Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 197

Thread: US Navy responds to supposed torpedo attack in Gulf of Oman

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    28,969
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default US Navy responds to supposed torpedo attack in Gulf of Oman

    The Norfolk-based guided missile destroyer USS Bainbridge is responding to a “reported attack” on two tankers in the Gulf of Oman, said 5th Fleet spokesman Cmdr. Joshua Frey.

    Frey said in an email that Navy forces in the region received two separate distress calls, one around 6:12 a.m. local time and another at 7 a.m.

    Additional information about the attack was not immediately available but the report comes amid rising tensions between the U.S. and Iran. In April, the Trump administration labeled the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps a terrorist group. Iran responded by labeling all U.S. forces as terrorists. More recently, in May, the U.S. blamed Iran for being behind the attack of four tankers off the Emirati port of Fujairah.
    Looks like Iran is cruisin' for a bruisin'.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Danger Zone
    Posts
    11,796
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Bolton just got a stiffy
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    28,969
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    I don't think we should invade them, but I do feel destruction of their entire naval capability would be in order. If this does turn out to be attacks from Iran that is.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Danger Zone
    Posts
    11,796
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I don't think we should invade them, but I do feel destruction of their entire naval capability would be in order. If this does turn out to be attacks from Iran that is.
    I doubt it would ever be as clean as that.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    28,969
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    I doubt it would ever be as clean as that.
    Eh, I'm saying we don't need to put guys on the ground. We can just bomb their Naval capabilities to oblivion. I'm not saying hunt down every little shitzipper patrol boat, but their major ports, facilities, and larger ships? Yeah, we can raze that to the dust. No Navy, no torpedo attacks.
    Last edited by Gelston; 06-13-2019 at 09:34 AM.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

  6. Default

    When I see vague reports like this I'd be more inclined to think Gulf of Tonkin than I would Pearl Harbor. "Caution" is the correct assessment.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Danger Zone
    Posts
    11,796
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    Eh, I'm saying we don't need to put guys on the ground. We can just bomb their Naval capabilities to oblivion. I'm not saying hunt down every little shitzipper patrol boat, but their major ports, facilities, and larger ships? Yeah, we can raze that to the dust. No Navy, no torpedo attacks.
    Probably not even their navy that's doing it.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    28,969
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    Probably not even their navy that's doing it.
    They just put out a denial, sorta.

    The Iranian foreign minister has described the reported attack on two tankers in the Gulf of Oman near the Strait of Hormuz as suspicious, since it occurred during a meeting between Japan’s prime minister and Iran’s supreme leader.

    Mohammad Javad Zarif made the comment in a tweet on Thursday: "Suspicious doesn't begin to describe what likely transpired this morning."

    He didn't elaborate.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

  9. Default

    I think turning where ever they all stand around and chant "Death to America" into a giant glass bowl would go far for diplomacy, but that doesn't really work in real life. I do wish we would do it once in awhile though.
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    28,969
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage View Post
    I think turning where ever they all stand around and chant "Death to America" into a giant glass bowl would go far for diplomacy, but that doesn't really work in real life. I do wish we would do it once in awhile though.
    We have to be a lot more delicate with Iran. Russia and China have a vested interest in Iran, and we definitely wouldn't want to widen the conflict. You also have to consider that we'd probably create a new terrorist breeding ground there.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •