Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: picking locks and plate armo(u)r

Default picking locks and plate armo(u)r

Hi,

I am not good at mechanics in GS. I've gotten pretty far with my Ranger (who I rolled to play while looking for a capped rogue to pick up) and may as well complete the road to cap.

It's the most fun I've had in GS, honestly. The ranger game is seriously great. I change hunting style quite often, wether it's between different types of weapons or going into just casting.

I just wanted to know, is it at all feasable to hunt just like a rogue in full plate? Can I even train off the penalty for RT?
    I already hunt like a rogue most of the time just hide and ambush. When I used to hunt Nelemar as a rogue, the plate saved my life a lot. It would be sweet to use it again.
    Obviously I wouldn't really cast.
    Then just go back to brig or hauberk when casting again.

Also, I wonder if a ranger can train enough in locks and traps to pick properly as a profession. I've seen empaths that can do it so maybe it's possible?
    I'm not terribly familiar with it all tbf and feel like I'm learning all over again.
    I just loved playing a capped rogue and miss it sometimes. I just realised I already have one! Kind of

Thanks for any answers, its a big help.

''Picking locks and plate armor''

That wasn't supposed to sound like I meant picking plate armor like a lock. .

Blog Entries

You just need to learn to use your spells as a ranger. You can 2x armor just like a rogue so yes, you can wear plate like a rogue. Problem is, they can 3x hiding and get armor and CM skills that help their hiding, while you don't... Your equivalent stuff is in your spell circles, which... Yeah, you won't be casting. I haven't played ranger in a long time, but I see more benefit at stopping at Brig than continuing on. The class was designed to use the spells you get.

You won't really be picking your own boxes as a ranger, you can 2x pick and disarm, but I don't foresee you being able to maintain that, unless you weaken yourself somewhere else.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Coyoterre was famous for wearing full plate as a ranger. You get the defensive benefits of ranger DS and TD plus plate armor's DF, CD and CvA, so you can do pretty well. Training off the RT and maneuver penalties are fairly easy, requiring 140 ranks max for full plate. It's the spells that are the issue. If you 2x armor and use enhancives, though, you can actually train MnS hindrance down to the minimum for MBP (210 ranks) or half plate (250 --https://gswiki.play.net/Armor_Use), but you'll never be able to train off the ranger hindrance. So, with the right build and a compromise with MnS, you could use 110, 117, 118, 125, and 140 in combat pretty well. After that, there's just lots of imbeds and fancy items you could use to make things even more fun.

That said, I find hauberk to be a really nice middle ground.
    My current items for sale or trade: Treasures in the Brambles.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BriarFox View Post
    Coyoterre was famous for wearing full plate as a ranger. You get the defensive benefits of ranger DS and TD plus plate armor's DF, CD and CvA, so you can do pretty well. Training off the RT and maneuver penalties are fairly easy, requiring 140 ranks max for full plate. It's the spells that are the issue. If you 2x armor and use enhancives, though, you can actually train MnS hindrance down to the minimum for MBP (210 ranks) or half plate (250 --https://gswiki.play.net/Armor_Use), but you'll never be able to train off the ranger hindrance. So, with the right build and a compromise with MnS, you could use 110, 117, 118, 125, and 140 in combat pretty well. After that, there's just lots of imbeds and fancy items you could use to make things even more fun.

That said, I find hauberk to be a really nice middle ground.
    Oh yeah, you can add resists to metal now with those magic mushrooms.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    Oh yeah, you can add resists to metal now with those magic mushrooms.
    Yep. I keep my magic mushrooms nice and cool in a damp chest in my Icemule locker.

As far as picking, the simple fact is that a 2X rogus with knowledge of 4 minor elemental spells will stop being able to pick all of his own boxes somewhere around 75 trains. I know, it happened to mine. He could still get about 90% of them but there would be a few just out of his range. It only took a little to get rid of this though, he is now a little under 2.2X in picking and at 77 he picks bowels without issue. So what you are going to run into is, no access to the spells and nothing over 2X disarm and picking skills. If you perception is over probably 1.5 you will see every trap even if you cannot disarm it. So how to overcome this, well you will need enhancives, as many as you can get and even that will likely leave you wanting since the mechanics of imbeds and scrolls, which you will also need, are such that you will get reduced benefit of the spell versus a self cast based upon you MIU or if you use a scroll you AS use.

So if you do it and do not worry about the spells and enhancives, well, you will have a fair number you cannot get since the spells help an awful lot.

Quote Originally Posted by kutter View Post
    As far as picking, the simple fact is that a 2X rogus with knowledge of 4 minor elemental spells will stop being able to pick all of his own boxes somewhere around 75 trains. I know, it happened to mine. He could still get about 90% of them but there would be a few just out of his range. It only took a little to get rid of this though, he is now a little under 2.2X in picking and at 77 he picks bowels without issue. So what you are going to run into is, no access to the spells and nothing over 2X disarm and picking skills. If you perception is over probably 1.5 you will see every trap even if you cannot disarm it. So how to overcome this, well you will need enhancives, as many as you can get and even that will likely leave you wanting since the mechanics of imbeds and scrolls, which you will also need, are such that you will get reduced benefit of the spell versus a self cast based upon you MIU or if you use a scroll you AS use.

So if you do it and do not worry about the spells and enhancives, well, you will have a fair number you cannot get since the spells help an awful lot.
    With 125, he might be able to blow up a good majority of the boxes he can't pick. No experience that way, though.
    Last edited by BriarFox; 06-20-2019 at 03:15 PM.

Blog Entries

I can confirm that at cap (fresh), with 2x smithing skills + 4 ranks in MnE, you will not be able to pick about 20 - 25% of your like level boxes.

If you're more about hunting your rogue go the plate and spells as priority over your smithing skills. I really preferred focusing on MnS to 120, 2x CMN, 2x pf, 2x dodge....... etc. Then focus on the smithing shit. You could probably start off at like 1x smithing at fresh cap and be able to pick the majority of boxes that customers bring into the east tower.
    Last edited by Neveragain; 06-20-2019 at 03:35 PM.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by BriarFox View Post
    With 125, he might be able to blow up a good majority of the boxes he can't pick. No experience that way, though.
    Don't you lose items with call lightning and just get the slab of silver and gems?