Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: GMs want me to scale back Dreavenings

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    No because wow sucks donkey balls
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

I'm really shocked people haven't created GS4 private servers. Maybe it exists and isn't public knowledge. Seems like it would be easier being text based and all the mapping and programmers here from lich. Current games like WoW and cancelled games like SWG and Asheron's call have them. The subscription price for such an old text base game and people seem to be fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprion View Post
    I'm really shocked people haven't created GS4 private servers. Maybe it exists and isn't public knowledge. Seems like it would be easier being text based and all the mapping and programmers here from lich. Current games like WoW and cancelled games like SWG and Asheron's call have them. The subscription price for such an old text base game and people seem to be fine with that.
    There's no way to make a private server of GS4, far as I know. I mean, if there were, it'd probably incur the wrath of Simutronics because of the small population. It'd be impossible to ignore a portion of the population migrating elsewhere.

4. Default

Hahaha. MUD code is entirely server side. It's not like WoW where you've got 80 gigabytes of resources on a local drive and the server is just manipulating them. Everything happens on Simu's computer and it prints text at you. The only way to create a private gemstone server would be to get a copy of their codebase. The closest thing you could get to recreating it otherwise would be to just start from one of the free mud codebases and try to emulate Gemstone's systems. Diku works very differently than Gemstone does at the bottom level, so you're basically rewriting it all.

Edit to add: But yes, I agree with the sentiment that plat is stupid, especially in Gemstone's case where development and GM time are already strained to the limit. Plat means you have to do every event twice. For 5 people who could just be playing on the test server for the same experience.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 03-23-2019 at 10:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprion View Post
    People have made MUDs that are similar to GS, but most people stay with GS because they have so much shit in it.
    Last edited by Gelston; 03-24-2019 at 03:33 AM.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

6. Default

Is there some bug they are troubleshooting that was related to the group size? Seems like they only temporarily(and of course in Simu time that means 5-7 years) banned you from large groups.

And the automatic spell ups is a little weak to enforce, especially if you are there watching, but then again -- how can they confirm you are there watching other than script checking every time?

Overall, not a bad GM intervention. I've had worse.

7. Default

And to all posting about recreating Gemstone on a Free to Play platform(which Simu already provides) -- every single room is already available to players. The only thing left to create are the verbs and combat system, much of which is also documented through player logs. It would take some effort but is doable. I don't suggest it though, quite pointless when Simu provides it.

Quote Originally Posted by liquiddrool View Post
    Is there some bug they are troubleshooting that was related to the group size? Seems like they only temporarily(and of course in Simu time that means 5-7 years) banned you from large groups.

And the automatic spell ups is a little weak to enforce, especially if you are there watching, but then again -- how can they confirm you are there watching other than script checking every time?

Overall, not a bad GM intervention. I've had worse.
    They didn’t really explain why they allowed larger group sizes again, they just said they changed something.

How well do you all think this would go over with the GMs?

>We'll have updates on this in April. It will be in the policy topic.

Alright. I still have people today asking me when I can bring the services back because they have been trying to find people to help them out to no avail. So these people who claimed they were robbed of interactions because of me apparently aren't stepping in to help or there aren't as many people who wanted to help out as they thought.

I've had some people message me saying they enjoyed having the same person eblade their arrows because apparently mixing eblades from different casters doesn't work and it was nice to have a reliable way to have the same caster be available to offer eblading.

I found a way to provide armor support, armor evasion, and armored fluidity by saving their preference and then running a script that goes through everyone in the room and gives them the armor choice they asked for. No trigger needed.

Offering up blesses again was as simple as just having people send me a private message on LNet, no in game triggers there.

It seems to me to suddenly enforce this rule without any discussion beforehand was to appease a very small number of players against the wishes and wants of a much larger number of players.

I have tried my best to not disrupt the enjoyment of others by the nature of Dreavenings. I moved them away from TSW not only to help reduce server lag and to prevent another crash, but also to move the "bots" away from a public space and move them to a private place where only people who actively seek out my services would be bothered. I have also within the past week made many changes to again further reduce the strain my events have on the server, even though not a single person (even the people who cheered this bot enforcement rule) has ever said they notice lag from my castings.

I understand having bots running around 24/7 would be bad for the game, I can also understand the need to get bots out of public spaces such as TSC. But are we really going to suggest that an event that lasts for 15 minutes every 4 hours 2-4 times a day and takes places at a private table is going to ruin the game's integrity, but the integrity will be kept in tact if I simply push a single key to run a macro that ends up doing the exact same thing as a reactive script?

I can't fathom how TAPping one of my characters for armor support ruins the game but having the same character just provide everyone in the room with armor support doesn't.

Since this all seems to boil down to a 2-3 second delay on my part to hit a macro key as opposed to it happening instantly I'll go ahead and code a random delay into the script to make everything seem more "natural." I also won't have my characters auto repeat the services they provide anymore, people will have to ask how to get those services or remember it.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 03-30-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Alright. I still have people today asking me when I can bring the services back because they have been trying to find people to help them out to no avail. So these people who claimed they were robbed of interactions because of me apparently aren't stepping in to help or there aren't as many people who wanted to help out as they thought.
    lol'ed heartily
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.