Thread: Unbalance vs grapple flares

Default Unbalance vs grapple flares

Crit tables on wiki look similar enough, but I remember hearing that one is better than the other? Both say they don't work on uncorporeal undead, so what's the difference then?

grapple just works on more stuff
    standing between the living and the dead

unbalance has higher chance to crit kill than grapple (still weak but not impossible), but there are plenty of creatures immune to unbalance while grapple immunity is almost non-existent.
    Last edited by Maerit; 05-01-2019 at 02:03 PM.

Grapple flares are garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Maerit View Post
    unbalance has higher chance to crit kill than grapple (still weak but not impossible), but there are plenty of creatures immune to unbalance while grapple immunity is almost non-existent.
    So if you only care about highest KD chance, I guess you wanna go with grapple then?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjex View Post
    So if you only care about highest KD chance, I guess you wanna go with grapple then?
    https://gswiki.play.net/Unbalance_critical_table
    https://gswiki.play.net/Grapple_critical_table
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

I went with grapple on my armor due to less immunity mentioned above. Was most interested in knockdown abilities of it. Very happy with the choice!
    Last edited by lexbubba; 05-01-2019 at 08:06 PM.

This seems to make the point, although it might be skewed from the knockdowns.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...5AU/edit#gid=0
    Last edited by Red; 05-01-2019 at 08:41 PM.

That does seem off though, I don't know that the sample size is enough but it's still a general guide. Take for instance comparing puncutre to crush, it gives a CLEAR advantage to crush (11 knockdowns vs 4)

But looking at the crit tables, which I suppose might also be wrong (but I feel like are pretty accurate)

crush knockdowns occur on crit rank:
    right leg 4+
    left leg 4+
    right arm 7 (only 7)
    back 7 (only 7)

puncture knockdowns occur on:
    right leg 2 and 4+ (not 3)
    left leg 2 and 4+ (not 3)
    back 5 and 7

I dunno, the distribution of crits caused between slash and puncture mech flares (what they used in the test) might indicate functionally one is better than the other but it seems like puncture would be at least comparable, if not better, in the knockdown department looking at the actual crit table.

However, I do agree grapple > unbalance, if for nothing else the immunity problem.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    This seems to make the point, although it might be skewed from the knockdowns.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...5AU/edit#gid=0
    Looks like grapple is the best flare by data, from non-exotic flares anyway.