Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumbbells

1. Default Dumbbells

What are your favorite dumbbell exercises?

I've recently killed off a lot of my muscle mass with a low calorie diet combined with a lot of low effort cardio, so I'm building back up so I can pick stuff up like a real boy again. There are some good youtube videos on dumbbell exercises, but I'm going to generously call them "intermediate level" or better for the most part, meaning they're full of gym jargon which I neither understand nor have the inclination to.

So what'cha got? Aside from the normal bicep curls, barbell pushes and just picking them straight up out to the sides, whatever that's called, what do you do with dumbbells?

Weren't you like, 'fuck actual working out' like a few days ago?

Don't get me wrong, great for you but what even.
    Last edited by Astray; 06-26-2019 at 06:55 PM.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Astray View Post
    Weren't you like, 'fuck actual working out' like a few days ago?

Don't get me wrong, great for you but what even.
    Yes, and still fuck actual working out, but I'm still doing it. But only the laziest possible ways. Bicep curls are easy. Crunches I can do in bed. I have a little deskcycle under my desk at work and at home and I do 30-35 "miles" a day on that. But if anyone ever suggested I go to an actual gym or run a marathon or something, fuck that with a rake. Watching something like UFC makes it easy to time and split up so it's like I'm just sitting around watching TV. Go hard on the desk cycle during 5 minute rounds, do a set on the dumbbells in between fights. 2 hours of exercise a night while watching TV and not leaving my chair. Piece of cake.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 06-26-2019 at 07:11 PM.

Blog Entries

Extensions
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    Extensions
    Oh, hey, I just looked that up. That's a good idea. I was already kind of doing that, but I was doing it wrong. And I can do it without actually doing anything, which is a plus. Thanks.

Edit: Jesus. Those are a bitch.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 06-26-2019 at 07:22 PM.

I am also doing the 1k calories/day diet. Down 24 lbs so far. I've found a couple of low calorie things I can eat quite a bit of, even if I don't actually get full. What all did you eat for meals while on this diet? What about snacks? If any? I've been eating salmon for some meals (like 200 calories) and something we call spicy rice (1 cup brown rice, 1 can chunk chicken, 1 can black beans, 1 can rotel, 2 cans diced tomatoes, 1 packet of fajita seasoning). Total calories: 1350 which I split into four @335 calorie bowls, one bowl = one meal. Anyone else feel free to share good low calorie meals too.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathbringer View Post
    I am also doing the 1k calories/day diet. Down 24 lbs so far. I've found a couple of low calorie things I can eat quite a bit of, even if I don't actually get full. What all did you eat for meals while on this diet? What about snacks? If any? I've been eating salmon for some meals (like 200 calories) and something we call spicy rice (1 cup brown rice, 1 can chunk chicken, 1 can black beans, 1 can rotel, 2 cans diced tomatoes, 1 packet of fajita seasoning). Total calories: 1350 which I split into four @335 calorie bowls, one bowl = one meal. Anyone else feel free to share good low calorie meals too.
    I'm extremely ascetic when it comes to food already. I drank that zero calorie sparkling flavored water, 1100 calories of white rice with soy sauce (Kikkoman, not Kimlan. It's bad for you, use sparingly, but tastes best), and a multivitamin. Once every now and again (about once a month) I took a diuretic because soy sauce is basically all sodium. It helps if you don't eat breakfast or lunch, and I never have. That way when you do eat, you get two large nightly meals of rice and you're totally full for the entirety of the time your body expects you to be hungry. Just make sure you get the good rice, not some shit carolina long grain garbage from the bottom shelf of the grocery store. Go to the aisle with the asian food. They have the good rice. Nishiki is fairly high quality and fairly inexpensive and tastes very good. If you have an H-Mart (or other asian market) near you, get the rice with three ducks. That's all I know about it because I don't speak or read Korean. Three duck rice is the best rice.

It's definitely not the healthiest thing ever. You need protein eventually, so once every couple weeks I'd have sushi instead of straight rice. Oh, and you can find these stuffed portabella mushrooms at most grocery stores in the vegetable aisle. 6 stuffed mushrooms is about 250 calories, and make a good snack. Same with cauliflower steamed with buffalo sauce. You can eat an entire head of cauliflower and it's like 200 calories. That I did sometimes just because my rice cooker can steam vegetables at the same time.

Now that I'm back onto weight training there's a lot more protein in my diet, and calories for that matter, but I still eat rice just about every night. Cheap, goes with most vegetables, tastes good.

Edit: Oh, and I almost forgot. Alaskan Pollock (Imitation Crab meat). 3 bucks for a bag. Good protein. Filling. Tastes good. You can eat the entire bag if you want and it's only 300-400 calories. I did like half a bag at a time. The whole bag is big. Also, 24 pounds down is freakin' awesome by the way. Keep it up.

One last thing - If you find yourself craving real meat, those little pre-sliced ham things they sell at the grocery store. They generally slice them very nicely into 50 calorie slices in most brands. Once you open them they're good in the fridge for about a week. I ate a slice or two every now and again whenever I wanted meat.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 06-26-2019 at 08:15 PM.

8. Default

skull crushers, wide row, one armed row, curls, I don't know the name, but you lean over a bench, arm in an L, and extend it out to a straight arm straight to your back.

Dumbbells are extremely versatile.
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

“If you don’t believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you don’t believe in free speech.”
    -My favorite liberal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage View Post
    skull crushers, wide row, one armed row, curls, I don't know the name, but you lean over a bench, arm in an L, and extend it out to a straight arm straight to your back.

Dumbbells are extremely versatile.
    Kickbacks
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

10. Default

Couple of those looks like I can try. The bench ones look too much like exercise. I'd have to get up out of my chair...find a bench, et cetera. That reeks of effort. That L one with the arm straight back looks like it'd be awesome for triceps though. That's the one they show on all the infomercials I've ever seen.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 06-26-2019 at 08:24 PM.