Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UAC Gloves - Damage or Crit Weighting

I'm not sure these are overkill for a warmage. Until the weapons cause me to kill things faster than using bolt spells, they're not overkill, and I can say that in DR it takes this wizard probably 5 mins, at least, to finish the arena. That means he's slower around 2 minutes than most wizards using RF and bolting - so not overkill enough yet!
    Last edited by Maerit; 04-16-2019 at 11:30 AM.

What profession are we talking here?

I know as a rogue, I never ever kill through blood damage. Crit weighting has been super helpful for me on my gloves, because it makes a large amount of my initial "good" positioning punches to the head death crit. If I'm tiered up to exceptional, I could care less about the crit weighting because it's going to die anyways. But I noticed a massive enough increase in death crits on my first ambush, to make crit weighting pretty damn nice to me.

But if you want to be able to 6 strike focused mstrike something to death by blood loss (or haste attack?), then I could see damage weighting or flares being useful. But not really...

For the record, a good cleric can bless items at least a decent ways past HCP. 14 CER is the highest I tried, and from a capped cleric it swung till I was bored of counting. I really should put some more time into that with all the random weighted stuff in my lockers. Anyway, the big thing I learned was that the WPS decreases bless by a static number of swings, regardless of bless. So max Voln is 152 swings, at HCP it lasts for only like one swing and if you get a cleric bless on HCP it would be <cleric bless math> minus 150ish, which leaves the upper threshold a bit open, though certainly there is obviously a scaling that happens.
    "Hi, my name is Ososis and I'm blaming my shitty life for being such a fragile, soy drinking, emotionally unstable loser. My triggers are: Red reputation, ANY mention of MacGuyver and being called a fragile, soy drinking, emotionally unstable loser."

Quote Originally Posted by Ososis View Post
    For the record, a good cleric can bless items at least a decent ways past HCP. 14 CER is the highest I tried, and from a capped cleric it swung till I was bored of counting. I really should put some more time into that with all the random weighted stuff in my lockers. Anyway, the big thing I learned was that the WPS decreases bless by a static number of swings, regardless of bless. So max Voln is 152 swings, at HCP it lasts for only like one swing and if you get a cleric bless on HCP it would be <cleric bless math> minus 150ish, which leaves the upper threshold a bit open, though certainly there is obviously a scaling that happens.
    This is good to know, but at the same time a warmage swings 3-5x as much as a monk or rogue. My bard was doing symbol of blessing, which works fine on 5 CER gear, but past that point you are just wasting favor since the bard also swings for excessive amounts with 1s RT.

In the end, I think the message is - if you're going to pad your gloves, damage weighting is better for hasted attackers who don't instantly achieve excellent tier, and a minor amount of crit weighting is best for professions with masteries, ambushing, or who can achieve excellent tier immediately. I'll continue pushing to the goal of adding Damage weighting on the gloves, and they will have 5 CER of Crit weighting already. Maybe I'll stop at 5 CER damage weighting to have a nice balance because it's costing around 3.5mil to do 10 services at the new WPS wagon.

I'd actually say crit weighting is near worthless if you achieve excellent tier immediately. If it hits the right area, it's going to kill whether it has weighting or not.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius1 View Post
    I'd actually say crit weighting is near worthless if you achieve excellent tier immediately. If it hits the right area, it's going to kill whether it has weighting or not.
    Pretty near. You can dip slightly under the death crit if you get unlucky with crit randomization. Especially if you're talking boots and aiming torso because you can't reach the head. 95% of the time the thing's on the ground though and head works. Punch to the neck or head can slip under slightly too even when hitting the open ambush in the right spot. Somewhat-Heavy is enough to push it over to where if you hit the spot, you're gonna death crit.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 04-17-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    Pretty near. You can dip slightly under the death crit if you get unlucky with crit randomization. Especially if you're talking boots and aiming torso because you can't reach the head. 95% of the time the thing's on the ground though and head works. Punch to the neck or head can slip under slightly too even when hitting the open ambush in the right spot. Somewhat-Heavy is enough to push it over to where if you hit the spot, you're gonna death crit.
    Hmm, a kick to the torso should be the same as a crit to the head.

https://gswiki.play.net/Kick_critical_table_(UCS)

But yeah, perhaps at times it could get you over that threshold. In the end it depends mostly on what your end rolls look like. If you're often just barely hitting, then it could perhaps be useful. For me personally, it's all about the good tier death crits, though.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius1 View Post
    Hmm, a kick to the torso should be the same as a crit to the head.

https://gswiki.play.net/Kick_critical_table_(UCS)

But yeah, perhaps at times it could get you over that threshold. In the end it depends mostly on what your end rolls look like. If you're often just barely hitting, then it could perhaps be useful. For me personally, it's all about the good tier death crits, though.

I can't get to the wiki from my office without my VPN up or I'd have checked it out. I forget which was which. There was some combo where a torso death crit and head death crit were one tier off. Maybe it was punch. It's not something you have to worry about unless you're a gnome/halfling. Either way though, you don't need much crit weighting if you're at excellent tier to make sure you always kill it in one hit.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 04-17-2019 at 11:22 AM.

On my monk, I have damage (and greater fire flares) on my gloves and crit on my boots. I never really aim my attacks, I basically just indiscriminately mstrike everything (mostly focused unless there are more than 3 creatures) and it kills stuff. Takes 5 seconds to aim a kick, or 5 seconds for a focused mstrike, so I never really saw the sense in aiming (though I will finish with a kick to the abdomen in the rare even that I'm low on stamina). My monk's a halfling anyhow, so I usually can't kick anywhere vital without some sort of knockdown first.

My logic in putting damage on the gloves was that if I'm gonna jab/punch something 5 or 6 times, that extra damage probably adds up, especially with the flares. I never bothered to do the math, but stuff seems to die well enough.

10. Default

Some of the perspectives in this thread may be based degree of uphunting or not. For instance, getting a knockdown almost everytime with UAC sounds like hunting like level. I am currently using UAC to uphunt over 10 levels, I don't get a lot of tier ups or knockdowns from targetted mstrike. But as far as I know, flares still work when uphunting. So for uphunting, flares are a sort of can opener for open hunting with UAC.
    Your mind is completely fucked. It is imperative that you unfuck immediately!