Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crashing across multiple characters

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wetsand View Post
    No solution I've found but I've also been experiencing this issue lately. Game gets real choppy, lags in and out, 5-10 second pauses, and then boom the lagged time comes immediately and half the time I get disconnected but only on my end. Characters still ghosting on the server. I ping my ISP, no issues. It is super frustrating.
    Yup this has been happening to me in the last 2-3 days too.
    Discord - Arrolus#0270

Follow my farm - Cool Story Farm on facebook and Instagram!

Arrolus - Monk
    Aromos - Cleric

Just curious, are you running multiple characters using the same instance of lich?

I found that I had to create multiple lich folders for each character to avoid crashes.

Wow, so it's a year since I bumped this thread with my issue. Replacing my modem+router solved it completely and also significantly improved my home WiFi performance. I didn't know how old and shitty my gear was (~5 years at that time) I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastir View Post
    Just curious, are you running multiple characters using the same instance of lich?

I found that I had to create multiple lich folders for each character to avoid crashes.
    Yes, I've give that try.

Quote Originally Posted by audioserf View Post
    Wow, so it's a year since I bumped this thread with my issue. Replacing my modem+router solved it completely and also significantly improved my home WiFi performance. I didn't know how old and shitty my gear was (~5 years at that time) I guess.
    It might be time for some router upgrades. I can't even remember when I bought mine. What model(s) did you end up with? I want to say my modem is decently newish (Arris TM1602).

Blog Entries

That's what my ISP recommended I do until I went into the router itself and installed some updates and reevaluated the devices connected to the network. Fuck you, Cox, I'm not renting your cringy buzzword PANORAMIC GIGABLAST router.
    Last edited by Taernath; 01-05-2021 at 10:02 AM.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

No solution I've found but I've also been experiencing this issue lately. Game gets real choppy, lags in and out, 5-10 second pauses, and then boom the lagged time comes immediately and half the time I get disconnected but only on my end. Characters still ghosting on the server. I ping my ISP, no issues. It is super frustrating.
    Just because your ping to your ISP is good, doesn't mean the hops for getting to the Simu server from your location are good. Sadly, it could just be something simply out of your control.

I used to have a script I wrote up about 10 years ago when I had my computer help desk job. The script would run a few command prompts when customers complained about bad internet (even though we weren't their ISP some of us more experienced techs tried to help the customer best we could). Each command prompt would apply a date/time stamp and write to it's own text file. One command prompt would ping from your computer to your router, another would ping from your computer to your modem and the others would ping out to a couple of different public DNS. This way I'd just copy the script over to the remote computer and let it run for about 4 hours and then I'd go back in to check the logs and see where the disconnect problems were.

I'd say that about 90% of the time the issue was the ISP or external hops to the desired location (which was connectivity to credit card companies to process sales). The other 10% of the time it was an issue with internal network cabling (cat5/6 cables going bad - generally it's not a concern for most people with wired connections, but these places of business the employees were always fucking around with cabling...moving the router/switch box, unplugging something they shouldn't and so on so the cables got a lot of wear and tear on them from constantly being moved). Replacing the cat5/6 cables generally fixed the issue, sometimes a replacement switch or router was necessary, but it wasn't as common as cables needing replacement.

All you can do on your end is make sure you have a stable network connection which may include as going as far as replacing your wired connections, router and/or modem (which may belong to your ISP and they would have to determine if that was needed). If the issue isn't on your end internally, then the problem is outside of your location and most likely out of your hands.

Yes, I've give that try.

It might be time for some router upgrades. I can't even remember when I bought mine. What model(s) did you end up with? I want to say my modem is decently newish (Arris TM1602).
    I got the ISP provided modem and router initially, but that router was a pile that caused me a whole different set of problems (I'd randomly lose DNS and be unable to access the web for a minute or two). After trying and failing to troubleshoot that for a week or two, and my ISP swearing the router was fine, I bought a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and it kicks ass. Easy to set up and has been problem free operation for almost a year.

I got the ISP provided modem and router initially, but that router was a pile that caused me a whole different set of problems (I'd randomly lose DNS and be unable to access the web for a minute or two). After trying and failing to troubleshoot that for a week or two, and my ISP swearing the router was fine, I bought a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and it kicks ass. Easy to set up and has been problem free operation for almost a year.
    Ironically I just updated my router to a nighthawk AC2300 but still having the issue before and after the router change, i dont have a modem im on fiber
    Whayle#4476

Run a ping to 8.8.8.8. When you crash, see if you have packet loss (will see packet timed out in the ping). If it is a consistent issue, it is likely your ISP, they could have problems in their node or something else that is intermittent enough that they haven't found it yet. Something like that is usually on the local level though, either a problem with your network or your ISP.

To run a ping:
    In Windows, hit Windows+R. In the Run window, type “cmd” into the search box, and then hit Enter. At the prompt, type “ping 8.8.8.8 -t" without quotes and then hit Enter. Leave it running while you play so you can check it when your connection drops.

The only time I've had that issue it was an uncapped coax connection in my house causing interference on the coax feed. Capping the unused connection fixed the issue. Networks are imperfect things that no one has time or money to properly maintain, so sometimes you have to do 90% of the work or more yourself to get a resolution to something like this. Or get lucky and get a tech sent out that actually knows what they are doing, but they are far and few between in my experience.

Also, if you use a VPN that can commonly cause other issues like MTU black holes if there are CGNAT providers and such in the path to you and Simu's servers. Much harder to diagnose... still done with pings, but have to manipulate the size of them to find breakpoints.
    Last edited by Blazar; 01-05-2021 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazar View Post
    Run a ping to 8.8.8.8. When you crash, see if you have packet loss (will see packet timed out in the ping). If it is a consistent issue, it is likely your ISP, they could have problems in their node or something else that is intermittent enough that they haven't found it yet. Something like that is usually on the local level though, either a problem with your network or your ISP.

To run a ping:
    In Windows, hit Windows+R. In the Run window, type “cmd” into the search box, and then hit Enter. At the prompt, type “ping 8.8.8.8 -t" without quotes and then hit Enter. Leave it running while you play so you can check it when your connection drops.

The only time I've had that issue it was an uncapped coax connection in my house causing interference on the coax feed. Capping the unused connection fixed the issue. Networks are imperfect things that no one has time or money to properly maintain, so sometimes you have to do 90% of the work or more yourself to get a resolution to something like this. Or get lucky and get a tech sent out that actually knows what they are doing, but they are far and few between in my experience.

Also, if you use a VPN that can commonly cause other issues like MTU black holes if there are CGNAT providers and such in the path to you and Simu's servers. Much harder to diagnose... still done with pings, but have to manipulate the size of them to find breakpoints.
    Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=119
    Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=119

that 27ms was the crash, oddly enough with that crash only 2 of the characters crashed out, but the third stayed in a bit after until this

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=119
    Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=119
    Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=119

BUT the 2 that crashed out were still at the table in game

The thing is this seems to happen almost exactly every two hours
    Whayle#4476