Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: New computer recomendation

  1. Default New computer recomendation

    Looking for a good, under $2K, desktop gaming computer. Don't need a monitor, keyboard or mouse, just the computer itself.

    I haven't kept up with what's good anymore so looking for advice on a good prebuilt (or even a build I guess).

    I want something that'll handle complex calculations in R and Python, and great graphics for if I ever get back to gaming like WoW or similar.

    Yes, I'm old. Get over it and offer up your youthful recommendations.
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

  2. Default

    Oh, frankly under $1k is prefered, but I put $2k cause I'm a baller.
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Danger Zone
    Posts
    11,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Are you building or buying a prebuilt?
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    Are you building or buying a prebuilt?
    I'm competent enough to build it, but prebuilt is easier. I'm good either way so long as it's an Amazon/Tiger buy or a prebuilt.

    My last computer is coming up on nearly 6 years old and I built it motherboard up, it's just showing it's age and I think it'll be cheaper to buy new or build new than try to get it up to current technology.
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

  5. Default

    https://www.xidax.com

    Get a barebones from that, buy your own graphics card, stick it in. I paid $800 for a barebones, processor, hard drive, OS, Ram (Currently still the 8th fastest processor on the market a year later and 32 gigs of very fast ram). Saved a couple hundred buying the graphics card elsewhere. Works spectacularly. Great company. Plus if you buy without a graphics card, they send you a free backup shitty one because they need to throw one in to benchmark and stress test the machine.

    Edit to add: One note if you go this route. You can use their baseline model to customize and make a barebones out of, but the ram choices will suck on the bottom tier one. Just talk to a sales rep and ask if they can upgrade the ram to the choices available for the next model up. They'll do it for $50 and you'll get much nicer ram with a much better overall price for the same hardware otherwise.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 04-15-2019 at 10:25 PM.

  6. Default

    Actually thinking about it, it may be 7 years old now. And Amazon/Tiger is just an example. So long as it's an easy buy I'm ok with building something... I just don't want to invest a ton of time in it.
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage View Post
    I'm competent enough to build it, but prebuilt is easier. I'm good either way so long as it's an Amazon/Tiger buy or a prebuilt.

    My last computer is coming up on nearly 6 years old and I built it motherboard up, it's just showing it's age and I think it'll be cheaper to buy new or build new than try to get it up to current technology.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/

    I used this to upgrade my computer and it was really helpful to find out if the different parts will be compatible.

    Also, depends on what you are using your computer mainly for. Graphic games, text games (lol), data entry, etc..
    Last edited by Parkbandit; 04-15-2019 at 10:15 PM.
    RETARD HALL OF FAME

    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    There will be no war when guns are more regulated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    horrific state of conditions = the biggest election win in 40 decades
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsa`ah View Post
    Well tell that to the Naval hospital that issued a birth certificate labeled Ft Lejeune ... and then typed it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    https://pcpartpicker.com/

    I used this to upgrade my computer and it was really helpful to find out if the different parts will be compatible.

    Also, depends on what you are using your computer mainly for. Graphic games, text games (lol), data entry, etc..
    I'm really looking for someone younger to make a recommendation.

    AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA. Good times.
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage View Post
    I'm really looking for someone younger to make a recommendation.

    AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA. Good times.
    You son of a..

    This bad boy has never let me down!

    Last edited by Parkbandit; 04-15-2019 at 10:19 PM.
    RETARD HALL OF FAME

    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    There will be no war when guns are more regulated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    horrific state of conditions = the biggest election win in 40 decades
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsa`ah View Post
    Well tell that to the Naval hospital that issued a birth certificate labeled Ft Lejeune ... and then typed it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Danger Zone
    Posts
    11,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage View Post
    I'm competent enough to build it, but prebuilt is easier. I'm good either way so long as it's an Amazon/Tiger buy or a prebuilt.

    My last computer is coming up on nearly 6 years old and I built it motherboard up, it's just showing it's age and I think it'll be cheaper to buy new or build new than try to get it up to current technology.
    For prebuilts this one isn't half bad:
    https://www.amazon.com/Alienware-Gam.../dp/B076BHG74V

    Has a 1080 and a decent CPU, biggest things you're looking for. Alienware has absolutely retarded case design which make futureproofing hard if not impossible, and they run hot. You'll want an SSD for a windows boot.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •