Thread: Hi! I'm having a hard time forging a perfect steel spear

1. Default Hi! I'm having a hard time forging a perfect steel spear

Hi!

I'm having some difficulty forging a perfect steel spear, which a friend wants to enchant to 4x.

I've mastered crafting and polearms completely (500 ranks of each). Here are my current stats as a level 24 dwarven warrior:

Code:
    Strength (STR):    82 (26)    ...  110 (40)
    Constitution (CON):    82 (31)    ...   82 (31)
       Dexterity (DEX):    94 (22)    ...   94 (22)
         Agility (AGI):    95 (17)    ...   95 (17)
      Discipline (DIS):    78 (24)    ...   88 (29)
            Aura (AUR):    75 (2)     ...   75 (2)
           Logic (LOG):    82 (21)    ...   82 (21)
       Intuition (INT):    52 (1)     ...   52 (1)
          Wisdom (WIS):    60 (5)     ...   60 (5)
       Influence (INF):    48 (-11)   ...   48 (-11)
    Thanks for any recommendations!
    /LiardClan1/

Blog Entries

Your stats, race, and profession play a role, but it's essentially just luck. You need a perfect head, perfect shaft, and a perfect vise attempt. Stockpiling perfect heads and shafts, then doing a bunch of vise attempts while using Gift of Eonak would be your best bet.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

70 seconds a vise attempt.

Gift of Eonake is 15 minutes. So, 900 seconds / 70 per vise = 12 vise attempts before your gift wears off

I tend to craft out 12 best heads and 12 best handles, then I toss up a Gift of Eonake and vise away. Usually I end up with at least 2 perfect weapons, but that's not always the case. Be prepared to come away with zero perfects or if you're extremely lucky like my last vise session, I walked away with 6 perfect weapons (2 mauls, 3 falchions and 1 dagger). Out of my last 4 Gift of Eonakes I used over the past 3 months:

I got 1 perfect on the first.
    I got 0 perfects on the second.
    I got 2 perfects on the third.
    I got 6 perfects on the fourth.

Plug away at it, it may take some time. And I do this with my dark elf wizard.

My advice is to search playershops for enhancives. +Dis enhancives are usually pretty cheap. Get a +40 set if you can, for the vise.

Mobius and drumpel both gave good advice. What you need to remember as well is that it is a numbers game. There is about a 5% chance to craft a best piece. And once you have two best pieces, there is about a 5% chance which goes up to apparently 8%, didn't know that till recently, if you use a perfect hammer, which you should be, of combining them to make a perfect weapon. So if you do the math it is 20 pieces each to get one best and about 15.5 combinations to get a perfect. Now, that does not take into account age, profession, stats, etc. The simple answer is, forging is a grind, you just have to make a bunch and hope for the best and hedge your bets some like they said.

I still occasionally forge for people, but there is not much demand and to be honest, had I known then what I know now, I doubt I would have ever done it. It is too easy to just buy a perfect.