Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: GMs want me to scale back Dreavenings

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    Are you asking questions through their softballquestions bot?
    Yep. Then it gets erased.

Oh, and you can't type in the GM question area anymore either. They even restricted that too.
    Last edited by Fortybox; 03-21-2019 at 09:17 PM.

2. Default

lol should have asked my comment in general in gmquestions oh well

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    That's a pretty vague story. But I believe it anyway.

Dreaven should introduce Dreavencoins to the game.
    he pretty much yelled at me and told me the question was already answered or some crap like that

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fortybox View Post
    Yep. Then it gets erased.

Oh, and you can't type in the GM question area anymore either. They even restricted that too.
    It's another method for them to ghost questions they don't want to answer. Still, the GM Questions section was just a sycophantic love-in before.
    Last edited by Taernath; 03-21-2019 at 09:27 PM.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Blog Entries

Haven't read this thread beyond the first page and I don't play anymore but, Dreavenings allowed me to play around and try different builds, most of which wouldn't have had a chance of survival without seriously underhunting.

Way to suppress character experimentation, Simu!

Not that I really care now but yeah, lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I like penis.
    We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men. Edward R. Murrow

Ignoreuser Ignore Author

Re: GM's trying to shut down dreavenings on 03/21/2019 08:28 PM CDT

Links-arrows 27

Reply Reply

I'll start another thread going over some of the details of lag, but no one asked Dreaven to stop what he was doing. There were two concerns that were brought up today. Estild asked Dreaven if he could reduce the number of people he spells up at one time. Estild mentioned a number of 16, because this is a number before things start to degrade on our end. Not just spell ups, but many other things going on with the game. The current number of the Dreavening was 60 though, so Estild asked to try 30. Now, there was some discussion on POLICY 18 issues, strictly talking about spell botting. As long as Dreaven is at the keys and not using triggers, there is no concerns though, which was explained by Estild.

Wyrom, PM

Estild mentioned a number of 16, because this is a number before things start to degrade on our end.
    Bitch, what the fuck do you mean, 'degrade on our end'?

As many have experienced, we've been having issues with lag for quite awhile now, most prominently felt on Wednesday nights. This is largely due to two events that go on during this time, Guild Night and Hand of the Arkati's Reim hunt. For the last several weeks, we've been running tests in the background to track the causes of the lag. We actually thought we found something significant last month, but it turned out to only be adding to the lag, not the cause. Removing that issue was only speeding things up by a few milliseconds at best.

In these tests, we identified 3 issues.

* The room window on how it updates.
    * The command queue.
    * Spell effects on characters.

The issues aren't the servers, those were all upgraded a few years ago. The issue isn't the GSL layer of the game where the GameMasters work. It's the game engine that is choking. The honest answer is, the game was never built with the level of automation and efficiency that is going on with third-party software. One of our onsite developers is working on resolving two of those issues, the room window (which is largely third-person messaging) and the command queue. GemStone IV is single-threaded, so everything is processed one at a time. When you type in a command, it goes into a queue to execute. Usually this is very quick, so you don't feel it. But as more and more commands get entered, the queue starts to grow to a degree where we see lag. Any time a script inputs a command to check to see if it can do anything else over and over, it's having an overall impact on the game. The room window issue starts to become noticeable when lots of action is going on. Hand of the Arkati's Reim hunt is one of them. Another are places like CCF when groups of over 100 people were all in a room. These things are being worked on though, and we should have some stuff on GemStone IV Test soon (we had some things previously, but we ended up needing to retool a number of things).

The spell messaging is starting to also be an issue as well. We've always had mass spells, and getting them in large groups were always possible. But back in the day it was three mass spells and maybe a few casts of some other things like light/deep blues, a disk, a shot of strength, etc. The spell messaging issues isn't just spell ups either, but it's a major component to it. It's usually what gets things muddied. A Dreavening has everyone walking out with over a dozen spells. That player numbers use to be over 100 because we get messaged whenever the auto-silence effect goes into place. We were told by Dreaven that it's been limited to 60, but it's still not enough to show a noticeable increase on performance. We asked him to reduce that number to 30. If it's not something that we can resolve even by reducing the number, we might have to put group limits into place (like many other games) to see if that helps. This will impact invasions and storylines. We're not trying to go this route, but we have to adapt to how people are playing the game if the tools we have can't support unlimited numbers. And no, there isn't a quick tool for GMs to do to rework this. No flag that would make it easier.

I'll hopefully have some announcements in the next couple of days with some engine updates.
    Suspiciously absent "We asked the Hand of Arkati to make changes". At least its honest about the age of the game engine.

9. Default

unfucking believable..

Quote Originally Posted by AnOrdim View Post
    Suspiciously absent "We asked the Hand of Arkati to make changes". At least its honest about the age of the game engine.