Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brawl/Thrown Style

Default Brawl/Thrown Style

I've been toying around with a new F2P rogue after the RECOVER changes to thrown weapons, and I have to say it works quite well now.

2x brawling
    2x thrown weapons
    2x combat maneuvers
    2x two-weapon combat
    3x dodge
    2x perception

As many points as you can until 2x armor use.

With some creative scripts, you can hunt pretty easily with 4-6 weapons. I have been using ebladed fist-scythes, and they shred my targets easily. The RT for this is only 5s with throwing 2 weapons at the same time. I think I'd have similar speeds with hammers too, which would ultimately be stronger DF, but you'd want to only equip them right before hurling to avoid having a DS penalty.

In the end, throwing two flaring weapons with 5s RT is pretty strong. The recover hurl is less annoying than gathering arrows too. I'll have to try the thrown sniper tactic too to see how it compares.

Quote Originally Posted by Maerit View Post
    I've been toying around with a new F2P rogue after the RECOVER changes to thrown weapons, and I have to say it works quite well now.

2x brawling
    2x thrown weapons
    2x combat maneuvers
    2x two-weapon combat
    3x dodge
    2x perception

As many points as you can until 2x armor use.

With some creative scripts, you can hunt pretty easily with 4-6 weapons. I have been using ebladed fist-scythes, and they shred my targets easily. The RT for this is only 5s with throwing 2 weapons at the same time. I think I'd have similar speeds with hammers too, which would ultimately be stronger DF, but you'd want to only equip them right before hurling to avoid having a DS penalty.

In the end, throwing two flaring weapons with 5s RT is pretty strong. The recover hurl is less annoying than gathering arrows too. I'll have to try the thrown sniper tactic too to see how it compares.
    With more dex/agi you can likely get that down to 4 seconds. That's the case for axes, and I can't imagine it's worse for first scythes. I suppose it could be, since they aren't a thrown weapon or customary hybrid, but seems unlikely.
    I don't use Lich. If you want to do business with me, contact me via PM, IG, or on AIM. Or maybe use smoke signals. Don't like it, get off of my lawn.

EDIT: I re-read your post and realized you were throwing brawling weapons. The following advice would only be worth taking if you were holding thrown weapons, i.e. javelins. I'll leave it up just to give you an additional training option to consider.

If you want to free up some TPs for more armor or hiding/ambush, you can consider dropping down brawling to 1x or even .5x. The only time you're ever relying on it for parry defense is when you're in an offensivish stance after you've thrown your weapons. If you look at the parry DS formula, you'll see that weapon ranks are only part of the formula. If you're in offensive, each weapon rank is only offering you like .2 DS.

Let's say your character is around 30, and has 60ish weapon ranks. 2x brawl parry offensive DS would be 6 higher than 1x at the cost of 180/60 TPs. When you're higher level and your armor use needs have been met, you can then start working back towards 2x brawling.
    Last edited by Zarston; 08-24-2019 at 09:00 AM.

That is some great tips Zarston! I kept brawling at 2x so I wouldn't have to get blessed hurling weapons for undead, and I can just UAC the undead since they're less susceptible to the value of thrown weapons (crit kills). If I ever decide to maintain a 2nd bandolier of blessed weapons, it would be better for my training plan to drop to 1x brawl just for defense, and focus on throwing weapons that are more suited for the task.

Also, I was using the fist-scythes for hamstring at one point, which did put me into RT while having the weapons equipped. I could carry a pair of them for hamstring/feint (if I stick with those CMANs), and then swap before I throw though.
    Last edited by Maerit; 08-24-2019 at 09:48 AM.

Seems like an interesting build. What made you choose fist scythes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius1 View Post
    Seems like an interesting build. What made you choose fist scythes?
    Originally, I was using fist-scythes in order to use hamstring as my opener and maintain DS with brawling because I would have a brawling weapon equipped while in RT. Hamstring them with 2 weapons (was pretty nice), then hurl. I have recently been tweaking this build a ton, and have landed on a more sustainable (less outside help needed) setup.

2x shield use
    2x dodge

= medium shield for defense

1x brawling
    2x thrown weapons
    2x combat maneuvers
    2x perception
    2x physical fitness
    2x ambush
    3x stalking & hiding

He hurls e-bladed handaxes from hiding (sniper style), and kills targets in 1-3 hits usually at just level 11 (no society or outside spells). With the TWC hurling style, you can hurl two handaxes from the open with just 5s RT, or you can hurl 1 handaxe from hiding with 4s RT (aimed). Either style is deadly. The problem is that carrying the # of handaxes you need to finish a target with TWC was heavy, and even with a warrior weapon harness and 95 STR stat, he was experiencing minor encumbrance. Switching to ambushing with a single weapon reduced the # of weapons to carry before having to "RECOVER HURL", and subsequently was easier to manage.

