Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When bolting makes a difference?

targeting non grouped players secondly, is a moot point, if all the creatures are on the ground when someone comes in.

the fact that 709 does persist and continue to pull enemies down is why i don't use it.. i like the 1 and done of 410... even if more dangerous for a passer by you only have that half a second where someone could walk in.

709 arms go up in monsterbold making it harder to distinguish what's going on in the room.

personal preference... and we're supposed to be discussing bolting anyways

Bolting Is great in bandits with baelfire. One cast and you touch all of them, often stun them without killing them so, this is great because you get bounty credit and get exp for everything. Just remember curse of the star to raise your AS.
    Also, bolting makes your 720 better, and I can use it against champions in otf. As they have a very high TD.
    Last edited by Xred; 04-08-2019 at 06:04 PM.
    Join the Gemstone Player’s Union. Promoting a sustainable gemstone and player’s rights.

Agree, bolting really only shines for bandits only in everyday life.

709 has the perception of being more unfriendly than it really is. Because of all the monsterbold.

It doesn't matter how much factual evidence is posted contrary to that, the average person is ignorant to sorcerer spells (as they should be) and will think you're BM'ing by using the spell consistently.

I used it a lot in bowels and Nelemar (sub 100). I'd rather piss people off than die and I recommend others do the same.

Also agree that 709 and 711 is probably the most OP single target locking combo in the game.

Edit: Also I think it's really cool people disagree with each other at the high levels on certain aspects. There's way too many games out there where everyone agrees on a min/max and you see little to no diversity.
    Last edited by Dantx; 04-08-2019 at 10:26 PM.

I copied the Bolt DF chart from the wiki and plugged in my lore ranks to see which bolt would be best for me in various situations. My Google spreadsheet is linked below. Because I have so many spirit summoning ranks, web bolt has the highest DF in many situations. Still, I kill stuff a lot quicker with Balefire because of the demon flares.

For group hunting, Web bolt is great if you have a good chance of webbing the target. The crits are unbalance, so there are a lot of immune critters.

The spells in yellow are the ones I like to use. I prepared this chart before the release of Cone of Elements and Telekinesis and before the release of self-knowledge scrolls. Infused SK scrolls open up broader opportunities for bolt spells. I *think* you get full credit for lore ranks on outside spells when using SK scrolls.

I you want to make a copy and plug in your own lore ranks, then the only thing you will need to change are the lore numbers highlighted in blue on the Data tab.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    FWI room 2
    Warped Wooden Hut
    Lich ID 3870

Quote Originally Posted by nindon View Post
    I *think* you get full credit for lore ranks on outside spells when using SK scrolls.
    So, if you had 20+ ranks of fire lore, and you had SK 903 from a scroll, would you be able to prep / evoke 1707?

Quote Originally Posted by Maerit View Post
    So, if you had 20+ ranks of fire lore, and you had SK 903 from a scroll, would you be able to prep / evoke 1707?
    That would be a smart way to test it.

You would. For that time you just know the spell, it works exactly as if you trained it innately.

"Differences" with native casters are spells that have a "x bonus per spell circle", you still only know ONE spell, it just happens to not be the level 1 spell. So your scaling will still be worse for those.

A few bonuses are not part of the spell but are CLASS bonuses. For instance the level-based scaling for 1202 only applies to MONKS, not everyone who "knows" iron skin, in fantasy land where savants are released they would not receive that portion of the bonus even when training the spell.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by Donquix View Post
    You would. For that time you just know the spell, it works exactly as if you trained it innately.

"Differences" with native casters are spells that have a "x bonus per spell circle", you still only know ONE spell, it just happens to not be the level 1 spell. So your scaling will still be worse for those.

A few bonuses are not part of the spell but are CLASS bonuses. For instance the level-based scaling for 1202 only applies to MONKS, not everyone who "knows" iron skin, in fantasy land where savants are released they would not receive that portion of the bonus even when training the spell.
    Yeah, but 1202 is a minor spell circle, so you still get full lore benefit. Anyone with 101 ranks in ML - transformation +4 from an enhancive could get the equivalent of I believe brigadine (AsG 12) armor while having no spell hindrance. Monks get up to AsG 18 (augmented plate) way post cap when they have the TPs for the lore. Of course, you don't get the CvA of brig though.... but for a pure that's still not a problem.

There's really not a lot of benefits other than lore benefits for bolting spells to improve their DF. A non-wizard is going to get 1/3rd of their lore benefit applied to the spell when cast. However, if you convert 903 into 1707, I am not sure there would be any degradation in lore since it's an arcane spell.
    Last edited by Maerit; 04-10-2019 at 12:35 AM.

I snazzed up my bolt DF spreadsheet. The new version should work for every profession. Enter your lore ranks and use the drop down list to choose your profession. It will underline the highest DF for you against each armor class. You will need to make a copy in your Google drive account to use it. Here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Did I get anything wrong?
    FWI room 2
    Warped Wooden Hut
    Lich ID 3870

Thank you so much for this. What is funny is i’ve never even thought about armor before. Is there a list of OTF creatures and what they wear? Also bandits wear all like brig or heavier?
    Join the Gemstone Player’s Union. Promoting a sustainable gemstone and player’s rights.