Thread: Crit padding from Con bonus?

Default Crit padding from Con bonus?

Constitution is still generally regarded as a stat that helps mitigate critical hits. It's been, at times, suggested that Con bonus / 4 provided equivalent crit padding, but I believe that's been disproven. Now the wiki only suggests Con bonus will help but doesn't specify how it will help. And I haven't run across any data that clearly shows a crit reduction effect from Con bonus.

Is this just a myth at this point? Or can anyone show with data how Con might provide some crit reduction?
    Last edited by Ralk; 07-27-2019 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Corrected to bonus

Blog Entries

I have literally never heard of this before.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    I have literally never heard of this before.
    It's in the official documentation.

https://www.play.net/gs4/info/stats.asp#constitution
    Constitution is a measure of the physical durability of a character. It helps with disease, critical hits, and affects the maximum number of Health Points a player can receive. It also affects a number of other things including encumbrance and some maneuver checks. Constitution does not affect a character's stun and Hit Point recovery rate.
    And as we all know, the site is SUPER accurate.

This and how the supposed dex phantom weighting works, though that was a bit more researched (that i've seen) are really bizarre blindspots in terms of just being said, hey...this is how these stats work. Seems like that should be clearly stated. But Gemstone.
    Last edited by Donquix; 07-27-2019 at 01:46 AM.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

4 points of con *bonus* is 1 pt of natural crit padding

Blog Entries

Bad choice of words on my part. I remember the blurb now that I've seen it again, but it struck me as just a throwaway line or something that applies to only a very specific formula in a very specific instance. The Grand Unified Redux Theory is still elusive, but it seems to have been figured out to a high degree of accuracy without factoring in CO, so if CO does play a role, it's incredibly small.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjex View Post
    4 points of con *bonus* is 1 pt of natural crit padding
    How do you know that? I remember reading somewhere aeons ago that on top of their different DFs and AvDs bolt spells all have different crit ratings do you know anything about that?

According to Estild, the formula that had been posted on the wiki (CON bonus/4) = crit padding pts. is incorrect.

There is a bonus based upon Constitution bonus, but the formula on the wiki is not correct - Gamemaster Estild
    http://forums.play.net/forums/GemSto...t_newest=true#
    Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    The Grand Unified Redux Theory is still elusive, but it seems to have been figured out to a high degree of accuracy without factoring in CO, so if CO does play a role, it's incredibly small.
    Redux reduces a weapon's effective DF and the only factors used to calculate this reduction are: Redux Points, Level (bonus) and Spell Ranks (penalty). Padding including CON bonus, and weighting including DEX bonus are non-factors.

When I tested DEX bonus weighting I found that (DEX bonus/4) generally applied to lighter weapons only (closed fist, most brawling weapons, some edged weapons, bolt spells, arrows). I didn't find any result that indicated a value greater than DEX/4. Heavier weapons had less than the predicted DEX/4 weighting. One possibility is that there is a weighting cap assigned to each weapon. E.g. claidhmore, lance might have a max cap of 2 pts. regardless of the DEX bonus.

I don't have any data on CON bonus padding. Maybe the amount of CON padding is also affected by the weapon. You risk inducing a double hernia researching DEX weighting and CON padding.

Mark

damn, that's disappointingly small