Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Student Loans

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    Of course there are ways. You can just go serve 4 years in the Air Force as a goddamn PX Clerk. Barring that, though, just read what you sign and go to a more affordable college. Hell, if you were accepted into a major private college that is super expensive, I bet you could get a scholarship and owe little to nothing in one of those smaller state colleges.
    In all honesty, you just need to ask if there are alternatives at the financial aid desk. There's a slew of grants available. I just want to know what makes someone jump immediately into getting a loan.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astray View Post
    In all honesty, you just need to ask if there are alternatives at the financial aid desk. There's a slew of grants available. I just want to know what makes someone jump immediately into getting a loan.
    Easy to do.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Blog Entries

I honestly think that high schools should be telling kids to focus on finding a full time job after graduation then pursuing a secondary education. It's becoming more and more common for employers to offer college reimbursement programs. Between pell grants and employer reimbursement, college is pretty much free.

Both my daughters worked and got their 4 year degrees at the same time.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Blog Entries

So, a loan, just one form to fill out ever semester. You're covered. They even do a lot of, if not most of the work for you. And honestly, loans are great. If you do it right. Don't defer. Get a 20 hr a week part time job and put $400 a month towards it, go to full time during summer break and put more towards it. If you took a 40k loan, for instance, you'll only be owing about 15k or so towards it when you get your bachelor's and your credit will look pretty sweet.

Grants and scholarships though, unless you have a full ride from the College, you're gonna be going after multiple grants. Writing ten essays and filling out dozens of forms every semester.
    Last edited by Gelston; 07-02-2019 at 05:06 PM.

5. Default

Ugh. What I'm getting from this thread so far is that the Air Force's requirements to give you the good stuff went way down since they tried to recruit me. They wanted me to sign for 10 years and do OTS so I could go to the Air Force Academy for 4.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 07-02-2019 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    Ugh. What I'm getting from this thread so far is that the Air Force's requirements to give you the good stuff went way down since they tried to recruit me. They wanted me to sign for 10 years and do OCS so I could go to the Air Force Academy for 4.
    Recruitment numbers are so fucked I got a call.

Blog Entries

Ugh. What I'm getting from this thread so far is that the Air Force's requirements to give you the good stuff went way down since they tried to recruit me. They wanted me to sign for 10 years and do OTS so I could go to the Air Force Academy for 4.
    Yeah, I doubt that happened. You need referrals from members of Congress to get into the Service Academies. The Service Academies never had to go looking for people, thousands apply every year for a very limited number of seats.
    Last edited by Gelston; 07-02-2019 at 05:11 PM.

8. Default

Yeah, I doubt that happened. You need referrals from members of Congress to get into the Service Academies. The Service Academies never had to go looking for people, thousands apply every year for a very limited number of seats.
    That's the only reason I was talking to them in the first place. I applied and wasn't even a member of the service, because while my everything on paper was quite good when I was 17, I was also 17, and therefore dumb as fuck. I was told that that's what the requirements would be for acceptance.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 07-02-2019 at 05:13 PM.

Blog Entries

That's the only reason I was talking to them in the first place. I applied and wasn't even a member of the service, because while my everything on paper was quite good when I was 17, I was also 17, and therefore dumb as fuck.
    Most people who apply aren't service members. It is a college. Only like 8% are accepted and they require a nomination by a member of Congress. Most students going in are 17 or 18 straight from HS.

The only people that are assured entry are sons and daughters of Medal of Honor recipients.
    Last edited by Gelston; 07-02-2019 at 05:15 PM.

10. Default

Most people who apply aren't service members. It is a college. Only like 8% are accepted and they require a nomination by a member of Congress. Most students going in are 17 or 18 straight from HS.

The only people that are assured entry are sons and daughters of Medal of Honor recipients.
    Sounds about right.