'm keeping him on the old system for now - anyway, he's working on 6x project so it'll be a month or so before he finishes it.

Thanks for the info.

9. Default

That's from rare metals that people knew shouldn't be enchanted - anyone that says otherwise are ignorant and suck at playing dumb. I don't have sympathy for those people. I didn't come in to debate what metals can't be enchanted and what can, just questioning the difficulty checks that seem pathetically low on known metals that can be enchanted.

Coraesine, feras, urglaes, urnon, zelnorn, krodera and kroderine couldn't be enchanted under the old system (not sure if I'm missing any) - why would people think this would change with the new update?

Instead of unlimited number of 0-4x casts and 1 major slot, you're limited by essence earned from hunting
    A lot of restrictions on what you could enchant were in place due to type of flare (if non-elemental) and script. It was changed to allow a lot of scripts previously blocked and other non-elemental flares to be enchanted (more like how 735 can be cast on a ton of stuff)
    Metal properties did not change; metals that couldn't be enchanted under the old system still can't be enchanted under the new.

As I said above - anyone that says otherwise are ignorant and suck at playing dumb.
    I didn't come here to debate metals either. What I am saying is that you were not specifically told that enchants were easier in the new system. Your research now shows that they are easier, and there's no documentation to reference whether or not that's supposed to be the case. Bug report it. That covers your ass in the event that 6 months from now it's said that "You all knew that it shouldn't be that easy to enchant these things and you conspired to do it anyway". Switch to the new system if you want, but BUG REPORT THE POTENTIAL BUG. If it's not a bug, nothing happens. If it is a bug, you've covered your ass.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 09-13-2019 at 12:18 PM.

10. Default

naos_metal_mods.jpg