Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Mechanics Abuse Reminder

Default Game Mechanics Abuse Reminder

Game Mechanics Abuse Reminder on 08/28/2019 11:51 PM EDT
    Please be reminded of POLICY 7 regarding bug abuse:

GemStone IV Player Policy: Bug Abuse

Attempts to gain an unfair advantage which circumvents the letter or spirit of the rules presented in the documentation and version notes, as judged solely by Simutronics, are a violation of policy. Types of abuse range from sending special characters or signals to the software to obtain an unusual result, to using normal game mechanics in ways they are clearly not intended.

Examples of serious bug abuse: Disconnecting from the merchant manager to avoid paying the purchase price of an item; finding a "feedback loop" with spells or mana points, which allows spells to be cast multiple times with little or no cost; repeatedly injuring yourself (or another character) in order to generate experience for an empath or cleric; finding a special circumstance in which to use a potion whereby its quantity is not decremented when it is used; abusing game mechanics to cause duplication of items or silver.

Abusing bugs disrupts the balance of GemStone IV and reduces its effectiveness to remain an entertaining product. Sometimes there will be a great temptation to abuse a bug for personal gain because the negative effect is not readily apparent. Therefore, Simutronics will exercise no tolerance whatsoever for anyone participating in this type of activity.

Bugs should always be reported. Serious bugs should be REPORTed and BUGged, while minor ones should be BUGged. If you observe someone else abusing a serious bug, or discussing a plan to abuse one, and fail to report it, you are subject to the same penalties as they are. Serious bugs should be reported through GemStone IV Feedback.

Benefits obtained from bug abuse may be confiscated. Failure to cooperate with Simutronics as to the extent or nature of a bug, or failure to be honest about the benefits obtained from bug abuse, is grounds for immediate lock-out from GemStone IV.

A few days ago it came to our attention that a bug existed in the new-style enchanting formula that allowed items with a material that should be impossible to enchant to be instead enchanted with a completely blanked difficulty rating instead. While unfortunate, bugs do happen. We fixed the bug that was causing this and were prepared to move on, pending an investigation of logs to see how many items were enchanted while this bug was in effect.

Unfortunately, during this investigation we discovered pretty damning evidence that a group of players was not only aware that this bug existed but were organizing to exploit it as much as they could before it could be discovered and patched. We discussed the evidence and the best course of action over the last few days and have come to the following decisions:

All players who were involved in the organized bug abuse will be issued an official warning for game mechanics abuse as per POLICY 7. All items that were enchanted as a result of this bug will be reset back to their original enchantment level. No refunds of essence, silver, bloodscrip (in the case of items bought specifically to abuse this bug or subsequently serviced at Duskruin), or any other costs incurred to enchant these items will be permitted.

We would like to remind players who were aware of this bug and the plan to abuse it but failed to report it, that POLICY 7 does allow for penalization on that basis.

As a summary, please be sure to BUG all bugs and then refrain from abusing said bugs to gain an in-game advantage. If you become aware of a bug and a plan to abuse it, you must also REPORT it or else you risk being penalized as well.

Coase

This message was originally posted in Help for Players, Policy Discussions. To discuss the above, follow the link below.

http://forums.play.net/forums/19/210/2230/view/468
    "You're well beyond training for a reason."...Gelston

There must be beans. Somebody spill 'em.

Blog Entries

No bans? I sleep.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Sounds like they got let off pretty easy, if you ask me. Makes me wonder who it was even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Avaia View Post
    There must be beans. Somebody spill 'em.
    The beans = Simu QC are a bunch of noobs and they blame their incompetence on the players.
    Last edited by Methais; 08-29-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

>A few days ago it came to our attention that a bug existed in the new-style enchanting formula that allowed items with a material that should be impossible to enchant to be instead enchanted with a completely blanked difficulty rating instead.

Which materials are impossible to player enchant? I can only think of veil iron and zelnorn are there any others?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    >A few days ago it came to our attention that a bug existed in the new-style enchanting formula that allowed items with a material that should be impossible to enchant to be instead enchanted with a completely blanked difficulty rating instead.

Which materials are impossible to player enchant? I can only think of veil iron and zelnorn are there any others?
    Probably adamantine or coraesine. Coraesine was at DR too, so more likely that.
    Last edited by Gelston; 08-29-2019 at 10:05 AM.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius1 View Post
    Sounds like they got let off pretty easy, if you ask me. Makes me wonder who it was even more.
    I’d guess Alastir. Wasn’t he the one responsible for getting myklian scales nerfed, cause he abused the system?
    Semper superne nitens.

Quote Originally Posted by Seizer View Post
    I’d guess Alastir. Wasn’t he the one responsible for getting myklian scales nerfed, cause he abused the system?
    Good old Inspire.

I do think the warning Nodyre got was messed up. He enchanted his ICE age krodera just to see what would happen. But enchanting krodera gains you no mechanical advantage (In fact I'd call it a waste of an enchant, since you can't ensorcell it.).

But if people were knowingly enchanting multiple things that were actually worthwhile, that is a different story.