Thread: Shenmue 3

Blog Entries

Default Shenmue 3

Anyone else watching the development of this with... I dunno, a little trepidation?

The Shenmue series came out nearly 20 years ago, and at the time it was sort of revolutionary. It looked amazing and introduced or popularized mechanics like QTEs, vast amounts of minigames, 'open' worlds, and that thing where you have to tail somebody without being noticed. It was also a commercial failure, due at least partially to being tied to the failed Dreamcast, super awkward dialogue ("Hey mister, wanna wrestle?"), plot pacing that was all kinds of fucked up, and that thing where you have to tail somebody without being noticed. A lot of the development choices really wouldn't fly for modern gamers.

The third entry had been in development hell until a few years ago, and it's due to release this summer. Anyone really looking forward to it?
    Last edited by Taernath; 03-15-2019 at 06:05 PM.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

2. Default

The first one was bad ass. Yokusaka was designed perfectly and they really nailed the immersion factor by making every single NPC have their own set daily routine. Never played the 2nd. 3rd one is looking really rough around the edges and from what I gather the budget isn't all that big.

Blog Entries

Collector's edition going to be up for sale only at Limited Run games in a couple of hours. It's got a Dreamcast case. 9/9/99, ride or die fuckers!
    Last edited by Taernath; 09-09-2019 at 09:59 AM.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Blog Entries

I thought pk came back at first, but then I saw the dates.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam