Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 93

Thread: Unionization movement amongst gaming employees

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    28,557
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    The tech sector. As laid out in examples here. Or did you mean where it works like normal?
    What examples? I just saw a dude that has been in the sector for 2 years at one job whining about the company laying him off and then folding.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

  2. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mgoddess View Post
    Ahhhh, Digipen. They aren't quite "across" the street anymore...
    I live here now and to be completely accurate the new Digipen complex is across the PARKING LOT from some of Microsoft's newest offices on Willows Rd. Facebook has moved into this complex, too. I was over there last week as a day tester for the new Facebook VR technology that's coming out shortly. Redmond is growing like a motherfucker.
    Last edited by leifastagsweed; 06-18-2019 at 04:33 PM. Reason: details

  3. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    Industry: *does something bad*
    Workers: "Maybe we should do something"
    Status Quo Motherfuckers: "HEY THAT'S THE NATURE OF THE INDUSTRY MAN NOTHING YOU CAN DO"
    I see nothing wrong if these people want to try and unionize. I just hate how the media is acting like these are the most down trodden people on the entire planet. It's crazy the amount of "Oh woe is the game coder!" stuff I read in articles about this.

    They want to unionize? Good for them. Let's not act like they are some sort of victims or something though. They aren't exactly down in a coal mine somewhere with no safety equipment making 50 cents an hour.

    Case in point? Look at this shit from the article in the original post:

    One developer for Mortal Kombat 11 recently told gaming site Kotaku that he was diagnosed with PTSD after working on the extravagantly violent and gory fighting game.
    Really? PTSD because he was working on a violent and gory game?

    Like the software industry more broadly, the gaming world is known for “crunch,” the period just before a launch when workers are expected to put in 100-hour weeks with no extra pay. In decades past, especially for console games, that crunch period was typically limited to the weeks before a game’s release date. But conditions are worsening in part because the underlying technology powering video games is changing, altering players’ expectations — and the industry more broadly — in the process.
    Oh no! They have to work long hours in an air conditioned office for maybe a few weeks before the launch of a game?

    There is really nothing in this article that is world shattering or unhealthy or unfair, but for some reason Time magazine of all places felt the need to talk about the poor misunderstood game worker. I'm sure this has nothing at all to do with the residual effects of GamerGate, oh wait they mentioned accusations of "sexism" in the article too so maybe it does.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 06-18-2019 at 04:34 PM.

  4. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    Industry: *does something bad*
    Workers: "Maybe we should do something"
    Status Quo Motherfuckers: "HEY THAT'S THE NATURE OF THE INDUSTRY MAN NOTHING YOU CAN DO"
    You make it sound like industries aren't competitive.. like they don't want to steal other employees from other companies by offering them more money, better benefits and a better work environment.

    I've never worked in an industry that "it's the nature of the industry" to treat their employees poorly. What industries are these?
    RETARD HALL OF FAME

    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    There will be no war when guns are more regulated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    horrific state of conditions = the biggest election win in 40 decades
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsa`ah View Post
    Well tell that to the Naval hospital that issued a birth certificate labeled Ft Lejeune ... and then typed it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

  5. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Archigeek View Post
    Thought this was an interesting article about gaming employee stress and working conditions. A bit over-hyped, but some interesting info in there. Good luck to all the contract employees!

    https://time.com/5603329/e3-video-game-creators-union/
    Interesting article and I appreciate you sharing it. I would say that Seattle is a little ahead of the curve in this area having already been using and abusing contractors for decades. That said, there is a NEW controversial model that's evolving here in the tech sector and folks are taking notice....

    https://www.inc.com/magazine/201511/...re-growth.html

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    What examples? I just saw a dude that has been in the sector for 2 years at one job whining about the company laying him off and then folding.
    The ones I've been going through in this thread. Those weren't made up. Microsoft, Gearbox, Thoughtworks, 2K Games. The Sierra example I only know from Sierra employee recollections on youtube, but the rest were all from direct professional (and in one case personal) relationships. They're not mine specifically, though I could go through a few of mine if you like too. They're less relevant because I've only really been on the outskirts as a contractor.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    28,557
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    The ones I've been going through in this thread. Those weren't made up. Microsoft, Gearbox, Thoughtworks, 2K Games. The Sierra example I only know from Sierra employee recollections on youtube, but the rest were all from direct professional (and in one case personal) relationships. They're not mine specifically, though I could go through a few of mine if you like too. They're less relevant because I've only really been on the outskirts as a contractor.
    Sorry man, I was looking for articles or blogs from dudes that are in the industry. I'm not going to take your word for it, because well, you're you.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    Sorry man, I was looking for articles or blogs from dudes that are in the industry. I'm not going to take your word for it, because well, you're you.
    Which part of what I've said do you find to be inaccurate? For that matter, what of anything I've said do you find to be inaccurate specifically? I generally cite a great deal of sources.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    28,557
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    Which part of what I've said do you find to be inaccurate? For that matter, what of anything I've said do you find to be inaccurate specifically? I generally cite a great deal of sources.
    PRetty much the part where you said the gaming industry doesn't care about your resume and pays you entry level regardless.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

  10. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leifastagsweed View Post
    I live here now and to be completely accurate the new Digipen complex is across the PARKING LOT from some of Microsoft's newest offices on Willows Rd. Facebook has moved into this complex, too. I was over there last week as a day tester for the new Facebook VR technology that's coming out shortly. Redmond is growing like a motherfucker.
    Oh fucking balls, I didn't realize MS had bought up officespace over there... though, I just really am not surprised to hear it. Also not surprised that FB is getting Redmond-ized.

    Edit: So glad Redmond has the six-stories-tall statute, though aren't there some companies trying to lobby to grow past that these days? (Says the lady who's now living across the border in BC...)
    Last edited by mgoddess; 06-18-2019 at 04:46 PM.
    ~ Just another Crazy Cat Lady, living the life. ~
    ~ Player of Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai, and plenty of others. ~
    ~ Have something to say to me? Tell me anonymously! ~

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •