Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Enchant update, update

Reset!

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemSto...zard/view/1168
    I want to note that we're still iterating over a lot of the design and listening to feedback. The original implementation of essence gain was too far off, but with the recent change, we swung the pendulum too far the other way and now it's too fast for some characters. Ideally, it should take about 10-15 hours to reach your weekly maximum of essence. Some skills are weighing too heavily in the formulas, causing there to be a large range in what lower level vs. post-cap wizards gain. So there will be additional changes there. Naos will also have an adjustment to enchant strength and penalties, which may also cause some wizards to re-evaluate their skill training. As such, once everything is finalized and implemented, we will offer wizards a FIXSKILL. Lastly, we're continuing to review feedback on the script difficulty, so please continue to provide it with specific examples of where you feel the magnitude is too severe. Thanks.

GameMaster Estild

Implement a huge change and then figure out if it even works after the fact.

If only they had some way to test all of this before hand.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Yeah someone really screwed the pooch on this one.

I have low expectations but holy shit, they are so far off the mark. The first pass i mean we're literal days of playtime every week for people under cap, which if you're one of those shitbags that's like "but ya aren't capped", shut up.

Now this new take honestly i knew it was too fast. I didn't try at all and it took barely past my lumnis. And that isn't even beginning to scratch the surface on the shitshow of item difficulties which are all over the map, or straight buggy (fusion, as per a comment in discord, is confirmed too difficult because of a bug)

And yet again: they had a generally well regarded system (energy) which was gated on a resource, experience, that the game is already entirely designed around controlling your acquisition of and threw it out the window because REASONS. Scale the energy costs down to work off 10k per week, change energy from infuse to just your cast energy and done. The learning curve gets dramatically flatter for most people. With the added benefit of things being based around a power of 10 instead of Naos sperging out and counting in binary.
    Last edited by Donquix; 05-22-2019 at 12:13 AM.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

Changing it to casts only is the stupidest thing ever.

Fixskilled for 2x EMC and 132 ranks of lores on my warmage instead of spell aim. This makes it easier to enchant harder items, and faster essence gains. I only suffer against undead (until I can permabless my gear!) anyway.

Both my pure and warmage were able to cap in less than 3 days hunting bounties, which is definitely not ideal for capping essence, so that's a good sign. "Normal" hunting now allows me to finish my weekly goals. Hope they continue to tweak the difficulties. I noticed some very messed up script difficulty readings...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    "why would you want to test it" - Naos, probably.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

It's FASCINATING how this 925 issues:

1) Determining the problematic
    2) Checking the options to solve the said problematic
    3) TESTING the options
    4) Documenting the impacts of said options
    5) Review of your peers for each solutions
    6) go live

were not done the agile way, or worst, the regular professional way.

More, the way they handle communication about it, the first solution, the bones thrown at people, the second iteration, again the bones and now they're saying a THIRD iteration is coming…

It's fascinating how it is handled here.
    Last edited by Murrandii; 05-22-2019 at 07:41 AM.
    Ardwen the submitive: [LNet]-GSIV:Ardwen: "not like I was given a choice to opt out of bro mode, bro"

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Donquix View Post
    Now this new take honestly i knew it was too fast. I didn't try at all and it took barely past my lumnis. And that isn't even beginning to scratch the surface on the shitshow of item difficulties which are all over the map, or straight buggy (fusion, as per a comment in discord, is confirmed too difficult because of a bug)
    I think the speed issue is due to the flawed game design where Naos or whoever have the essence gathering speed be a factor of 6 or 7 different skills & lores combined in multiplicative ways. This makes the speed low at lower skill/lore levels, and increase exponentially once one of them gets high beyond a certain point. It also makes the system hard to tweak in terms of speed and forces players to all have generic builds with 40 in each relevant lore. If they want to make this current system work, they should scrap this design idea and base essence gathering on one or two skills at the most. Something like elemental mana control increasing essence per kill, and water lore increasing essence on mana spent and call it a day.