Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pure at 40?

Default Pure at 40?

As a halfling CoL bard...is going pure at 40 achievable for legitimate hunting? Has anyone gone pure that early? Or is the consensus wait until 60?
    For faster sales and service find me on Discord @faustofausto

2. Default

I thought this was a poll to see how many Gemstone players were still virgins at 40. Now I'm disappointed. Also I'm waiting for marriage and YOU SHOULDN'T MOCK MY CHOICE BECAUSE JESUS SEES WHEN YOU TOUCH YOURSELF BECAUSE HE'S A HORNY OLD PERVERT.

Edit: And to say something at least somewhat useful, I think most bards don't go pure until closer to cap. Probably the semi thing, where you just don't have the TPs to push your CS up high enough to consistently melt things faces nor the mana pool to sustain it. No personal experience though. I'm sure someone else will answer it better.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 07-08-2019 at 04:12 PM.

It's doable, especially if you're CoL. I went pure around that level (It was a long time ago, but I remember spamming 1002 against Shan). Stat placement, specifically your aura, is going to determine your quality of life. You're going to be praying for good RNG (ie a couple of 1002 death crits) or be forced to end hunts early. Like a lot of unconventional hunting styles (at least at that level range) you should be selective with what you hunt. Ideally it's going to be crit susceptible and spawn with at least a weapon and hopefully a weapon/shield.

Charged heavy quartz orbs are especially great for early pure bards. Also, if you can get our hands on charged blue or crystal wands, they can provide you with the juice you need to finish fights.

Default Pure at 40?

It is possible. Just try to push your cs as high as you can. Sing your runestaff (unless you have better). Use small statues if you need the extra ds. Try overhunting with 1030, it should take 1-2 shots per kill 3 if you’re unlucky. If you hunt high enough you can fry in one hunt. Especially if you can wrack twice (with 13 max aura from enhancives). I think I went pure at 40 and never looked back. I have a wiz as hunting partner but he was holding me back more than helping.

To be clear for above approach you would need up to 425 and 1030.
    Last edited by nocturnix; 07-09-2019 at 04:02 AM.

Runestaff is kind of overkill. Shield is better DS and slightly less TPs, which are very tight. You don't need flares with 1030. Without any manip enhancives, i think 43 is the earliest you can make it work well. Master a one handed instrument, you can get full power single target 1030 while playing the one hander (full 1x training manip lore + the interlevel training for 45 ranks) and a shield in the left hand. Any society can work, if you're voln or GoS just make sure to use your mana restoration abilities EARLY. The tendency is wait until you "need" the mana. Use it as soon as you can so you can start on the clock on the symbol of mana cooldown / stamina regen for more power. Getting 430/1030 is the common goal but really, if you're going to hold the 400's at 30 ranks for the next ~30-40 levels at least, is 430 worth it? Tiny amount of bonus CS and all those extra TP's for 15 DS. It's nothing to sneeze at but sitting in guartded, in levels you can easily get outside spells, it isn't that necessary really. I did 430/1030 but really stopping at 425 is also completely valid.

In the very earliest levels I had to unravel wands a lot. Even by 50ish that didn't become necessary anymore and I haven't unraveled in forever. If you want to finish all your bounties as you get them, it is not a great build. You just don't have the staying power to effectively finish them. But the hunting is literally EZ mode. Pushing 70 now and i've still got 430 at level, caught bard up to equal level sometime around 65, 2x shield, 1x dodge, and picked up 20 ranks of air along the way to sing a medium shield at small penalty. Left manip lore at 45 for a while but after I got bard equal to level started catching that back up to make the push to 75 ranks for full power 1030 with no instrument.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

thank you all for the input.

i thought the extra damage was only applied when playing a two handed instrument?
    For faster sales and service find me on Discord @faustofausto

Its not hard to fine +50 extra mana from enhancives (you can get there with a combination of max mana and harness power), in addition to all of the other advice in this thread.
    Your mind is completely fucked. It is imperative that you unfuck immediately!

Quote Originally Posted by gilchristr View Post
    Its not hard to fine +50 extra mana from enhancives (you can get there with a combination of max mana and harness power), in addition to all of the other advice in this thread.
    Indeed. Aura enhancives also, but they are a lot more expensive. But every few little CS helps, and if CoL that's just potentially more wracking power.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelbaen View Post
    thank you all for the input.

i thought the extra damage was only applied when playing a two handed instrument?
    Instruments and 1030, all they do is remove the need for lore. Every hand being used for an instrument = equivalent of 30 lore. Full power is at 60 lore (AoE) and 75 lore (single target), once you have those thresholds the instrument does nothing. As far as I know this only applies for the damage calculation, no matter what you would still have to have trained 15 manip lore to unlock the single target version. That's why the lore req for the damage calculation is a little higher, 15 is just to unlock single target, then the 60 on top of that can apply for damage. Coincidentally at 100 this leaves you (essentially) at exactly 25 mental lore ranks leftover to put into telep lore, which is the generally recommended amount of training for that to hit breakpoints for 1007 / 1015 / etc. anyway
    Last edited by Donquix; 07-14-2019 at 10:24 AM.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

do pure bards still stop at augmented chain, or do they typically not even go that high in asg to avoid spell hinderance?

spell hindrance means next to nothing for a bard. there is no mana loss or roundtime, you just slam enter again. so aug chain.
    Last edited by Donquix; 07-18-2019 at 07:37 PM.