Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: combat Maneuver advice

Default combat Maneuver advice

Level 35 Rogue, trained in brawling and ranged, and a Voln master. I have 12 training points for Combat Maneuvers and I am wondering what I should train in. Currently using UAC in the open to hunt.

I have made a list of the ones I think might be best;

Silent strike
    Predator's Eye
    Combat Toughness
    Cutthroat
    Dirtkick
    Evade Mastery
    Groin Kick
    Striking Asp Stance
    Sucker Punch
    Vanish
    Whirling Dervish

Any thoughts, suggestions?

I have been playing with Asp recently because I do a LOT of quickstrikes, and for me the 1minute cooldown is basically forever, I don't notice a difference in my killabillity that justified the points for my warrior. Dervish is GREAT (assuming you have a decent flurry of MSTRIKEs and utilize your free mstrikes on a regular basis) I rocked it from like 40-cap. At cap I found that precise attacks were much more valuable in the sketchy hunting locations, so continuing on unexpectedly cause me some hardships for very little gain. I think evade mastery is the only one I see on there that "I" would consider vital, and in plate my returns are much less. 3% to your 21% (assuming leathers?) I LOVE Evade/Block/Perry percentages since its not just avoiding % "hits" but also % reduction in stuns, RT stacks, and straight insta kills.

Obviously this is all coming from warrior eye, so take that into consideration.
    "Hi, my name is Ososis and I'm blaming my shitty life for being such a fragile, soy drinking, emotionally unstable loser. My triggers are: Red reputation, ANY mention of MacGuyver and being called a fragile, soy drinking, emotionally unstable loser."

I'd go for Combat Toughness or Evade Mastery, personally....

... But, it really depends on a few factors: how's your defense? do you already use a martial stance? do you have a disabler that you use regularly already (ala feint or rogue gambits)? are you at max health and use con/health enhancives? are you planning on ranged-sniping at any time?
    ~Crazy Cat Lady, Player of Cylnthia~

Depending on your brawling set up a single rank of precision for 4 points will either be very handy, or totally worthless. And on that thought, often the final 1-2 ranks are very point intensive and you may be better off adding a few more rank 1 skills in things you don't have instead of spending it to make one of your solid CMANs slight solider.
    "Hi, my name is Ososis and I'm blaming my shitty life for being such a fragile, soy drinking, emotionally unstable loser. My triggers are: Red reputation, ANY mention of MacGuyver and being called a fragile, soy drinking, emotionally unstable loser."

at lvl 35 dervish is gonna be really hard for a rogue to get since you need 30 MOC maybe come back to that at a later time
    standing between the living and the dead

Crap, looked at the wrong column and didn't think you could get Combat Mobility, which if I were born again I would get rank 1 WAY earlier than I did. I consider rank 1 a vital skill for warriors, and I don't know anything about anybody beyon warriors, so I don't know how well it translates. (this is another good example about how a low rank in many skills USUALLY outweigh the cost/benefits of trying to max out a single skill.

for Dervish, I wouldn't recommend it for less than 3 swings in an mstrike, and I personally wouldn't get it with less than 4

evade mastery and vanish foshizzle
    Last edited by Derex; 03-16-2019 at 04:01 PM.
    standing between the living and the dead

Quote Originally Posted by Ososis View Post
    Crap, looked at the wrong column and didn't think you could get Combat Mobility, which if I were born again I would get rank 1 WAY earlier than I did. I consider rank 1 a vital skill for warriors, and I don't know anything about anybody beyon warriors, so I don't know how well it translates. (this is another good example about how a low rank in many skills USUALLY outweigh the cost/benefits of trying to max out a single skill.
    Abso-effing-lutely... Combat Mobility, at least rank 1, is an absolute MUST for anyone who can train it, as early as freaking possible. It isn't on OP's list, but if they don't have it already, they really, really should.
    ~Crazy Cat Lady, Player of Cylnthia~

I forgot to mention that I have trained in ;
    Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
    Combat Movement cmovement 5
    Cunning Defense cdefense 1
    Kick Mastery kmastery 1

Also, I started this character many years ago... I'm not sure why I didn't train her in MOC, but she only has two trainings in it. I suppose I should remove all of the ranged and put those points into MOC.

Did I see a question about what armor I am wearing, brigandine. As a dark elf, I only have 121 hps. But I should have some redux.

do you already use a martial stance? do you have a disabler that you use regularly already (ala feint or rogue gambits)? are you at max health and use con/health enhancives? are you planning on ranged-sniping at any time?
    Yikes! pretty much no on most of the above. And at this point the brawling is working well for me so I don't know that I will switch to ranged/sniping.

Meanwhile, I am still working through the replies. And thank you for the suggestions!!
    Last edited by BHawk; 03-16-2019 at 08:30 PM.

Updated;
    your Combat Maneuver training is as follows:

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
    Combat Movement cmovement 5
    Combat Mobility mobility 1
    Evade Mastery emastery 1
    Cunning Defense cdefense 1
    Kick Mastery kmastery 1

Available Combat Maneuver Training Points: 3