Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Element Attunement

Default Element Attunement

Which element is best for a wizard? Seems like air or earth is the best for general e-blading your staff without running into problematic areas (bowels, nelemar, etc.).

Does water attunement help with enchanting?

Attunement is 95% fluff and convenience. It helps determine default elements for spells but does nothing to the power of any spell. The 1 exception is 502. Attune still doesn't modify the 502 spell power, but it does allow you to force the spell to your preferred element. 502 reduces the DS of your target to bolts of the same element. This makes water attune the strongest since only 505, 906, 908 and 510 won't see a benefit, but all other bolts do because they all at least hybrid with water lore. 901, 903, 904, 907, 910, 1707, 1709 are all given the DS benefit from opening with 502 water.

That, in my opinion, is the only mechanical attunement consideration needed. Unless you plan to rapid fire 502 and want to use a more potent element.

Other than 502, it's entirely how you see the benefit of the convenience. Attune will default the element for 411, 415, 435, 502, 520 and 915. For all except 520, you will only be able to cast the other elements with ATTUNE RANDOM. These spells are all pretty limited in use aside from 502 except for maybe eblade which can be used frequently for disarm areas or by warmages. Either way, you can just ATTUNE RANDOM to get the element you want, or set your personal attunement to something that will work forever.

Also, 425 has a slight benefit for attunement, but the mechanical advantage is pretty limited (minor crit weighting on bolts of your attunement provided you get a proc from having trained enough fire lore - water wins in this case as well).

All in all, you gain very little other than a lot of "flavor" from attune. Water seems to have the highest mechanical benefits, but those benefits are barely noticeable unless you heavily rely on e-blade (which is the most inconvenient of the spells to manage randomly).
    Last edited by Maerit; 06-11-2019 at 10:27 AM.

What Methias said. Unless it is for RP I cannot see any major benefit of attuning.

"You're well beyond training for a reason."...Gelston

Quote Originally Posted by Askip View Post
    What Methias said. Unless it is for RP I cannot see any major benefit of attuning.

Estild keeps being a dick about changing it from attunement to letting you choose your element based on elemental lore like how 518 works.

Probably because it makes sense and he wouldn't want to do anything that would be considered a wizard buff or he won't be able to get a boner for like 4 months.
    Last edited by Methais; 06-11-2019 at 11:13 AM.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    Estild keeps being a dick about changing it from attunement to letting you choose your element based on elemental lore like how 518 works.

Probably because it makes sense and he wouldn't want to do anything that would be considered a wizard buff or he won't be able to get a boner for like 4 months.
    Because attunement resets are also a simucoin item.

Quote Originally Posted by wetsand View Post
    Because attunement resets are also a simucoin item.
    You can reattune without Simucoins too. I've done it twice so far.
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    You can reattune without Simucoins too. I've done it twice so far.
    Yes true, my comment was more tongue in the cheek poke at the pettiness of having attunement tied to simucoins.

Quote Originally Posted by wetsand View Post
    Yes true, my comment was more tongue in the cheek poke at the pettiness of having attunement tied to simucoins.
    I still wouldn't put it past them as being part of the deciding process for something as small as 502 bullshit.

I love the lightning stun effect from 520. It's proven to be a huge help against bandits.

Quote Originally Posted by Merzbow View Post
    I love the lightning stun effect from 520. It's proven to be a huge help against bandits.
    That's great, but let's not confuse that benefit with anything to do with attune. As it stands, you can cast any and all of the 520 elements regardless of your attunement or even your lore. It just costs more mana to cast 520 without having the right amount of lore for the element you prefer. The only benefit 520 gets from attunement is the default when you cast without specifying the element.