Dropped down from carrying 10 e-bladed fist-sythes to 4 e-bladed handaxes (which all fit in the warrior made harness). If the target somehow survives three thrown hits, I do a quick recovery and return to stealth.

With the above setup, I have great DS, enough to up-hunt without much issue while also being able to stay hidden for most attacks. It's probably a little slower, but a lot safer.

Now they just need to make an Erinthian merchant that sells throwing stars and kunai.

Also very disappointed that throwing nets don't have a guaranteed grapple flare when you successfully hit the target. I mean, they suck for damage, so why don't they always flare!?
    Last edited by Maerit; 08-27-2019 at 01:23 PM.

I've wondered how well throwing Sais to the eye would work!

sounds great, but um..

logs or it didnt happen
    Quote Originally Posted by FAPAuctions View Post
    Jaeden fights with the strength and determination of a divine zealot.
    http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=55156
    Quote Originally Posted by IorakeWarhammer View Post
    you really made a whole thread because you got stunned?

Here's a couple examples a level 11 hunting level 15 ogres.

Code:
    >get handaxe from my harness
    You remove a handaxe from in your weapon harness.
    >hide
    Roundtime: 3 sec.
    You attempt to blend with the surroundings, and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
    The ogre sniffs around looking for something.
    A large ogre looks frustrated.
    >stance offensive
    You are now in an offensive stance.
    >hurl ogre head
    With a quick flick of your wrist, you deftly send a handaxe into flight.
    You throw a handaxe at a large ogre!
      AS: +169 vs DS: +55 with AvD: +30 + d100 roll: +76 = +220
       ... and hit for 91 points of damage!
       Horrible slash to the large ogre's head!  Brain matter goes flying!
       Looks like it never felt a thing.
    The large ogre falls to the ground and dies.
    The scintillating red light surrounding the handaxe fades some.
    Bad angle.  The handaxe fails to stick in a large ogre.
    [Use the RECOVER HURL command while in the appropriate room to regain your item.]
    Roundtime: 4 sec.

>hide
    Roundtime: 3 sec.
    You attempt to blend with the surroundings, and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
    >stance offensive
    >hurl ogre head
      AS: +169 vs DS: +85 with AvD: +30 + d100 roll: +22 = +136
       ... and hit for 17 points of damage!
       Cut over the large ogre's right eye.
    Momentum carries a handaxe past a large ogre to land nearby.
    [Use the RECOVER HURL command while in the appropriate room to regain your item.]
    You feel fully energetic again.
    >hurl ogre head
      AS: +169 vs DS: +82 with AvD: +30 + d100 roll: +59 = +176
       ... and hit for 48 points of damage!
       You broke the large ogre's nose!
       The large ogre is stunned!
     ** As you hit, your handaxe flares with a burst of fire! **
       ... 5 points of damage!
       Minor burns to right leg.  That hurts a bit.
    Momentum carries a handaxe past a large ogre to land nearby.
    >hurl ogre head
      AS: +169 vs DS: +51 with AvD: +30 + d100 roll: +42 = +190
       ... and hit for 69 points of damage!
       Gruesome slash opens the large ogre's forehead!
       Grey matter spills forth!
    The large ogre falls to the ground and dies.
    The handaxe is deflected to one side, sailing to the ground.
    >recover hurl
    ...wait 3 seconds.
    [hurl]>recover hurl
    ...wait 1 seconds.
    >stance defensive
    >recover hurl
    You are now in a defensive stance.
    You come out of hiding.
    You spy a handaxe and recover it.
    >put handaxe in my harness
    You need a free hand to pick that up.
    You put a handaxe in your weapon harness.
    >recover hurl
    You know a handaxe is around here somewhere, but you don't see it.
    >recover hurl
    >recover hurl
    You know a handaxe is around here somewhere, but you don't see it.
    >stance offensive
    >recover hurl
    You stand back up.
    >recover hurl

it's certainly a tempting idea. i've been toying with the idea of forging a bunch of spears (hell, with the fest right now could get most of them lightened without having to waste notes!) and trying a hurling build with a warrior. Ora is easy enough to find someone who can eblade it for you.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!