Thread: Post Cap Thrown Weapons

Default Post Cap Thrown Weapons

I'm currently post cap at about 13.5m exp. I think I'm ready to start training in some just-for-fun things. I'm currently UAC and have been considering adding thrown weapons on top of that. I'm having a hard time finding a lot of information on the mechanics of thrown weapons though.

1. Do you stay in hiding when hurling from hiding? If so, is the messaging of who attacked left anonymous similar to ranged attacks from hiding?
    2. Do you receive a DS push down and added crit weighting when hurling from hiding?
    3. Will I receive parry DS for any weapon that is capable of being thrown(i.e. falchion, flamberge, etc.) or only thrown specific weapons?
    4. I'm not really interested in spending big coin on thrown weapons, so would a stock of e-bladed javelins be my best option?

I'm mainly doing this for fun, but it will also be nice to be able to attack griffins without having to wait for them to attack me first. Any opinions on this are appreciated.

Thanks,

I would have reservations about doing it if you didn’t get proper type weapon for it for post-cap like that, but that is just me. I know smaller weapons from hiding usually will have you stay in hiding when you hurl them and you do get push down and ambush bonuses. Yes on the parry.

I don’t hurl at all but Iwould wonder if throwing a javelin from hiding would knock you out of it easier than something smaller, it is an aspect to consider.

The coolest thing to throw from hiding is an ice pick, which is available off the shelf in Icemule. Also chronomage daggers, but it sounds like they aren't the price range you're looking for. The shock value of an ice pick coming out of nowhere makes for decent entertainment. Be aware though, that the results will be mechanically inferior in nearly every way.
    I don't use Lich. If you want to do business with me, contact me via PM, IG, or on AIM. Or maybe use smoke signals. Don't like it, get off of my lawn.

The mechanics for thrown from hiding are pretty much identical to ranged. You'll only get parry DS from thrown weapons unless you train in other weapons bases.

My approach would be to use the lightest weapon I could that does primarily puncture damage and aim for the eyes. Unless you're hunting something heavily armored, I'd use darts rather then javelins for the lower RT (and cause you can just make more if you know/learn fletching)...but since you prolly have VANISH, it's prolly not a big deal either way.... esp if you have a shield for defense.

That said, thrown is buggy as hell and NIR have said several times it's pretty much broken... but if it's just for fun and won't miss the TPs, go for it

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
    The mechanics for thrown from hiding are pretty much identical to ranged. You'll only get parry DS from thrown weapons unless you train in other weapons bases.

My approach would be to use the lightest weapon I could that does primarily puncture damage and aim for the eyes. Unless you're hunting something heavily armored, I'd use darts rather then javelins for the lower RT (and cause you can just make more if you know/learn fletching)...but since you prolly have VANISH, it's prolly not a big deal either way.... esp if you have a shield for defense.

That said, thrown is buggy as hell and NIR have said several times it's pretty much broken... but if it's just for fun and won't miss the TPs, go for it
    There's some weird stuff that happens with RT and encumberance. I'd agree on the brokenness of the basic system, mostly because in its base form it requires you to assume weapon loss on a regular basis, without any of the benefits you get from ranged. Maybe they should just require a hurling glove and make that encbantable etc and be done with it.

But the OP said they just wanted to do it for fun, so I'll stick with my initial recommendation for a rogue.
    I don't use Lich. If you want to do business with me, contact me via PM, IG, or on AIM. Or maybe use smoke signals. Don't like it, get off of my lawn.

If you know any forgers, you can load up on elegant / superior throwaway weapons to keep yourself stocked. make them out of mithril or ora and you can get someone to eblade them for some easy 5-6x+ flaring weapons you don't care about losing. If you're doing the smaller weapons, i.e. daggers, they're generally quicker to make and you get more out of a slab than the bigger weapons so its pretty efficient. If you have a master forger doing it you might get lucky and crank out a perfect you can turn around and sell.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

The problem with smaller weapons is you don't get the +crit from ambush, like you do with melee attacks. You just get the pushdown + snipe capability. Maybe with enough +AS and Dex you could make it work with certain smaller weapons against non-heavy armor.

Honestly, hurling is a huge pain if you don't have the special, expensive, equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius1 View Post
    The problem with smaller weapons is you don't get the +crit from ambush, like you do with melee attacks. You just get the pushdown + snipe capability. Maybe with enough +AS and Dex you could make it work with certain smaller weapons against non-heavy armor.

Honestly, hurling is a huge pain if you don't have the special, expensive, equipment.
    yup, which is sad. I tried to make it work with my lowbie rogue even and it was painful. i could have tried switching to throwing something a little bigger I guess but, the whole point was to be cool dagger bro so, just gave up.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

It's funny how even $700 weapons (chronomage daggers that can triple-strike and don't knock you out of hiding) can't even make ambush-hurling mechanically viable.