Thread: Returnee looking for a bit of input

1. Default Returnee looking for a bit of input

Ok I'll preface with just returned and except for 2 aborted attempts to return in 2006 and I think 2013/2014 it's been since 2001 since I played extensively.

The character I'm looking for advice/input on was originally created as a Cleric, no Paladin class at the time , played as a Paladin however and converted when the opportunity arose

If curious as to why stats placed as they are , or training choices made,, I can not tell you,, I think this character was spat out of Thrak's in 1997 or 98 , I just don't remember I've got gear I don't even remember what the stats are on them sadly.

Oh, I'm not worried about being the mostest with the bestest . Viability is what I'm most interested in.

Anyways...

Name: Shaimal Thainson Race: Giantman Profession: Paladin (not shown)
    Normal (Bonus)
    Strength (STR): 81 (30)
    Constitution (CON): 83 (26)
    Dexterity (DEX): 86 (13)
    Agility (AGI): 86 (13)
    Discipline (DIS): 73 (11)
    Aura (AUR): 81 (10)
    Logic (LOG): 73 (6) .
    Intuition (INT): 70 (10)
    Wisdom (WIS): 85 (17)
    Influence (INF): 43 (2)

Shaimal (at level 27), your base skill bonuses, ranks and goals are:
    Skill Name | Actual Actual
    | Bonus Ranks Goals In-Game Time to Goal
    Armor Use..........................| 156 56 56
    Shield Use.........................| 114 28 28
    Combat Maneuvers...................| 114 28 28
    Edged Weapons......................| 156 56 56
    Two-Handed Weapons.................| 155 55.807 0 60 days, 15 hours, 59 minutes
    Polearm Weapons....................| 35 7 51 ASAP (will rise when points are available)
    Multi Opponent Combat..............| 66 14 14
    Physical Fitness...................| 114 28 28
    Dodging............................| 66 14 19 ASAP (will rise when points are available)
    Harness Power......................| 66 14 14
    Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 45 9 9
    Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 45 9 9
    Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 50 10 10
    Survival...........................| 5 1 1
    Perception.........................| 25 5 5
    Climbing...........................| 25 5 5
    Swimming...........................| 25 5 5
    First Aid..........................| 5 1 1

Spell Lists
    Paladin............................| 21 21
    Training Points: 4 Phy 5 Mnt

I think it's obvious I migrated TPS/ranks away from THW to Polearms,, I already have a THW body to play with and thought going Polearm would be something different.

Currently have a glassy black eonake falchion, weapon wise, armor wise, like wrote earlier , I have a number of sets of armor , I just don't remember what any of the stats on them are anymore.

Anyways,, in advance thanks for any input.

2. Default

Well the first thing I can offer you is the knowledge that even following a core training plan for Paladins the TPs are extremely tight. You have quite the mutant build here. My first suggestion would pick a weapon style and stick with JUST that.

So if you have a 1 OHE you want to use...pick up a shield (probably tower) and drop dodging, polearm, THW. If you can start picking up a rank of ambush here and there. My 70 paladin has 25 ranks. Really helps when you go for the 1-2 of 1615 and ambush head. 1 OHE weapon fighting is slow otherwise.

Lores are something most people say to wait for later in training to pick up with the exception of Religion to 25 I think for maximum kneel benefits of 1615 and 1630.

Armor training looks like you're 2x in which seems like another preference. Some say 3x to get into plate as fast as you can.

You may also try to 1x HP and throw some Spiritual Mana control in there. You need 24 ranks to use 1640 (a ways off it looks like). 25 to get an extra 1 mana regen.

Ok, my .02, and that is about how much it is likely worth, is that paladins go into one of two types, a tank or a wrecking crew. The spells inherent in the class allow either, in fact I would say they intentionally were built that way. If you want to be a tank, go OHE or OHB, get a big ole shield and you will rarely take damage. Or you can go the wrecking crew route, which is what I did. I did not plug in your stats so I cannot say what they will look like later on, but for an example of a polearm build here is mine at 52:

(at level 52), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
    Skill Name | Current Current | Bonus Ranks
    Armor Use..........................| 208 108
    Combat Maneuvers...................| 153 53
    Polearm Weapons....................| 208 108
    Multi Opponent Combat..............| 120 30
    Physical Fitness...................| 153 53
    Dodging............................| 153 53
    Harness Power......................| 147 47
    Spirit Mana Control................| 105 25
    Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 58 12
    Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 40 8
    Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 20 4
    Perception.........................| 152 52
    Climbing...........................| 140 40
    Swimming...........................| 58 12

Spell Lists
    Minor Spiritual....................| 3

Spell Lists
    Paladin............................| 39
    Training Points: 97 Phy 0 Mnt (142 Phy converted to Mnt)

Now that is by no means the only way to go about it, but it is how I did. He is a dark elf, so RT for poles was never an issue for him, but it might be for giantkin. Full disclosure, he hunts about 95% of the time with a cleric friend so he is seldom alone which changes things a fair amount.
    Last edited by kutter; 03-28-2019 at 08:33 AM.

4. Default

Also what society is your Paladin in? Was Guardians of Sunfist around when you last played? If not I would definitely check out the gswiki page on Guardians of Sunfist (GOS) because they have some amazing society abilities and you're just on the cusp of where it becomes really really difficult to solo advancement. The sigils (their version of COL signs and Voln symbols) take mana and stamina. Paladins have a spell, 1607, that can return stamina and provides a bonus to stamina regeneration. You need some lores for the stamina regen though and I think its blessing.

I know the above poster mentioned wrecking crew with 2H weapons but even with 1H weapons and 1605, 1618, sigil of major bane (on hated foes) and when you get to 1650 and able to use Incarnate Zeal...your little weapon can put out quite some large numbers. Especially if you're focusing Mstrikes.

(at level 70), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
    Skill Name | Current Current
    | Bonus Ranks
    Armor Use..........................| 250 150
    Shield Use.........................| 244 144
    Combat Maneuvers..............| 172 72
    Edged Weapons...................| 244 144
    Ambush.............................| 105 25
    Multi Opponent Combat.........| 155 55
    Physical Fitness...................| 184 84
    Harness Power.....................| 164 64
    Spirit Mana Control...............| 105 25
    Spiritual Lore - Blessings........| 58 12
    Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 120 30
    Perception..........................| 140 40
    Climbing.............................| 120 30
    Swimming...........................| 90 20

Spell Lists
    Minor Spiritual....................| 20

Spell Lists
    Paladin............................| 50

i'm paladin non knowledgeable, but the example of level 70... went without dodge because of shield. so a paladin using a 2hd polearm should probably grab some yes.

I'm going for a thing similar to kutter.. i'll drop down PF from where he's at to make up some other secondary skills..
    Last edited by Roiken; 04-08-2019 at 02:52 AM.