Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone collect historic maps?

Blog Entries

Notice it has Petra on there as well (Petrapoitf), and for some reason it is on fire. Maybe to indicate it is ruins.
    Last edited by Gelston; 06-21-2019 at 04:35 PM.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

2. Default

My statement stands. I could make a better map.
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

“If you don’t believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you don’t believe in free speech.”
    -My favorite liberal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage View Post
    My statement stands. I could make a better map.
    Yours wouldn't be worth 24 grand! Invent time travel, however....

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    Notice it has Petra on there as well (Petrapoitf), and for some reason it is on fire. Maybe to indicate it is ruins.
    Yeah, the fire is interesting. I think the word is "Petrapolis," which is "City of Petra." That "f' is an old form for an s.
    My current items for sale or trade: Treasures in the Brambles.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BriarFox View Post
    Yeah, the fire is interesting. I think the word is "Petrapolis," which is "City of Petra." That "f' is an old form for an s.
    Yeah it is Petra. The city was a ruin long before this map was made, even though the map itself is over 500 years old.... But they still visited it back then the same way we visit it today. If only they knew it would later be featured in an Indiana Jones movie!

6. Default

Like, you give that "map" to people who you want to get lost trying to use it.

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

“If you don’t believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you don’t believe in free speech.”
    -My favorite liberal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage View Post
    Like, you give that "map" to people who you want to get lost trying to use it.
    It looks like that map was an insert in a book. Probably basically like a globe. You get an idea of where shit is, but you don't generally go out on the road trying to get places using a globe.

I have a globe that pre-dates Oklahoma. It has no date on it, so we had to figure it out via political boundaries. Eastern Europe was a big help. My recollection is that we ended up around 1887, but it's been a few years. The globe was also made out of plaster, so it's pretty heavy.
    I don't use Lich. If you want to do business with me, contact me via PM, IG, or on AIM. Or maybe use smoke signals. Don't like it, get off of my lawn.

Blog Entries

I like looking at the maps of Louisiana, especially around where I live. So many towns that used to exist that were either absorbed by my city or just ceased to exist. Also neat seeing about 200 years ago where my city us located, was once a lake. Now just a river.

And what we now call Caddo Lake was Lake Pisaquie. Also saw an Old Cado Village and a Cado Village. Never heard of either before and I'm wondering if that is where the Caddo Indians lived.

10. Default

I’ll see what Louisiana looks like in my maps and share it here

-Superracist, Joe Biden

-My favorite liberal