Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Official: Maintenance Work on ALL Servers 6/18/19 10:30 AM - 3 PM ET

Quote Originally Posted by Koars Light View Post
    Are you really sure you had fun though? Using the thousands of dollars you could’ve literally traveled the world.
    You're being stupid. Stop being stupid.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I never liked SWG. I prefer SWTOR and the story telling. Well, the original. I hate what they've done with it now. I still go back and play the new stuff though.
    Nothing wrong with SWTOR, but SWG was the closest you'll ever get to a graphical MUD. They had player housing, everything was a giant sandbox, the story and economy were driven entirely by the players, and that was awesome. Having talked with a few of the original devs, they can see where it all went wrong. The company panicked when the big theme parks released and tried to change directions about 85% of the way through development. So they've got the sandbox almost done and were forced to try to shoehorn linear progression into it instead of being a skill based open world sandbox. Then they just kept going down that route when WoW started dominating, just trying to fit a square peg into a round hole until the servers went down.

The engine also couldn't handle the eventual number of player buildings in range, which newer games now know and limit things like draw distance and number of pieces visible at any given time, et cetera. You still even with great internet connections all around get rubberbanding as a result in SWG.

The one I coded for was and is a Pre-NGE deal, that true sandbox experience. When I left we were right on the cusp of having the Jump to lightspeed space stuff implemented. It's probably there now. I'm gonna have to check it out again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    Nothing wrong with SWTOR, but SWG was the closest you'll ever get to a graphical MUD. They had player housing, everything was a giant sandbox, the story and economy were driven entirely by the players, and that was awesome. Having talked with a few of the original devs, they can see where it all went wrong. The company panicked when the big theme parks released and tried to change directions about 85% of the way through development. So they've got the sandbox almost done and were forced to try to shoehorn linear progression into it instead of being a skill based open world sandbox. Then they just kept going down that route when WoW started dominating, just trying to fit a square peg into a round hole until the servers went down.

The engine also couldn't handle the eventual number of player buildings in range, which newer games now know and limit things like draw distance and number of pieces visible at any given time, et cetera. You still even with great internet connections all around get rubberbanding as a result in SWG.

The one I coded for was and is a Pre-NGE deal, that true sandbox experience. When I left we were right on the cusp of having the Jump to lightspeed space stuff implemented. It's probably there now. I'm gonna have to check it out again.
    Eh, that is just how they made all the MMOs back then. Basically followed UO's model.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Blog Entries

I've played the last couple weeks of a few games. Wildstar the most recent. While I never sunk nearly as much into them as I have GS, I was still upset to see them go. Well, more upset that I'd never beable to play them ever again. I think that is really the thing. Regardless of my feelings for how GS is ran right now, the stupid cash grabbing garbage they've began to embrace more tightly, all of that... I might not ever play again, I don't know, but knowing that I can is one thing.
    My characters 'escaped' GS in that I play versions of them across other MMOs and video games. Maybe that's why it's so easy for me to not really care what happens to GS.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

5. Default

Eh, that is just how they made all the MMOs back then. Basically followed UO's model.
    That's true. UO was and is very much a graphical MUD too. I think the first Everquest was similar also. Similar enough that people kept saying they might get sued by Diku, which of course was crazy, but you know.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 06-18-2019 at 01:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    That's true. UO was and is very much a graphical MUD too. I think the first Everquest was similar also. Similar enough that people kept saying they might get sued by Diku, which of course was crazy, but you know.
    Instancing became big after those MMOs, and I prefer instancing. You don't have to dash for property space.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

I WAS ON AIM WHEN IT DIED FOREVER!!!!!1
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Back up early. The end times are averted. Thank you to the Winchester brothers and Aziraphael and Crowley.
    My current items for sale or trade: Treasures in the Brambles.

Quote Originally Posted by BriarFox View Post
    Back up early. The end times are averted. Thank you to the Winchester brothers and Aziraphael and Crowley.
    Somewhere in the back of my mind I'm slightly disappointed.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Quote Originally Posted by BriarFox View Post
    Boo, that was too anticlimactic.