Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To bolt or not

Default To bolt or not

I reactivated my level 46 halfling bane cleric. I'm now debating keeping spell aim. He is in CoL. I like having the option to bolt but his mana pool really can't support a full hunt of 306 vs 302. I know there was some changes recently that benefit training in spell aiming but I'm not hip to all the changes. Am I going to hate myself if I drop SA for more spell ranks? Here's what I had in mind for changes:

Code:
    (at level 46), your base skill bonuses, ranks and goals are:
      Skill Name                         | Actual  Actual
                                         |  Bonus   Ranks      Goals  In-Game Time to Goal
      Armor Use..........................|     40       8          8
      Physical Fitness...................|    147      47         47
      Magic Item Use.....................|    147      47         47
      Spell Aiming.......................|    193      93.909      0  79 days, 3 hours, 32 minutes
      Harness Power......................|    146      46         46
      Spirit Mana Control................|    147      47         47
      Spiritual Lore - Religion..........|    120      30         30
      Perception.........................|    147      47         47
      Climbing...........................|    130      35         35
      Swimming...........................|     90      20         20
      First Aid..........................|    147      47         47

Spell Lists
      Major Spiritual....................|             25         30  ASAP (will rise when points are available)

Spell Lists
      Minor Spiritual....................|             24         30  ASAP (will rise when points are available)

Spell Lists
      Cleric.............................|             66         70  ASAP (will rise when points are available)
    Training Points: 44 Phy 0 Mnt (1442 Phy converted to Mnt)

Blog Entries

tl;dr version is clerics are being encouraged to use a variety of spells instead of just standard bane/smite, some of which use spell aim, via 320's mana reduction benefit. It's not absolutely necessary, but you should try it out to see if it works for you.
    Last edited by Taernath; 06-07-2019 at 09:57 PM.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    .....via 320's mana reduction benefit....
    I forgot about this. I switched to 320(SMRv2 attack) followed up with 317, 309, 306 evoke or cast, 302. Working well so far, occasionally have to wrack.

Start with low mana spells early in your rotation. Each different spell cast increases the percentage mana saved. So casting 302 then 309 then 302 then 317 would be more efficient. Also, 309 and 320 both use spell aim in addition to 306. I respec’d to max CS and spell aim and I bolt and ward bow. Hunting is much more dynamic and fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pure CS is likely still better, or at least more optimized if you're just trying to get from 0 to 100 as easy as possible. But bolting is so close now the extra variety and flexability is hard to pass up. I'm around the same level as OP and switched from pure CS to bolting, including overtraining lores enough to pick up 30 religion + 20 summoning for web bolt, and it's nice.

If you have stats placed for growth and are smaller races you likely have a high dex bonus and stat placement so, hey lean into that fat +30 AS you get from that.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

Thank you for the reassurance to stick with SA.

Code:
    You gesture at a dybbuk.
    Mana swirls into the visible spectrum and manifests as an ethereal, flat black censer swinging pendulously through the air beside you.  A dark grey haze of incense smoke trails in its wake, quickly spreading in sinuous tendrils through the area.

[SMR result: 113 (Open d100: 36)]
    A dybbuk becomes enveloped in the incense smoke!
       ... 20 points of damage!
       Flesh removed, forming a long gash across abdomen!

As the fragrant haze settles over you, you feel revitalized.
    Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
    (Forcing stance down to guarded)
    >
    [ Ethereal Censer: +0:00:30, 0:00:29 remaining. ]
    >
    You chant a reverent litany, clasping your hands while focusing upon the Divine Fury spell...
    Your spell is ready.
    >
    You channel at a dybbuk.
    Particles of dust and soot rise from the floor at your feet as you release a pulsating, platinum ripple of energy toward a dybbuk!
      CS: +230 - TD: +176 + CvA: +25 + d100: +66 == +145
      Warding failed!
      The dybbuk is cloaked in a blinding platinum light and assailed for 62 points of damage!
       ... 35 points of damage!
       Superheated energy causes the artery in the dybbuk's leg to explode!
       It is knocked to the ground!
       The dybbuk is stunned!
       ... 15 points of damage!
       Acid splatters on the dybbuk's cheek leaving a bright red burn!

** Necrotic energy from your faewood runestaff overflows into you! **

You feel energized!
    Roundtime: 3 sec.
    >
    You chant a reverent litany, clasping your hands while focusing upon the Condemn spell...
    Your spell is ready.
    >
    You gesture at a dybbuk.
    [SMR result: 210 (Open d100: 68, Bonus: 72)]
    A shifting rent in reality forms near a dybbuk, and from it blows a caustic, alien wind.
    Barbed, glistening tentacles dart from the tear in space and rip into the dybbuk for 35 points of damage!
       ... 25 points of damage!
       Burn to cheek.  Not a pretty sight.
    >
    Barbed, glistening tentacles dart from the tear in space and rip into the dybbuk for 35 points of damage!
       ... 25 points of damage!
       Spray of caustic liquid burns the skin along the back!
    >
    You chant a reverent litany, clasping your hands while focusing upon the Holy Bolt spell...
    Your spell is ready.
    >
    You gesture at a dybbuk.
    Your faewood runestaff glows intensely with a verdant light!
    You hurl a stream of holy water at a dybbuk!
      AS: +335 vs DS: +110 with AvD: +29 + d100 roll: +60 = +314
       ... and hit for 163 points of damage!
       Acid bath empties chest.  It's a lot cleaner now.
    The dybbuk wails in terrifying pain one last time and lies still.
    You sense Marlu's condemnation of a dybbuk wane.
    You feel the unnatural surge of necrotic power wane away.

Quote Originally Posted by wetsand View Post
    To bolt or not
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Shoosh View Post
    ... and ward bow
    What is ward bow? Also, as a whole, when does this type of hunting become viable? My cleric is 20, but I haven't played him for a couple years, but he's a pure warder. Should have a fix I can use on him, but I really like the idea of what you have going on up above.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuno View Post
    What is ward bow? Also, as a whole, when does this type of hunting become viable? My cleric is 20, but I haven't played him for a couple years, but he's a pure warder. Should have a fix I can use on him, but I really like the idea of what you have going on up above.
    Not sure what ward bow is, maybe a ranged cleric? Level 20 might be a tad early to be able to support 320 constantly but I could be wrong. Do you currently train in spell aim?

Quote Originally Posted by wetsand View Post
    Not sure what ward bow is, maybe a ranged cleric? Level 20 might be a tad early to be able to support 320 constantly but I could be wrong. Do you currently train in spell aim?
    320 costs the 20 mana up front but its returned to you by the end of the spell (30 seconds), so its effectively free to use