Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NYC To Ban Hot Dogs and Processed Meats To Improve Climate

Blog Entries

My home has 106 lightbulbs.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    LEDs use 85% less energy than incadecent. The average home has 45 light bulbs. There are 127.59 million homes in the US. Thats not so insignificant.

I'd say that changing light bulbs has had a huge impact along with other energy saving measures.
    And how often do you use those lights? If it's a room with a window probably near 0% during the day. I'm also going to assume 0% while you're sleeping, at work, not home, and not using that room.

In general a light bulb is used for 4 hours during a day for rooms that are used a lot, e.g. a living room or bedroom. Just because I have a light bulb in my laundry room doesn't mean it's on for anywhere near 4 hours a day. I would be surprised if it's on for an average of 3 minutes a day.

Let's say a typical family of 4 uses 4 60 watt light bulbs for 4 hours a day, just because I like the number 4. Let's use your suggestion that LEDs use 85% less energy.

That's 960 watts a day for the old bulb compared to 144 watts for the LED bulbs. Or about 3.75 dollars compared to 57 cents assuming 13 cents per KwH.

For comparison's sake a typical clothes dryer uses about 3500 watts of electricity. Using that dryer for just 2 hours a week uses more electricity than those old incandescent bulbs. Ovens and AC units use similar amounts of electricity and the AC unit is probably running a lot more than 2 hours a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    My home has 106 lightbulbs.
    Look at Mr. Moneybags over here with all of his lightbulbs. I bet they are each 100 watt old fashioned bulbs too, just sucking away at that energy while there are poor people all huddled around their 60 watt bulb, desperately trying to do their homework so they can afford a better life.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    Look at Mr. Moneybags over here with all of his lightbulbs. I bet they are each 100 watt old fashioned bulbs too, just sucking away at that energy while there are poor people all huddled around their 60 watt bulb, desperately trying to do their homework so they can afford a better life.
    The ones I don't use a lot are, because they haven't burned out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    And how often do you use those lights? If it's a room with a window probably near 0% during the day. I'm also going to assume 0% while you're sleeping, at work, not home, and not using that room.

In general a light bulb is used for 4 hours during a day for rooms that are used a lot, e.g. a living room or bedroom. Just because I have a light bulb in my laundry room doesn't mean it's on for anywhere near 4 hours a day. I would be surprised if it's on for an average of 3 minutes a day.

Let's say a typical family of 4 uses 4 60 watt light bulbs for 4 hours a day, just because I like the number 4. Let's use your suggestion that LEDs use 85% less energy.

That's 960 watts a day for the old bulb compared to 144 watts for the LED bulbs. Or about 3.75 dollars compared to 57 cents assuming 13 cents per KwH.

For comparison's sake a typical clothes dryer uses about 3500 watts of electricity. Using that dryer for just 2 hours a week uses more electricity than those old incandescent bulbs. Ovens and AC units use similar amounts of electricity and the AC unit is probably running a lot more than 2 hours a day.
    So your example family with incandescents would pay $1368.75 a year where the family with LEDs would pay $208.05 a year. Not only that but the LED family would draw that much less KwHs. Multiply that by the number of homes in the US, 127.59 million and it adds up to a fuckton.

Its one way to save like turning down your thermostat or taking shorter showers or more efficient laundry practices.

Blog Entries

Back pees in the shower.

Blog Entries

Even if LEDs didn't use less energy, they'd still be worth it because of how long they last.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    Even if LEDs didn't use less energy, they'd still be worth it because of how long they last.
    That is the reason I got them, tbh. I buy the more expensive brighter ones too.

Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    So your example family with incandescents would pay $1368.75 a year where the family with LEDs would pay $208.05 a year.
    My bad, I forgot the word "month" when talking about the cost, so that's a savings of 38 dollars a year. It is interesting how you readily accepted 4 light bulbs being on for 4 hours a day would cost almost 115 bucks a month though. Might want to start questioning things you read.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    Fo sheezy. Plus with the lighting fixtures in replacement of fluorescent, they have the tubes that don't use ballasts either. Ballasts are even more expensive than the fluorescent lights and have to be replaced every 10-15 years themselves. So you save all that too.